Author Topic: Super CD-ROM² no 5 volts on AV out.  (Read 215 times)

Ergot_Cholera

Super CD-ROM² no 5 volts on AV out.
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:36:04 AM »
I have recently acquired a Super CD-ROM² unit. I replaced all the caps, reassembled and tested and all was working well. I then decided to do an RGB mod via scart, I performed the modification and tested the unit but there was no RGB switching or fast blanking. I switched the AV channel manually and got an image somewhere between RGB and composite.
I knew that there must be a problem with the voltage to the AV socket, I tested it and it was 0. I followed the trace back and found 2 separate pads with J1 (Jumper?) printed underneath, I connected the pads and lo and behold 5volts was now supplied to the AV socket.
This is probably already well known, but as it was my first time modding a Super CD-ROM² unit I was  surprised, but mostly puzzled as to why it wasn't connected/why there was a break.

Ergot_Cholera

Re: Super CD-ROM² no 5 volts on AV out.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 06:12:53 AM »
What is the difference between non-polar and bi-polar capacitors?

NightWolve

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »
What is the difference between non-polar and bi-polar capacitors?

The terms can be used interchangeably to mean the same thing, or to note a difference in design.

A capacitor of ceramic construction is something that is truly non-polar by design. You can still call it bi-polar, but non-polar would be more appropriate. It it inherently non-polar, no tricks or whatever.

An aluminum electrolytic capacitor marked NP or BP uses the circuit trick of connecting 2 of them in series to achieve lack of polarization. That's why such a cap might be twice as big as the regular polarized version - they did the trick for you, connected 2 of them internally in series.

Bi-polar might be used more when it comes to this hack to achieve lack of polarization with electrolytic aluminum capacitors by connecting 2 of them in series either by internal design or you doing it like in a speaker let's say.

Other than that, yeah, you'll see the terms used interchangeably...

pdiggitydogg

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »
I was wondering about this the other day.
I'm planning on adding a mini din 9 jack (genesis 2) on my scdr2 and wasn't sure if the 5v was required or not. My setup is all manual switches anyway, so I thought I could leave it out.