Author Topic: Question about Shinobi PC Engine.  (Read 736 times)

T2KFreeker

Question about Shinobi PC Engine.
« on: August 05, 2006, 02:33:46 PM »
I have the GP32 and the ROM, but I have the actualy Hu Card coming, or else I would never have done the ROM, seriously, but I have to ask. Although I am blown away by the amazing graphics here on this version as it looks almost perfect to the arcade version of the game, did they not include the 3D levels with the shurikens? I loved the bonus stages back in the day as it was one of the things that lured me to Shinobi in the arcades as the star throwing just looked awesome for its time. It's just that the ROM I have seems tobe missing those stages and I wanted to know if they are indeed missing from the actual Hu Card as well.
END OF LINE.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 03:05:43 PM »
I have no clue what GP32 is... doesn't sound very exciting.  Anyway, Shinobi for the PC Engine is missing the bonus stages as well as the entire second level (consisting of 3 stages and a boss fight).  Kind of pisses me off as the second level was a really good one.  And I enjoyed the bonus stages as well.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 03:11:08 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
I have no clue what GP32 is... doesn't sound very exciting.  Anyway, Shinobi for the PC Engine is missing the bonus stages as well as the entire second level (consisting of 3 stages and a boss fight).  Kind of pisses me off as the second level was a really good one.  And I enjoyed the bonus stages as well.

Hmm, that sucks. Oh well, at least I can enjoy what is there. Why in the Hell would these parts be missing though as it just seems like the system would be more than capable of handling them. That is a bummer. To think, I see crazy people paying over $100.00 for this game sealed on ebay! Oh, and the GP32 is a handheld system by Game Park. Actually a damn good little machine truthfully.
END OF LINE.

SignOfZeta

Re: Question about Shinobi PC Engine.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 03:11:26 PM »
Back in the day memory was expensive. Home versions often lacked special stuff to keep the size of the cart/HuCard small. It took forever for a home version of SFII to actually include the burning barrel bonus stage.

So what is the state of PCE emulation GP32 these days? I had heard it was pretty great. Can it run ISOs like the PSP?

T2KFreeker

Re: Question about Shinobi PC Engine.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:16:13 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
Back in the day memory was expensive. Home versions often lacked special stuff to keep the size of the cart/HuCard small. It took forever for a home version of SFII to actually include the burning barrel bonus stage.

So what is the state of PCE emulation GP32 these days? I had heard it was pretty great. Can it run ISOs like the PSP?

Not that I have seen as it stores stuff on the SMC cards, only 124 megs. The games themselves on Hu Card run outstanding though. I have only seen a couple ROMS that I own not run. Perhaps if I had a way to take directly from the HU Card itself? It makes no sense that Raiden will run but Cyber Core wont! :roll:
END OF LINE.

Jammaniaclord

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 05:57:19 AM »
The GP32 is one HECK of a little Korean handheld. Noted mostly for it's INCREDIBLE emulation capabilities, it does have some commercial titles for it as well. There is a new version out, but some devoted followers do not like it as much as the original, but it DOES have very impressive specs. Check it out at their main website, or head over to Lik-Sang to read documentation on  them.
PC Cocoron Hunter

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »
The SMS version has all of the levels and features 2 MEGA POWER.  I'm not sure if the HuCard version features 2 MEGA POWER or not, but it should at least have all of the levels the SMS version does.  My guess is that if these levels were in the HuCard version of the game, the PC Engine would break (crack in two) from the sheer power required to process said levels.  Only the Sega Master System was designed with enough power to handle this insane amount of awesomeness.  It says so in the Bible.

nodtveidt

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 02:19:59 PM »
Erm...

GUTS

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:26:56 PM »
The SMS version of Shinobi is a bajillion times better, the PCE version of Shinobi sucks shit.  Despite the graphical upgrade, they took the bonus stages out and changed some other stuff around and it doesn't play nearly as well.

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:27:31 PM »
The SMS version has all of the levels and features 2 MEGA POWER.  I'm not sure if the HuCard version features 2 MEGA POWER or not, but it should at least have all of the levels the SMS version does.  My guess is that if these levels were in the HuCard version of the game, the PC Engine would break (crack in two) from the sheer power required to process said levels.  Only the Sega Master System was designed with enough power to handle this insane amount of awesomeness.  It says so in the Bible.

I believe you :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 09:39:54 PM »
heh, the SMS version actually is a lot better.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

vestcoat

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 10:02:03 PM »

Right on.  I'd be surprised if they were even able to get NINJA MAGIC, ARCADE-LIKE ACTION or the RING OF FIVE in that Hucard.

Check this out...

R-Type + Sega Master System + 2 MEGA POWER = all levels successfully contained, awesome game.

R-Type + PCE + Hucard = Hucard shatters, game released in two separate installments.

Golden Axe + Sega Master System + 2 Mega Power = Crummy game

Golden Axe + PCE + CD-Rom2 card = Unbelievably terrible, unplayable game.

Y's + Sega Master System + Battery Back-up Memory = Up to five games can be saved and alternated.  Yay!  All of your friends can play.

Ys + PCE + Back-up RAM storage = 5 slots for one player, another boring RPG.
---------------

Ok, I'll stop it with the late-night sarcastic posts after this.
I have to say Joe, your post was the funniest thing I've read all day.

...god, can you imagine sitting around trying to play Ys with four other people?  Alternating???   *ughh*

Bloodsack

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 02:24:01 AM »
Hey T2KFreeker. I got a GP32 & GP2X.  The GP2X runs a little bit smoother then the gp32 emu.  The great thing about the GP2X is I can finally play some pce ISO's on GP2X.  Not with sound yet, but  I think the next update with enable sound.

To stay on topic though,I have to agree with what GUTS said.  the hu card version of Shinobi is very watered down. I never really like the first shinobi anyways.  Revenge of shinobi on (Genesis/Mega Drive) blows it away.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 03:55:52 AM »
Hey, where are you getting off on this R-Type Sega Master System + 2 mega Power nonsense?  R-Type for the SMS has 4 mega Power.  4 megas!  I have counted them myself!  1, 2, 3, 4 megas!

And you are right, I am surprised they were able to squeeze arcade-like action into PCE Shinobi.  That usually takes a mega of its own.  But it didn't have the Ring of Five.  Instead they had the Ring of Four.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 04:01:00 AM »
Only the Sega Master System was designed with enough power to handle this insane amount of awesomeness.  It says so in the Bible.
Shinobi alone would justify the purchase of a SMS. Of course, we don't even have to go there, because every 3-Dimensional Mega Cartridge is a force to be reckoned with as well. (Are you ready for contact with the inner dimension? Seriously, are you?)
  |    |