Author Topic: Legendary Axe II rare?  (Read 677 times)

runinruder

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 06:37:49 AM »
Axe 2 isn't too tough, but the last boss is a handful, much tougher than the big goon from the first game.

Beating him is worth it though.  I love that dark, bizarre ending.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

NeoFreak

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 07:08:01 AM »
Hey Neo Rasa,

whats up man?, this is Ukyo from the neo-geo.com old school crew. i havent been around many boards myself lately, but i'm glad to see some familiar faces.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

T2KFreeker

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 07:40:34 AM »
The bummer here is that the series never got another game. It would have been cool to see another Legendary Axe game, even if it was on another system.
END OF LINE.

nodtveidt

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 07:41:49 AM »
Quote from: "runinruder"
Axe 2 isn't too tough, but the last boss is a handful, much tougher than the big goon from the first game.

Beating him is worth it though.  I love that dark, bizarre ending.

I've actually beaten the final boss with the chain weapon on a real machine...far from easy and took about 10 tries but I did it. :D For the easiest win, pick up the Axe when your weapon strength is at least 4 so you have a fully-charged Axe going into the final battles.

runinruder

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 08:28:09 AM »
Yep, I always use the axe for beating the last guy.  Using the chain sounds too tough for me.   :D

And yeah, it sucks that we never got another Legendary Axe, but I've always thought that if Axe were expanded into an adventure game for a sequel, it would turn out a lot like Shape Shifter.  SS is a lot more reminiscent of the first Axe than LA2 is.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 09:27:12 AM »
Quote from: "runinruder"
... I've always thought that if Axe were expanded into an adventure game for a sequel, it would turn out a lot like Shape Shifter.  SS is a lot more reminiscent of the first Axe than LA2 is.
That's a great way to think about it :).
  |    | 

Keranu

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 09:35:02 AM »
I thought LA2 was fairly easy until the last level. I think I made it to the last level two times and got DESTROYED at a certain part. I keep thinking it was a boss, but I can't quite remember the last level well.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Jared4781

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 01:38:47 PM »
what is this dark ending your speak of? you tube video anyone?
always looking to buy mint turbo games. hit me up if you've got some!

nodtveidt

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »
The final level of LA2 is definately a bruiser but it's just another memory game when you get down to it. Knowing how to kill all the metal creatures is the key to beating it. I don't know their names but there are three annoying ones in this level...slow-moving bomb-tossing ones, fast-moving missle-firing ones, and these really huge guys with what look like laser cannons for hands (I think they're called Patanays or something like that). The key to beating the first kind is to wait until he shoots a bomb in the opposite direction of you, then rush in and attack. Dead in 1 hit with a fully-powered axe. Be careful of this guy though, he has rockets on him that will propel him upwards if you're below him. The second guy isn't always so easy...he moves fast and his missles home in on you and really fly. If you time it right, you can take the missle out of the air while standing with a normal attack (using the sword or axe...you're a sitting duck if you use the chain but you have better reach to hit the guy). Be very careful approaching it, as it will usually move away from you but sometimes it charges you instead, throwing off your strategy. Anticipate its next move and attack when you can, just don't get hit by its missles. Of course, with both, do NOT stand anywhere near them when they're about to explode (they'll start flashing and stop animating), as the explosion will hurt you. The big guy (Patanay, sp) is relatively easy as long as you don't get sucked into one of those wave things that holds you down...you can attack him normally but you have to get rather close-in. You can duck under some of his shots but not others. He takes a beating before he goes down though. If you use the chain weapon, you cannot hit him with a straight attack...use an upward attack to hit him.

Also in the last level are at least two enemies that drop the star powerups (that increases your lifeforce limit), at least two axes, at least 4 swords, and way down on the bottom of the level are six or seven zombie-creatures that drop bomb powerups. Also, there's a couple of those guard-skeleton things (the ones that reflect your attacks), one drops a chain and the other I believe drops a full life powerup. The boss of the previous level makes three appearances in this level...if you find two at once, you're taking the dangerous shortcut to the end of the level (afair, they drop nothing)...the final one is near the gate to the final battles...make sure you beat him, as he drops a full life powerup WHICH YOU WILL NEED GOING INTO THE FINAL BATTLES!

What I find hilarious about this game is the difference between the US and Japanese versions...there's no difference except a minor change in the ending, and of course, the title screen.

Keranu

Legendary Axe II rare?
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 06:22:19 PM »
Excellent tips as usual, nod. I will take them into consideration next time I play. I believe those three types of monsters you described are what killed me in the last level, I especially recall some enemy throwing bombs.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).