Author Topic: Shockman Thread (Shocking Secrets Revealed!?!)  (Read 1258 times)

lukester

Shockman Thread (Shocking Secrets Revealed!?!)
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:36:23 AM »
Shockman is definitely not a popular game on the Turbografx, and is seen by most as a poor Megaman clone.

EDIT: Shockman created the Mega Buster, before Mega Man 4. Shockman came out in Japan 8 months earlier than MM 4. This is crazy news.

Having already played Megaman 1-4 and X, I think Shockman compares pretty favorably. Better than 1 at least.

It is not an easy game by any means, so here are a bunch of tips to get people started.

1. Always use Turbo in the shooter levels

This is a must. Charge shots will get you through the platforming levels, but not in the shooter levels. Tough bosses will go down much quicker with Turbo fire. It is also a must for the 3rd shooter level.

Keep in mind though that for the squids on the first shooter level, you should use charge shots.

2. Do not be reckless

Unlike Megaman, Shockman is scripted to give health and smart bombs only from specific enemies. You need to take absolute caution when going through any section. Memorization is a must.

There are many parts of the game you can get through without getting hurt, once you practice enough.

3. When should I use the smart bomb?

There are only two bosses that you should use it on. Use a bomb on the giant Ninja boss, because that stage is extremely long and re-starting isn't desirable. Remember, this game only gives you one life per continue and no checkpoints.

The second boss you should absolutely use it on is the re-match with your evil twin in the final level. He uses some very powerful attacks, so finish him off quickly.

When you do reach him, charge the bomb as soon as the fight starts, and release once it is ready. This is the only surefire way to get the boss dead without the attack missing or going through him.

4. If bombs are finite, how do I get more?

Only 4 enemies in the whole game give smart bombs. But if you die and re-start the stage, you get to keep whatever bombs you had, and can get another one from the same enemy. The max amount of bombs is 2.

5. The dragon on the auto-scrolling level is a pain, and he kills me so quickly. What do I do?

This level is weird because when you stand still, your character moves backwards. However, once the boss fight starts you can stand still anywhere.

Right before the fight starts, stand in the left corner of the screen. The dragon cannot touch you. At some point he will go left under the screen. you must jump to the middle, and then go back to the corner once he goes up.

6. Damn this stupid bubble man!

Like I said before, use the Turbo fire. He will go down in half the time it takes using charged shots. If he moves behind you where you cannot fire, you can move under him so he cannot hurt you.

7. Any other boss strategies?

Sure. Generally use charge shots during platforming levels. However, there are certain bosses where Turbo makes life easier.

First encounter with Jeeta, the evil twin. Always duck during this fight. You can corner him pretty easily.

The five floating heads. Destroy the middle 3 heads first. Pretty easy stuff. Turbo just makes it end quicker.

When you fight the four legged beast with the extendable head, crouch under his body. Charge shots are better for this boss.

8. I am getting slaughtered on the 3rd shooter level.

There is actually a safe spot in this level. As soon as you start, fly down into the bottom right corner. You are untouchable by the asteroids, and a few enemy waves. Fly back out to the middle once the big ships appear.

Watch the patterns of the big green enemies in the next section. If one disappears off-screen, be careful for potential bullets coming towards your direction.

Once you get to the high-speed section, you have to deal with 3 individual ships. For each one, fly up to the top of the screen. Once the ship is at your height, quickly fly back down. The ship will crash.

9. What do I do about the vertical sections with the flame-spitting demon heads??

Don't hold the jump button all the way. But if you don't get there with enough health, survival may not be possible.

Since you have to do this section twice, the first time should help you with the second time. Also you can shoot up at the enemies, but remember which ones give health items.

10. **** this final level.

I completely agree. The bouncing lazers are crazy. All I can say is to watch their patterns, and do not move until they leave the screen. This may take 3-4 bounces. Be cautious.

Generally, you want to stay in a bottom corner to hide from the lazers. Use turbo on the lazer generators. Make sure to memorize which enemies give health back.

11. I hate the elephants.

Use charge attacks. Shoot up to hit them. Don't go near them until their turret trunk is facing away from you.

12. Final Boss?

Well when you reach Jeeta, definitely use a bomb on him.

On the evil emperor guy, a bomb helps but isn't necessary. Just reach him with at least half health and you should be okay.

When you have to go under his legs, keep running against the leg until you can pass through, don't stand still and wait.

Use turbo fire when you have to aim up at the bottom circle thingy. Use charge shots for the turrets and the top circle thingy.

I hope these tips really help out some peeps. Shockman is better than people give it credit for, and there's certainly not many Megaman clones anyway. A solid B game.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:54:04 PM by lukester »

NightWolve

Re: Shockman Thread (Shocking Secrets Revealed!?!)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
All this dedication/interest/commentary for Shockman, enough to write all this ? I'm shocked, actually... Your first sentence was sufficient for me. ;)

esteban

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »
I love this post!

Everybody needs to give Shockman a chance, including me!

I dismissed this game years ago, but after reading this, I know I have to give Shockman  another chance, and try some different strategies.

|    | 

shawnji

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
I've finished all three Shubi (Shockman) games, and while I'm honestly much more fond of the first and third ones, the second game is still pretty decent.  Hard, but decent.  They sadly don't come anywhere close to the Mega Man games, though.  My co-op speed run (which was sadly done on an emulator instead of hardware) of the first game is still on YouTube thanks to the friend who played it with me:

Gentlegamer

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

NightWolve

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »
Heh. Good pick! Not one of the Sean Connery Bonds I ever saw, either.

seieienbu

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 11:44:58 AM »
I finally picked up a copy of Shockman earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed the game.  I still want to play it through with 2 players but haven't had the opportunity to yet.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gentlegamer

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
Go watch Goldfinger right now!

sirhcman

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
Excellent write up Lukester, I need to give this game another shot!

lukester

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
I actually just discovered a real shocking secret.

Shubibinman 2 came out in Japan in April 1991. Mega Man 4 came out in Japan, December 1991.

So Shockman actually created the Mega Buster before MM 4 did...

shawnji

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 02:30:29 PM »
I finally picked up a copy of Shockman earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed the game.  I still want to play it through with 2 players but haven't had the opportunity to yet.

It's kind of neat in co-op, as you can use your charge shot to launch your partner just like in the first game, but now you travel on diagonals and bounce all over the place.

I actually just discovered a real shocking secret.

Shubibinman 2 came out in Japan in April 1991. Mega Man 4 came out in Japan, December 1991.

So Shockman actually created the Mega Buster before MM 4 did...

The first game had a charge shot too, actually; and that was even earlier, as it was released in March of 1989.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
This game should be more popular for sure!  I love the grafx and music.  If you can get used to the sloppy controls, it's a very rewarding experience with excellent boss battles and a great ending!

It's actually my favorite of the series!  :)

Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
This is one I've heard about for years and years, but have never had the chance to check it out.  One of these days I really need to get around to doing so.  Thanks for the massive write-up, you have officially piqued my interest. 

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 03:37:08 PM »
This is one of my favorite PCE games :) The controls are regrettably glitchy, but everything else is fantastic.  I just wish the turbob version was more affordable
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

johnnykonami

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Huh, I always thought that the overall public impression of Shockman was a good one.  Count me a fan - I borrowed my friend's copy back in the 90's and played through it and had a great time.  I would happily welcome a reasonably priced copy of my own should it ever present itself.