Author Topic: Ever wish that a game's soundtrack/BGM was louder?  (Read 1252 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Ever wish that a game's soundtrack/BGM was louder?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 04:27:57 AM »
Uploaded to where?

We won't discuss where to find them. Google is your friend. e.g. "nexzr sylphia amplified music"

U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MotherGunner

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 06:10:40 AM »
I used the google search and clicked on the first hit and BOOM, virus.  BEWARE.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

vacantplanets

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »

Virus? You mean nasty looking pop ups? I've heard the site has those, but I'm using AdBlock and I've never seen one. I also use spybot and its browser immunization, if that makes a difference here. Are you using adblock?

I've been using the site a lot and my PC doesn't have a virus.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:40:00 AM by vacantplanets »
I'd rather be playing guitar or listening to a PC Engine CD soundtrack.

Currently playing PC Engine, Saturn, and SNES MSU1.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 08:15:23 AM »

Ha!  I turned off adblock for a bit and that site is indeed a trainwreck.  I don't know why anyone would choose to frequent and use such a scummy, phishing bullshit site, but it kinda settles the question of why Aaron wouldn't want this site linked to or associated with such a dump.

lukester

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 09:53:38 AM »

Virus? You mean nasty looking pop ups? I've heard the site has those, but I'm using AdBlock and I've never seen one. I also use spybot and its browser immunization, if that makes a difference here. Are you using adblock?

Vacant, Necro is pretty eager to ban you my friend.

You seem like a cool guy, so I would upload those on a less shitty site. Easily the worst place to pick.

NightWolve

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
I also use spybot and its browser immunization, if that makes a difference here. Are you using adblock?

Yeah, it's time I added an extension like AdBlock. That Google Chrome by itself can get trapped in an infinite message box loop while an obnoxious "You have a virus, call this number!" message is playing in the background is disturbing enough!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:41 AM »

I'm really not; he took the links down, so there's no problem here.  Unless they've f*cked up repeatedly for other stuff, everyone just gets warnings for posting iso links.

The site he's using is a turd, but it's only a problem if you're surfing teh webs unprotected; and if you can't strap a Trojan on your computer, you probably shouldn't be downloading isos.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
In regards to Mega Man's 1-3 on the Anniversary Colletion, IIRC, they aren't complete soundtracks.  I think only 4-6 have complete alternate soundtracks.  In any case, if Bonknuts someday does cd versions of MM's 2 & 3, I'll make my own versions of the tunes as I have been doing for MM 1.  That way, at the very least, it'll be a nice united sounding soundtrack.  However, if Armageddon comes before then, well, I make no guarantee's that I'll do MM 2 & 3. :)  I plan on doing the Jackal soundtrack next, but we'll see once I'm done with MM1.

vacantplanets

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
In regards to Mega Man's 1-3 on the Anniversary Colletion, IIRC, they aren't complete soundtracks.  I think only 4-6 have complete alternate soundtracks.  In any case, if Bonknuts someday does cd versions of MM's 2 & 3, I'll make my own versions of the tunes as I have been doing for MM 1.  That way, at the very least, it'll be a nice united sounding soundtrack.  However, if Armageddon comes before then, well, I make no guarantee's that I'll do MM 2 & 3. :)  I plan on doing the Jackal soundtrack next, but we'll see once I'm done with MM1.

Oh damn you're right. I read it wrong before--I thought only 1-3 had new soundtracks. Oh well, I love the soundtrack to 5 so I'm going to check it out now. It's on Youtube under Complete Works.

I'd like to check out your music. Do you have anything uploaded?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »
Nope, nothing uploaded yet.  I want to hold off on revealing the soundtrack until it's done.  I want people to hear the whole thing, rather than pieces at a time.  Of coarse I know it won't be perfect, I hope most people enjoy it.  I'm putting a lot of work into it, including extra songs, with my favorite being my tune for MM1's Wily.  That particular tune is a mix of the regular Wily boss theme, Wily Machine from MM9, Wily Machine from Mega Man & Bass, & a song called Incident Occurrence from Battle Network 2.  I made that one last summer, & still remains my favorite track for my MM1 ost.

vacantplanets

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »

You seem like a cool guy, so I would upload those on a less shitty site. Easily the worst place to pick.

