Author Topic: Sound problems after recapping my Turbo Duo  (Read 625 times)

Valkyrie

Sound problems after recapping my Turbo Duo
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:26:51 PM »
I got a Turbo Duo with sound issues last week.  It sounded fine for about the first 5 minutes, then it started to fade and get crackly.  Not unexpected, since it was never re-capped.
I finished re-capping it today, but it's still having sound issues.  Now, the right channel has decent volume, but it's still crackly.  And I've got nothing at all from the left channel.  But if I plug in headphones, it sound just fine through them on both channels.

I did a pretty good job with the caps.  No lifted pads or anything.  Along the way, I found 3 broken vias, which led underneath IC503.  I removed the chip as carefully as I could and repaired the vias, but I can't be sure I didn't damage the chip with too much heat.

Any advice on where to go from here?  Does this sound like a problem that IC503 could cause?  Or is there something else I should be looking at first?
Thanks!

bozo55

Re: Sound problems after recapping my Turbo Duo
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
I got a Turbo Duo with sound issues last week.  It sounded fine for about the first 5 minutes, then it started to fade and get crackly.  Not unexpected, since it was never re-capped.
I finished re-capping it today, but it's still having sound issues.  Now, the right channel has decent volume, but it's still crackly.  And I've got nothing at all from the left channel.  But if I plug in headphones, it sound just fine through them on both channels.

I did a pretty good job with the caps.  No lifted pads or anything.  Along the way, I found 3 broken vias, which led underneath IC503.  I removed the chip as carefully as I could and repaired the vias, but I can't be sure I didn't damage the chip with too much heat.

Any advice on where to go from here?  Does this sound like a problem that IC503 could cause?  Or is there something else I should be looking at first?
Thanks!

I'm having similar problems as you.  Your best bet will be to remove the 3 op amps IC506, IC521 and IC5xx (the 8 pin op amp beside 521), and clean the areas around them throughly, jumper any corroded vias, and check for continuity between the op amp and areas close by.  I had a bad trace that looked fine.

kyosuke75

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »

Thanks!

I'm having similar problems as you.  Your best bet will be to remove the 3 op amps IC506, IC521 and IC5xx (the 8 pin op amp beside 521), and clean the areas around them throughly, jumper any corroded vias, and check for continuity between the op amp and areas close by.  I had a bad trace that looked fine.
I have the same issue with mine.  A friend of mine recapped it.  Cd audio doesn't work but you get turbo hucard sound and music.  Just no cd audio.  He tweaked the laser on it and everything but he isn't sure what the problem is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bozo55

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »

Thanks!

I have the same issue with mine.  A friend of mine recapped it.  Cd audio doesn't work but you get turbo hucard sound and music.  Just no cd audio.  He tweaked the laser on it and everything but he isn't sure what the problem is.

The only thing I can suggest is to thoroughly check for continuity in any of the areas where the caps leaked.

kyosuke75

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »

Thanks!

The only thing I can suggest is to thoroughly check for continuity in any of the areas where the caps leaked.
Cool thanks.  My friend is looking tonight for any bad traces, etc

Brraap

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
Remove all caps + the super cap and wash the entire board. old cap juice under the opt amps can cause this
It's an unwritten law in Japan that every shooter series has to have it's own ''parody''

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
no need to remove the caps first

wilykat

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:19:18 PM »
^^ this.  New non-fake caps are properly sealed and shouldn't suffer from water damage.

wilykat

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
double post

mario_pic

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »
Sorry about hijacking the thread I got same problem with my duo as well swapped out every cap I get crackling in sound   I cleaned under ic506   should I lift and clean ic507  ic521 and ic503 I also get same sound crackling from the headphone jack  is there a diagram of the audio circuit 

bozo55

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
Sorry about hijacking the thread I got same problem with my duo as well swapped out every cap I get crackling in sound   I cleaned under ic506   should I lift and clean ic507  ic521 and ic503 I also get same sound crackling from the headphone jack  is there a diagram of the audio circuit

If you solve this problem let me know what you did to fix it.  I'm getting the static out of the right channel only and haven't made the time to clean under every op amp yet.

BlueBMW

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 08:10:16 PM »
Check out this thread here...

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17498.msg365761#msg365761

At some point you'll have to just go through the sound circuit piece by piece until you find the spot where something isn't working.  I know I've had grounds go bad due to corroded vias and as a result the op amp or whatever that used the ground wouldn't function and sound would go in but not come out of the chip.  Build a little probe like described there and starting working your way through the sound circuit.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Keith Courage

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Sometimes if you hear crackling you can get lucky by just leaving the system turned on for a long time. Meaning, maybe after 12 hours or so the short will sometimes go bad all the way making it much more easy to find the shorted out/bad part in the circuit. Every system that I recap I leave turned on over night to make sure no bad traces/shorted sections show up. That old cap goop can really get into things sometimes.

mario_pic

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
Sometimes if you hear crackling you can get lucky by just leaving the system turned on for a long time. Meaning, maybe after 12 hours or so the short will sometimes go bad all the way making it much more easy to find the shorted out/bad part in the circuit. Every system that I recap I leave turned on over night to make sure no bad traces/shorted sections show up. That old cap goop can really get into things sometimes.
let my unit run for 12 hr playing audio loop still the same nothing changed any info on what points on the ic I could tap for sound

thesteve

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
its likely an open via by the heatsinks and the 10UF caps