Author Topic: Looking For PCE Suggestions  (Read 725 times)

Gypsy

Looking For PCE Suggestions
« on: July 09, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »
Played and enjoyed so far
Cadash
Super Star Soldier
Side Arms

Played and thought was okay
Salamander
Final Soldier

In the mail
PC Genjin 1, 2, 3
Adventure Island (Dragon's Curse)

Waiting on CDROM2 (in the mail, excited about this) to play
Vasteel

Research leads me to believe I will enjoy
Valis 1-4
Soldier Blade
Gunhed
Rondo of Blood (finally I get to play the original)
Ys games (do these play particularly better on PCE or should I not bother?)
Momotarou Katsugeki

I'm willing to try just about anything but my preference is for shmups and action/platform games. Cost is not an issue as I will burn CDROM games and just play them that way. Thinking about getting an everdrive but it seems like most of the insanely priced Japanese games are mostly CDs.

imparanoic

Re: Looking For PCE Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
pc denjin ( note pc genjin 3 is a bit disappointing)
nexzr but it's not cheap ( also kinda of cousin to super star soldier, looks closer to sss than final soldier or soldier blade)
winds of thunder
magical chase ( expensive)
Jackie Chan
Star Parodia

esteban

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »

pc denjin ( note pc genjin 3 is a bit disappointing)
nexzr but it's not cheap ( also kinda of cousin to super star soldier, looks closer to sss than final soldier or soldier blade)
winds of thunder
magical chase ( expensive)
Jackie Chan
Star Parodia

|    | 

Digi.k

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »
since you like Cadash.

Valkyrie no Densetsu
Bonze Adventure (Jigoku Meguri)
Liquid Kids (Mizubaku daibouken)
Parasol stars
Rainbow Islands
Yokai Douchuuki

EDIT:

Since you don't mind burning roms to play I guess you can try anything

Gypsy

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
since you like Cadash.

Valkyrie no Densetsu
Bonze Adventure (Jigoku Meguri)
Liquid Kids (Mizubaku daibouken)
Parasol stars
Rainbow Islands
Yokai Douchuuki

EDIT:

Since you don't mind burning roms to play I guess you can try anything

True. It does take time and effort to play the games still. Thanks for your recommendations.

Thank you imparanoic as well.

LOL Esteban.

EmperorIng

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
If you are playing burned games, there's no reason not to try out Ys Iⅈ the games are high-quality and lots of fun (but not perfect).

However, there's also Ys I&II Complete+ or whatever it's called on PC/Steam/GOG, which is a beefed-up revamp of the games, which might be more your cup of tea. Or rather you will end up playing them if you discover that you love Ys, and want more Ys.

Careful with the Valis games, because they are all over the place in quality. I think my favorite, of Valis I-III, is Valis I. II is maybe worth one playthrough to enjoy the lousy English. Having played the PCE-CD version and the Sharp X86000 version, while both definitely have their problems (especially getting used to Sharp's weird controls and glitches) the Sharp game was far more enjoyable and memorable. Both soundtracks are ace though.

A lot of the more expensive shooters are not as good as some of the cheaper, imo. Down Load (or Download w/e) is a fun game that's for cheap. The Soldier games are a little too easy for me, and Compile was a company that was great at graphics and music and not so great at good level design (GunHed has too many moments of you not moving while your gigantic shot kills all the enemies on screen before they have a chance to do anything). Dragon Saber is an excellent shooter that is very playable and oozing with quality.

Legendary Axe is, to my limited experience, the best action game HuCard I've played.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »
Side Arms
Eat it Josh! This guy knows a good game when he plays it.

Final Soldier
What?! You need to play it more. All the Soldiers are good.

Burn Spriggian, Gate and Lords(Winds) of Thunder and play them. Try the Crushes, it's pinball but video pinball so it's cool. Ninja Spirit is my goto action platformer recommendation.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Otaking

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
The Soldier games are a little too easy for me, and Compile was a company that was great at graphics and music and not so great at good level design (GunHed has too many moments of you not moving while your gigantic shot kills all the enemies on screen before they have a chance to do anything).

Final Soldier and Star Parodier are a little easy, but Soldier Blade and particularly Super Star Soldier aren't easy games.
Also above quote reads like you're saying you think the Soldier games were developed by Compile??

Gypsy

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »
If you are playing burned games, there's no reason not to try out Ys Iⅈ the games are high-quality and lots of fun (but not perfect).

However, there's also Ys I&II Complete+ or whatever it's called on PC/Steam/GOG, which is a beefed-up revamp of the games, which might be more your cup of tea. Or rather you will end up playing them if you discover that you love Ys, and want more Ys.

