Author Topic: Turbo Duo problem.  (Read 632 times)

T2KFreeker

Turbo Duo problem.
« on: August 05, 2006, 03:48:01 PM »
Okay, just wanting to know what you guys think. I hane one coming my way and according to the owner, when you power it on with or with out a disc in, all it does is display a brownish/yellowish screen. What could be causing this do you think. I would say it is the Hu Card pins being dirty, but would that interfere with the  operation of the CD ROM drive? Just wanted to get opinions form you guys, if you know.
END OF LINE.

merriman_bk

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 07:17:59 PM »
I have no idea dude, I'm sure someone around here does though.  :wink:

----------------------------------------------
Sold to: 2X4, carbon tiger, chop5, grahf, gundarN, hizaygizirlz, Joe Redifer, Keranu, MrFulci, nat, runinruder, shubibiman, steve666, T2KFreeker, vestcoat
ebay id: merriman_bk --> 100% positive

T2KFreeker

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
Quote from: "merriman_bk"
I have no idea dude, I'm sure someone around here does though.  :wink:

Yeah, that's what I am hoping for . . .
END OF LINE.

SignOfZeta

Re: Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 08:21:07 PM »
Quote from: "T2KFreeker"
Okay, just wanting to know what you guys think. I hane one coming my way and according to the owner, when you power it on with or with out a disc in, all it does is display a brownish/yellowish screen. What could be causing this do you think. I would say it is the Hu Card pins being dirty, but would that interfere with the  operation of the CD ROM drive? Just wanted to get opinions form you guys, if you know.

I'd check the power supply first. Then, see if boots HuCards, and...go from there...

Let us know when you get it.

T2KFreeker

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »
Shuit, any other suggestions here? I only ask because I am going to want to dive right into this thing. The unit gets power, but it only displays that screen, so could it just be the cables? Need new AV cables? I haven't worked on a Turbo Duo since about 1994, and then I had the repairs manual, so it has been a very long time. I would like to get it running though.
END OF LINE.

takashirose

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »
Try a cleaning kit for the Hucard slot.  You might find one on eBay.  I saw one before, but I guess it was sold.
Let the old mix with the new.

SignOfZeta

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 04:16:44 PM »
Quote from: "T2KFreeker"
Shuit, any other suggestions here? I only ask because I am going to want to dive right into this thing. The unit gets power, but it only displays that screen, so could it just be the cables? Need new AV cables? I haven't worked on a Turbo Duo since about 1994, and then I had the repairs manual, so it has been a very long time. I would like to get it running though.

Well, the power supply thing is pretty important. A lot of original NEC power supplies are dead now, and often the substitutes people are using  lack. A Turbo Duo, I think, uses a 10v, 1000mA power supply. If the mA rating doesn't stack up, wierd things can happen. With Duos the video output will dim whenever the CD accesses, and I can imagine getting the exact problem you describe. I once plugged a 300ma PS into a Duo R, and it wouldn't even start up. It showed some sort of static screen, possiblly the very yellow/brown screen you are describing here, I can't remember.

I bought a great PS from Radio Shack. Its kind of pricey, IMO, but its 9V 1500mA...and that's actually pretty hard to find nowdays because modern devices consume so much less power. I don't know if they have a good 10v one like that there though.

SignOfZeta

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 04:17:49 PM »
Quote from: "takashirose"
Try a cleaning kit for the Hucard slot.  You might find one on eBay.  I saw one before, but I guess it was sold.

That's not going to matter. You can rip the HuCard slot right out of a Duo, and it should still boot up to the "Super CDROM System" screen.

takashirose

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 04:43:25 PM »
Maybe there is something wrong with the Duo-R internally.  Why do people buy busted Duo-Rs?  It's such a hassle.

SignOfZeta

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 05:01:07 PM »
Maybe there is something wrong with the Duo-R internally.  Why do people buy busted Duo-Rs?  It's such a hassle.

He didn't buy a Duo R, he bought a Turbo Duo.

I recently bought a busted Duo R. Now its not busted. I saved probably $50.

takashirose

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 05:05:25 PM »
If the guy selling it told that there was something wrong with the system powering up, I wouldn't get it because then I would have to waste time looking for the problem.  If it was $50, I understand, but if he sold it for more than that, then I wouldn't get it.  I would rather pay more for a Turbo Duo that works than less for one that doesn't unless for parts.  I also have a Turbo Duo by the way.  I like the logo better than the PC-Engine Duo and because with a converter I could play Japanese games.  I hope you find your problem.  Good luck!

T2KFreeker

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »
If the guy selling it told that there was something wrong with the system powering up, I wouldn't get it because then I would have to waste time looking for the problem.  If it was $50, I understand, but if he sold it for more than that, then I wouldn't get it.  I would rather pay more for a Turbo Duo that works than less for one that doesn't unless for parts.  I also have a Turbo Duo by the way.  I like the logo better than the PC-Engine Duo and because with a converter I could play Japanese games.  I hope you find your problem.  Good luck!

Actually, I didn't pay anything for this system, it was a freebie. :wink: I have a turbo Grafx 16 with the CD ROM and the system 3 card, I just alweays wanted a duo, that's all.
END OF LINE.

Odonadon

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 06:27:29 PM »
Does the CD itself spin when the unit is powered on?

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

SignOfZeta

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 12:12:18 AM »
If the guy selling it told that there was something wrong with the system powering up, I wouldn't get it because then I would have to waste time looking for the problem.

Well I guess if you have infinate cash, then that's totally cool. Like most people in this world though I've been on a budget my whole life, and always will be. In this situation I've found it to be very helpful to be the guy who actually know knows how shit works, and can sometimes fix things (games, or other things)

I got my Core Grafx for free, and it took literally 10 minutes to fix it. I got my Duo R for $60, and it was just as easy to get working.

takashirose

Turbo Duo problem.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 02:18:03 AM »
Well if it's a freebie, then there is nothing to lose.