I appreciate you looking out for me.

As I understand it, we can't link to any site that has anything to do with ROMs, emulators, ISOs, etc. so it wouldn't make a difference where I picked. I'm curious which site you would recommend though. EP?

SamIAm

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »
I played Hyper Duel on the Saturn with a friend a couple days ago, and damn are the sound effects too loud.

The problem with applying the process to this one is that you run into clipping really fast, but after some consideration, I think it would be worth it anyway. This is one of those cases where it really needs to be amped by at least 10 in Audacity. You simply cannot hear the melodies at all otherwise.

I think bumping up Layer Section by about 5-10 would be good as well. It's not as bad, but the sound effects definitely dominate the music.

vacantplanets

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
I played Hyper Duel on the Saturn with a friend a couple days ago, and damn are the sound effects too loud.

The problem with applying the process to this one is that you run into clipping really fast, but after some consideration, I think it would be worth it anyway. This is one of those cases where it really needs to be amped by at least 10 in Audacity. You simply cannot hear the melodies at all otherwise.

I think bumping up Layer Section by about 5-10 would be good as well. It's not as bad, but the sound effects definitely dominate the music.

Good call. I love Hyper Duel and its OST. Layer Section is a little slow after playing a ton of shooters recently, but I like it and its OST regardless. Now you're making me want to do Thunder Force V and Wolf Fang Kuuga 2001 too. Do you know Wolf Fang? I discovered it recently thanks to VenomMacbeth.

I hope you won't be too disappointed by this--but 10 sounds like a lot! I don't know if I've done 10 to any game so far. I want to, but I'm scared of it clipping and sounding like distorted shit.

Not sure if you've been downloading my stuff but let me know what you think of Nexzr and Spriggan if you do. I've boosted the bass in those ones and I'm not sure if it was too much.

I also just uploaded Mega Man X3 (Saturn) with the original SNES OST and Wipeout 2097 with the original Wipeout 1 soundtrack if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:26:14 PM by vacantplanets »

SamIAm

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 05:28:39 PM »
It really just depends on the game. Cotton and Terraforming could go up to 10 with almost no clipping except on a few loud drum hits, and that's not something I mind compromising at all.

Sigh...I just downloaded Hyper Dual and had a quick look. It is ALREADY clipping like crazy. That's how they mastered it. Bumping it up by more than five, which it really needs IMHO, makes it clip almost constantly. What a shame.

vacantplanets

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »
It really just depends on the game. Cotton and Terraforming could go up to 10 with almost no clipping except on a few loud drum hits, and that's not something I mind compromising at all.

Sigh...I just downloaded Hyper Dual and had a quick look. It is ALREADY clipping like crazy. That's how they mastered it. Bumping it up by more than five, which it really needs IMHO, makes it clip almost constantly. What a shame.

I gotcha. I believe I boosted Sylphia a lot too.

I'm going to start really listening to the tracks after they're boosted and clipping to see if I can even hear it. I just assumed that it would be obvious but maybe not. I wanna see how far it can be pushed.

There's also compression and EQ to play with. Maybe putting a little compression and then boosting certain frequencies will get it to cut through the sound effects. I'm thinking boost 63hz a little for bass. Then boost the upper mids and treble starting a little at 2k and then more and more as you work your way up. More at 4k, even more at 6, 8, etc. If you don't feel up to playing with different frequencies in the EQ, try just using the bass and treble adjustments.

EDIT: My version of Hyper Duel is uploaded. I used the compressor, then amplified by 7, then boosted the treble in the EQ something like this pic below.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:27:26 PM by vacantplanets »