Careful with the Valis games, because they are all over the place in quality. I think my favorite, of Valis I-III, is Valis I. II is maybe worth one playthrough to enjoy the lousy English. Having played the PCE-CD version and the Sharp X86000 version, while both definitely have their problems (especially getting used to Sharp's weird controls and glitches) the Sharp game was far more enjoyable and memorable. Both soundtracks are ace though.

A lot of the more expensive shooters are not as good as some of the cheaper, imo. Down Load (or Download w/e) is a fun game that's for cheap. The Soldier games are a little too easy for me, and Compile was a company that was great at graphics and music and not so great at good level design (GunHed has too many moments of you not moving while your gigantic shot kills all the enemies on screen before they have a chance to do anything). Dragon Saber is an excellent shooter that is very playable and oozing with quality.

Legendary Axe is, to my limited experience, the best action game HuCard I've played.

I do really enjoy the Ys games. I've played the first two on multiple systems.

I'll definitely give Download a shot.

As for Valis, I will be playing those games in Japanese so bad English is not an issue.

I forgot to mention I played Dragon Spirit. I felt it was okay. Does Dragon Saber compare favourably to it in your estimation?

Side Arms
Eat it Josh! This guy knows a good game when he plays it.

Final Soldier
What?! You need to play it more. All the Soldiers are good.

Burn Spriggian, Gate and Lords(Winds) of Thunder and play them. Try the Crushes, it's pinball but video pinball so it's cool. Ninja Spirit is my goto action platformer recommendation.

I feel like I don't even want to know. :P

I definitely plan to get the first Spriggan (heard really good things) but Mk2 I am not as sure of. I played Lords on SCD but I'll definitely try out Gates.

Pokun

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
If you are playing burned games, there's no reason not to try out Ys I&II
You don't even have to burn it. I got it real cheap, it's cheap even on ebay. The manual is pretty thin though (which is disappointing for a CIB collectors like me) but at least it has good artwork.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:01 AM »
If you are playing burned games, there's no reason not to try out Ys I&II
You don't even have to burn it. I got it real cheap, it's cheap even on ebay. The manual is pretty thin though (which is disappointing for a CIB collectors like me) but at least it has good artwork.

You should buy the PC-88/MSX/FM-7 version(s).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

turboswimbz

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
Games I've enjoyed personally so far
Ys series
Valis series
Download 1 and 2
Nexzr - (this one is a hard come by)
Sapphire - (booties exist of this one)
Bonk/pc ginjin series
final solider
Spriggan
beball
bomberman series
gotzendeiner
son son II
puyo puyo
super raiden
parasol stars
nuetopia series
dungeon explorer 1 and 2
conan boy of the future

But of course there is everyoneessssssssssss top 2
WONDER MOMO
and
ENERGY
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Gypsy

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
Games I've enjoyed personally so far
Ys series
Valis series
Download 1 and 2
Nexzr - (this one is a hard come by)
Sapphire - (booties exist of this one)
Bonk/pc ginjin series
final solider
Spriggan
beball
bomberman series
gotzendeiner
son son II
puyo puyo
super raiden
parasol stars
nuetopia series
dungeon explorer 1 and 2
conan boy of the future

Definitely have to check out the Download games now. Hearing they are good on multiple sites.

Gotzengeiner seems really interesting and not too pricey. Seems like a bit of a different game.

But of course there is everyoneessssssssssss top 2
WONDER MOMO
and
ENERGY

Oh you rascal you. :p

turboswimbz

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
Gotzindeiner is a cool game, maybe a bit . . . unfinished in ways but it has this really cool lonely vibe to it.  Princess kick-ass is a cool character too.  It is isometric but I found this not to be a problem.  It's defiantly a game you should try if your looking for a game experience you won't quite find anywhere else.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

EmperorIng

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
@Gypsy:
The bad dubbing is not the only problem the Valis games have. Having beaten them a little while ago they are still fresh in my mind. In terms of a balanced game Valis I on the Turbo-CD is probably the best and most playable. II is very bland (compared to its Sharp X68K counterpart) and III frustrated the hell out of me with its crazy difficulty swings and memorizer sections.

Final Soldier and Star Parodier are a little easy, but Soldier Blade and particularly Super Star Soldier aren't easy games.
Also above quote reads like you're saying you think the Soldier games were developed by Compile??

First time i every played Soldier Blade on normal I made it to the final boss before I lost my last life. Pretty easy all things considered.  :P

I know Compile didn't do the Soldier games, but they did make GunHed/Blazing Lasers, and like all Compile games it has Compile problems. Approach at your own risk.