Author Topic: Question about Shinobi PC Engine.  (Read 737 times)

Joe Redifer

Question about Shinobi PC Engine.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 04:08:49 AM »
Sega even hid an extra dimension into one of their games.  Line of Fire has a secret 3D mode.  I thought I had all of the 3D games but noooooo....  Now I have to buy this.  One of these days I am going to have to add up all my megas to see how powerful I am.

esteban

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 04:42:56 AM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
Sega even hid an extra dimension into one of their games.  Line of Fire has a secret 3D mode.  I thought I had all of the 3D games but noooooo....  Now I have to buy this.  One of these days I am going to have to add up all my megas to see how powerful I am.
I didn't know that any games had a hidden 3D mode! That's too kool.
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 08:03:24 AM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
Hey, where are you getting off on this R-Type Sega Master System + 2 mega Power nonsense?  R-Type for the SMS has 4 mega Power.  4 megas!  I have counted them myself!  1, 2, 3, 4 megas!

And you are right, I am surprised they were able to squeeze arcade-like action into PCE Shinobi.  That usually takes a mega of its own.  But it didn't have the Ring of Five.  Instead they had the Ring of Four.

Wow, I didn’t know SMS R-Type was a 4 mega game.  Where does it say that?  I have the cart and box, but no manual.  I thought Phantasy Star was the first US game with 4 mega power.
I got SMS Sonic Blast (1997 baby!) and that has skull-shattering 8 MEGA POWER.  It gets so intense I have to bust out the Sega Control Stick sometimes just to keep my brain from oozing out of my orifices.

Anyway, I just got the US R-type hucard (thanks Rolins!) because I was so sick of the music on the complete CD.  After a few minutes of playing the Hucard I thought “geez, the graphics don’t look much better than the SMS version.”  I remembered them looking better on the Complete CD.
So I put the CD in again and realized, “nope, same graphics.”  The point of this story?  CD music and a few cinemas make games seem more polished (even though I’m not a fan of the R-type remixes).
Anyone else feel this way?  I suspect it would be the same with Raiden.  The music on Super Raiden is incredible.  Does the Hucard feel weak after playing the CD?

Also, has anyone played Shinobi on the NES?  How does that stack up?

malducci

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »
“geez, the graphics don’t look much better than the SMS version.”

:lol:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 03:01:05 PM »
It says right on the R-Type box that it has 4 mega power.  Also I demand that you send me Sonic Blast.

Shinobi on the NES didn't have the mega power to compete with the SMS version which had an amazing 2 megas.  Well, the ROM size for the NES version indicates 2 megas but they must not be ultra-powerful megas like Sega uses.  The NES Shinobi probably has megas imported from "Discount Megas" in China or something.

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »
Just to let you guys know, Sonic Blast is a big mess :D . Though I kinda like it at the same time...
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 09:41:29 PM »
How is it possible for Sonic Blast to be a mess when it has 8 mega power?  Look at Midnight Resistance!  8 Megas of pure amazingess!

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 09:50:24 PM »
Was there a console port of Midnight Resistance? I love the arcade game!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kaminari

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 10:32:21 PM »
Probably a matter of taste, but I always felt R-Type HuCard was superior to the Complete CD. For someone who grew up with the arcade game at the nearby bistro, the HuCard port is simply the coin-op at home. The CD edition from Irem has arguable techno covers and average cutscenes which break the flow of the original game.

Super Raiden on the other hand is better than the HuCard port not only because of its great soundtrack, but because the use of Redbook tracks freed the PSG for better sound effects (which is not the case in R-Type CD). And the gameplay is more balanced too. Bigger support doesn't necessarily mean better contents, but here it proves to be right.

nodtveidt

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 11:05:22 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"

Yes...there is a Genesis port of Midnight Resistance.

What's all this "mega" stuff? Guys, get with the program, this ain't the 80s anymore! :P :lol:

Bloodsack

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 04:01:55 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"

Yes...there is a Genesis port of Midnight Resistance.

What's all this "mega" stuff? Guys, get with the program, this ain't the 80s anymore! :P :lol:

I sure do miss the 80's.  Thats when games were games.  Everything today has to be about the wow factor.  wow....look at those graphics!  It's not as much about gameplay anymore like it use to be :cry:

GUTS

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 08:42:30 AM »
Its always been about the graphics man, there's no more emphasis on that today than there was back then.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2006, 11:27:19 AM »
It's ALWAYS been about the "wow factor", man.  If it weren't we wouldn't have the fancy-schmancy Xbox360 which can put even more sprites on screen than the Neo Geo!  It also has better scaling than the Sega CD and better sound than the SNES!  Wow.  Just wow.

I also agree about R-Type HuCard being much better than R-Type Complete CD.  The music is so much better on the chip version.  I really did like the arrangements in the R-Type Special CD, though (music only... not a game).  Are there any differences between the US and Japan R-Type HuCards besides being only on one card in the US?  I read somewhere that the US version has more flicker due to being on one card, but I find that notion preposterous and I don't see any difference.

Yes, on the Genesis and it has 8 Mega Power!  It says so right on the box and that means you MUST buy it!  The Genesis has far superior-sounding music compared to the arcade (Genesis version done by Hitoshi Sakimoto), but the voices are gone and if you are used to the dial then the control may take a few seconds to get used to.

esteban

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 03:24:54 PM »
Quote from: "Kaminari"
Super Raiden on the other hand is better than the HuCard port not only because of its great soundtrack, but because the use of Redbook tracks freed the PSG for better sound effects (which is not the case in R-Type CD). And the gameplay is more balanced too. Bigger support doesn't necessarily mean better contents, but here it proves to be right.
Super Raiden is better, but not to the point that the HuCard version should be discounted :).

To the person who asked about HuCard vs. SCD versions of Raiden: You will be incredibly pleased with the HuCard and you should get it if you don't have a lot of $$$.

That said, Super Raiden is absolutely worth the purchase price, since the soundtrack is golden and it adds two additional stages not found on the HuCard. Search for "rolins" and "Super Raiden" in these forums and you'll find a detailed post documening all of the differences between HuCard and SCD.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 04:58:48 PM »
Quote from: "Bloodsack"
I sure do miss the 80's.  Thats when games were games.  Everything today has to be about the wow factor.  wow....look at those graphics!  It's not as much about gameplay anymore like it use to be :cry:

80's were the best times in history, I would go back if I could. But as a couple other posters already said, the wow factor has been around since the dawn of console competition. I see where you are coming from though and I get a lot more fun out of games from the 80's than I do for today's gaming personally. Games today are more all about the "exploration" factor :P .