Author Topic: Ripped graphics from games  (Read 1421 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Ripped graphics from games
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 08:47:34 AM »
New to me!  I've never messed with the visual collection.  Kinda ruins the mystique a little, no?

Definitely.  It's only good for quick viewing of the cinemas after you've beaten the game or if you'll never play it (in which case you suck).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

johnnykonami

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
New to me!  I've never messed with the visual collection.  Kinda ruins the mystique a little, no?

Definitely.  It's only good for quick viewing of the cinemas after you've beaten the game or if you'll never play it (in which case you suck).

I have indeed played through it, one of the games I still have from my original library.  For some reason, I even kept the outer box to CF2 even though I'm not an outer box kinda guy.  I always wanted to check out CF3 and CF4, but to be honest, I always thought the RPG combat in CF2 was a little on the simplistic side.  Between the language barrier and maybe not looking forward to more repetitive battles, I never got around to it.  Don't get me wrong, I loved CF2 - The cinemas, characters, music, that Working Designs dubbing... but the battle system I remember just being a slogfest to get through.  I already have limited patience for old school RPGs, though (even though I like quite a few of the more special ones.)

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:24:35 AM »

I have indeed played through it, one of the games I still have from my original library.  For some reason, I even kept the outer box to CF2 even though I'm not an outer box kinda guy.  I always wanted to check out CF3 and CF4, but to be honest, I always thought the RPG combat in CF2 was a little on the simplistic side.  Between the language barrier and maybe not looking forward to more repetitive battles, I never got around to it.  Don't get me wrong, I loved CF2 - The cinemas, characters, music, that Working Designs dubbing... but the battle system I remember just being a slogfest to get through.  I already have limited patience for old school RPGs, though (even though I like quite a few of the more special ones.)

CF3 and CF4s are not the same style RPGs as CF2. But they are still in Japanese.

The Valis and Cosmic Fantasy visual sets include new and altered scenes.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

johnnykonami

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »

CF3 and CF4s are not the same style RPGs as CF2. But they are still in Japanese.

That's good to know.  They're still on the list to try.  I have a little Japanese under my belt so that's never really stopped me before.  I'd say from screenshots they still kinda look like they are in that Dragon Quest style format, what would you say is different style wise?  Just out of curiosity, I mean.

ccovell

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 11:56:53 AM »
I saw the image but I really didn't thought much about it. I was thinking that it was only of use for BRAM dumping, didn't knew you could load the monitor on memory and switch to a retail disc (that's what I assume how it works?).
Will try as soon as I figure out how am I going to do the cable.

Yes, the copy of PCEmon on CD probably won't work for dumping/freezing other CD games, since you'd need the syscard to be hacked.  You _could_ try loading PCEmon from CD, loading ROM PCEmon into CD-RAM $80-$86, maybe put a hacked syscard bank 0 into CD-RAM bank $87, map that into MPR7, and try jumping to it... hopefully non-Super-CD games won't touch what's mapped through MPR7.  That's one way to alter the Syscard without an Everdrive... run it from SCD-RAM.

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »

That's good to know.  They're still on the list to try.  I have a little Japanese under my belt so that's never really stopped me before.  I'd say from screenshots they still kinda look like they are in that Dragon Quest style format, what would you say is different style wise?  Just out of curiosity, I mean.

Even though CF3 is the most similar to CF2, it doesn't really have an overworld. It's pretty much just one open world city/dungeon. The battles are much more enjoyable and the enemies and portraits are very nicely done, but the enemies are cartoony/comical. Still lots of battles, but they move smoothly and are typically short.

The CF4 games are almost like a different series from a game standpoint. They're made to feel modern for the time and have top quality visuals all-round. Chapter 1 stars the cast of CF1 and Chapter 2 the cast of CF2. Chapter 1 is full of Mode 7 effects, Chapter 2 features more art than pixelization. Both CF4 games feature digicomic-style segments, more typical JRPG soundtracks and battle background art.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 01:58:37 AM »
Very cool thank you.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

esteban

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »
If anyone wants to grab the ending scene from Valis II (it is a simple, but nearly full-screen scroll)....

...and any other graphics you find along the way...

:)
  |    | 

johnnykonami

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »

Even though CF3 is the most similar to CF2, it doesn't really have an overworld. It's pretty much just one open world city/dungeon. The battles are much more enjoyable and the enemies and portraits are very nicely done, but the enemies are cartoony/comical. Still lots of battles, but they move smoothly and are typically short.

The CF4 games are almost like a different series from a game standpoint. They're made to feel modern for the time and have top quality visuals all-round. Chapter 1 stars the cast of CF1 and Chapter 2 the cast of CF2. Chapter 1 is full of Mode 7 effects, Chapter 2 features more art than pixelization. Both CF4 games feature digicomic-style segments, more typical JRPG soundtracks and battle background art.

Thanks for the little writeup!  Definitely wanna check out CF4 even more now.

ccovell

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 04:34:46 AM »
1st post updated with jungfrau Valis

esteban

Ripped graphics from games
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 05:14:03 AM »
I absolutely love these two images:

That landscape, with the sword, and the music playing at the end of Valis II....very classy.

ALSO: to think that, until now, I have only seen these images scrolling, and never as complete static compositions, is crazy.

:)

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:15:35 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Bonknuts

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
I love Valis 2!

shonenx

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 05:12:11 AM »
Dude these are so awesome ! that sweeping shot from Ys is what made me buy a TG16CD attachment  when I was a Kid. any more rips from the Valis series would be welcomed
Your Already Dead !!!

spenoza

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
As always, we must keep in mind that these looked very different on a TV, what with the non-square aspect ratio and the color bleed. Might have made some of them even more attractive. It doesn't look like many of those big stills make good use of palettes as they're low on distinct colors, something a TV might help to mask.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

NightWolve

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »
Beautiful! :)