Author Topic: shaking screen while playing Ultimate Tiger?  (Read 525 times)

Buster D

shaking screen while playing Ultimate Tiger?
« on: July 24, 2006, 01:37:24 AM »
I just got a used copy of Ultimate Tiger, but for some reason the screen shakes slightly when the game loads up.  It's on the title screen and during gameplay.  It kinda looks like when a film reel, old VHS tape, or poor TV reception judders or something. Everything else seems fine, and doesn't make the game totally unplayable, but it is damn annoying.

I'm having this problem on my DUO-R modded by D-Lite, and the problem occurs on both the S-Video output and the original AV output.  Don't have another system I can check it on (just a non-modded US Duo), but the problem doesn't occur on any of my other HuCard or CD games, and I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my monitor.

I can probably get my money back for the game next time I go out to that store (if ever, they didn't have much), but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Black Tiger

Re: shaking screen while playing Ultimate Tiger?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:08:17 PM »
Quote from: "Buster D"
I just got a used copy of Ultimate Tiger, but for some reason the screen shakes slightly when the game loads up.  It's on the title screen and during gameplay.  It kinda looks like when a film reel, old VHS tape, or poor TV reception judders or something. Everything else seems fine, and doesn't make the game totally unplayable, but it is damn annoying.

I'm having this problem on my DUO-R modded by D-Lite, and the problem occurs on both the S-Video output and the original AV output.  Don't have another system I can check it on (just a non-modded US Duo), but the problem doesn't occur on any of my other HuCard or CD games, and I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my monitor.

I can probably get my money back for the game next time I go out to that store (if ever, they didn't have much), but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

That happens sometimes when games aren't connected properly.

Weird things like that used to happen a lot more frequently when using my kisado convertor(another connection to line up).

Sometimes, but not often, the signal would get screwed up and there'd be 4 screens on my tv. There's a trick to do this on purpose with at least one early TG-16 game, but its more of a glitch than a trick.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Buster D

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:15:04 PM »
Hmm, the connectors all looked fine, and I tried taking the game out and re-inserting it a number of times, so I guess it's a problem inside the HuCard.  I'll try cleaning it with a pencil eraser when I get home, though.  Usually Japanese stores will clean used games, but this one seemed kinda unprofessional, like a big pawn shop.  The Dreamcast Arcade Stick I bought from them even had a little bit of rust on the metal part of the joystick...

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 06:55:26 PM »
Quote from: "Buster D"
Hmm, the connectors all looked fine, and I tried taking the game out and re-inserting it a number of times, so I guess it's a problem inside the HuCard.  I'll try cleaning it with a pencil eraser when I get home, though.  Usually Japanese stores will clean used games, but this one seemed kinda unprofessional, like a big pawn shop.  The Dreamcast Arcade Stick I bought from them even had a little bit of rust on the metal part of the joystick...

I've got mint HuCards that need to be reinserted 10 times into mint consoles to get them to boot up correctly.

Of course, they usually play fine after that.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Buster D

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:06:19 PM »
Do you mean it sometimes takes 10 times for the game to load up properly (like with the graphics and sound working like they should and not messed up), or for it to load up at all?  And is this with or without a converter?

Because my copy loads up, it's just that the graphics don't look like they should.

grahf

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 08:07:17 AM »
Yeah, even brand new games/systems dont always work if they've been sitting for a long time. The metal just oxidizes over time. Just play that sucker a bunch of times, and youll be good.

Buster D

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 05:45:33 PM »
Well, I cleaned the game, and tried re-inserting it and booting it up about 20 times.  No change whatsoever.

Looks like this game is gonna get trashed if I can't get my money back.  I guess if I ever find just a working HuCard on the cheap, I'll have a nice case and manual to go with it.

Bonknuts

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:01:16 PM »
I think he means: insert/re-insert the game 10 times real fast( with the power off ofcourse!). This is what I have to do to some hucards - it cleans the contacts. You have dirty contacts :cry:

Buster D

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 06:28:10 PM »
Huh?  I don't think re-inserting the game 10 more times is going to make a difference at this point, whether I turn the power on after re-inserting it or not...

Bonknuts

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 10:44:52 AM »
Huh?

Umm.. it's called dirty contacts - the pins/leads on the hucard not making good contact with the pins/leads of the system -  assuming the rom isn't damaged :wink: . I've had a stubborn hucard the took a hell of a lot of cleaning with denatured alcohol to get it working, even though the pins appeared to be clean - go figure.

Digi.k

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:48:30 AM »
sounds like it needs cleaning..  I just give mine a quick rub with a lil'drop white spirit onto cloth or tissue.

You need to make sure its very dry before loading it up..  I sometimes get a white screen doing this but rubbing it again with dry tissue or cloth and the problem goes and it works everytime now for me.

Buster D

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 02:25:51 PM »
Like I mentioned above, I already cleaned it pretty thoroughly with a pencil eraser, like you had to clean the expansion port on the Genesis after using a Sega CD for a while.  I'll try some solvents, but I don't think it's going to do any good.

Bonknuts

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »
Sorry, I meant by inserting/re-inserting 10-15 times real fast - cleans the contact pins of the system.

Buster D

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 04:13:52 PM »
Yeah, I tried that too.

Digi.k

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 10:05:09 PM »
when I first got my pc engine 2nd I too cleaned everything including getting a q-tip and with a lil' drop of solvent cleaned the inside card slot of the pc engine (which is risky)!  

this may or may not be of much use but I remember one time I had really bad flicker with Parasol Stars which I wondered what the hell is wrong with my machine now...  but it turned out that the voltage had been adjusted on my power supply (I got one of those universal power supply things) and turning back up to 9 volts it worked fine again..