Author Topic: My 1st PC Engine is on the way!  (Read 920 times)

TEKWRX

My 1st PC Engine is on the way!
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:36:26 PM »
I just found this board a few days ago and have been reading as much as I can!  When I was a kid I got a TG16 right after it came out, and I was always a fan.  I have all the ROMS, but emulation just isn't the same.  I decided to get a PC Engine because win the early '90's I used to see ads for import systems in the back of game mags and I thought they looked so cool.

I ordered a white briefcase system from japaneseimportgames.com (it was on sale!) along with a Super Famicom, Famicom AV, and some games.  Jpanese hardware is so much cooler then the US stuff.  The only consoles I have now are PS2, SNES jr, GB Micro, and DS Lite.

Anyway, what are some good CD games I should be on the lookout for the PCE?  Also, is there any way to get TG16 HuCards to play in the PCE?  Will a CD-R copy of Dracula X play OK on the briefcase?  Will it damage it?

Odonadon

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:31:26 PM »
Welcome to the board!  You had a lot of questions, which I will leave to more qualified people to answer.

In terms of what games are good, there are many review sites out there (Turbo2k being one of them) to help you decide what types of games you may want to check out.

Having said that, what types of games are you into and perhaps we can suggest a few that may be to your liking?

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

TR0N

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:39:35 AM »
Congrats on the purchase not a bad way to start either.

Btw keep in mind the cd games are region free a pce can play u.s and jpn cd games.

Have fun man  8)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

grahf

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 05:12:57 PM »
Your really gonna love the PCE. To get started, i would suggest checking out the PC Engine Software Bible: http://feeds.directsex.com/index2.aspx?room=6&cclean=0.1124725
Not every game has reviews, but it will give you a nice starting point.

esteban

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 05:38:53 PM »
Welcome :)

There are tons of great games to suggest, so, as previously stated, you should tell us what genres you really dig. Also, tell us if you are interested in HuCards and / or CD's.
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:32:14 PM »
welcome, congrats & Njoy :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 04:33:51 AM »
Great to see people still rockin' this system. You went the right route, as the Turbo/PCE is one of those systems where you don't know how great a system REALLY is until you import.

Go to this thread and see some PCE videos in action.
http://www.pcenginefx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1568

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 07:14:28 AM »
I wouldn't recommend playing cdr games on the original PCE CD-ROM. I've heard all kinds of stories about how they can damage the lens. Maybe is all b.s., but I wouldn't risk it.

As for games, I can give a you a good brief list to start, if you can tell me what genres you do like and which ones you definately do not(everyone loves pachinko, mahjong and date sims right?).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

takashirose

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »
Yeah, you have to experience the Turbo systems in order to appreciate them.  I got my Turbo Duo with the game bundle inside.  They are all good:

Ys Book I and II

Gate of Thunder(U.S. release, which includes Bonk 1 + 2, and Bomberman with a code at the title screen)

Splatterhouse

Those are the games that I started with and is a good place for you to start.  From there you will get addicted to the system and start to buy other games.
Let the old mix with the new.

TEKWRX

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 12:06:51 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I've been reading around and have a good handle on what games to pick up.

The CD-R thing has me worried though.  One of the big reasons for picking up the console was to play Dracula-X.  I kinda blew my load cash wise getting the system, and won't be able to shell out $100 for a legit copy of that game for a while.  Is there definative proof that CD-R's damage ALL units, or is it a crap shoot?  Also, are the laser pick-up's repairable and what would that cost?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »
When PC Engine brief case and Dracula X go in the same sentence, there is one intercepting question: Did you pick up a System Card 3.0 or Arcade Card Duo?

TEKWRX

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 01:42:37 PM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
When PC Engine brief case and Dracula X go in the same sentence, there is one intercepting question: Did you pick up a System Card 3.0 or Arcade Card Duo?

Yeah, the set came with system card 3.0

Odonadon

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
Quote from: "TEKWRX"

The CD-R thing has me worried though.  One of the big reasons for picking up the console was to play Dracula-X.  I kinda blew my load cash wise getting the system, and won't be able to shell out $100 for a legit copy of that game for a while.  Is there definative proof that CD-R's damage ALL units, or is it a crap shoot?  Also, are the laser pick-up's repairable and what would that cost?

Well, like any CD player/CD-ROM it depends on the quality and brand of media.  I have only ever had problems on my PC Engine with the Cursor CD-Rs (cheap).  All other brands I've tried (Memorex, Sony, etc.) work fine.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 06:35:53 AM »
You absolutely MUST get Ys Books I&II and Gate of Thunder.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

takashirose

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:13 AM »
Save up your money for a legit Dracula X then.  It won't just disappear.  Check eBay when you have enough.
Let the old mix with the new.