Author Topic: Duo-R Hop-M3 question  (Read 240 times)

MNKyDeth

Duo-R Hop-M3 question
« on: October 30, 2015, 03:07:20 AM »
So I just received a Duo-R. I bought it knowing that it had cd reading issues.

First thing I did was test the HuCard with Battle Lode Runner and the system worked as expected. I then tried a SuperCD and the lens did not move but the disc did spin.

I grabbed a new HOP-M3 and changed it out. Low and behold I now have a fully working Duo-R without making a single pot adjustment.

My question is, if the old pickup lens is bad could I fix that somehow or is doing that usually not worth while? Why do they go bad? As I cannot see any real issues or differences when comparing to the new one.

Also, this Duo-R has not been recapped yet and I am planning on doing that here shortly because in with the new, out with the old. I know I may need to adjust the pots at this point but I am ok with that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:10:43 AM by MNKyDeth »

choijimmy

Re: Duo-R Hop-M3 question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:03:55 AM »
For HOP-M3, I don't think it worth to fix it since you can still find a lot of new/used hop-m3 on the market.

If you really want to try to fix it, you can try to adjust the pot Or use ultrasound cleaner to clean the lens ( of course, make sure it is dried before putting back to the machine ).

If none of the above work, I don't think there is any other solution. Folks in this forum may have other ideas.

Laser lens has lifespan, so it can be worn out after years of usage.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:37:40 AM by choijimmy »

MNKyDeth

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:30:48 AM »
Ahh, the lens may be worn then.

The grease was incredibly dirty so I assume it had a lot of use.

Honestly I didn't realize the Duo-R's are all thru-hole caps. The layout also seems very clean compared to a normal Duo. I do wish they used SMD/SMT caps under the laser area instead of mini caps so I could have used ceramic in that area.

I found a seller in the US that sells the lens for under $20 so I just bought a couple more as I don't want the one in my US Duo going bad and not have one on hand. I have a region mod Obey chip and RGB chip from Turbokon sitting here with the 8port din I just need the caps. They havn't arrived yet.

I may put my US Duo into storage and use this Duo-R full time from now on. I was thinking of selling it after fixing it up. But now I am not sure....

choijimmy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:33:28 AM »
Ahh, the lens may be worn then.

The grease was incredibly dirty so I assume it had a lot of use.

Honestly I didn't realize the Duo-R's are all thru-hole caps. The layout also seems very clean compared to a normal Duo. I do wish they used SMD/SMT caps under the laser area instead of mini caps so I could have used ceramic in that area.

I found a seller in the US that sells the lens for under $20 so I just bought a couple more as I don't want the one in my US Duo going bad and not have one on hand. I have a region mod Obey chip and RGB chip from Turbokon sitting here with the 8port din I just need the caps. They havn't arrived yet.

I may put my US Duo into storage and use this Duo-R full time from now on. I was thinking of selling it after fixing it up. But now I am not sure....

DUO-R usually does Not have cap issue like DUO, normally, I don't recap DUO-R unless it is necessary

choijimmy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:36:41 AM »

blueraven

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 05:19:28 AM »
I assume you used the laser replacement thread, I'm glad it's still serving people as a good reference. I still have to update it with the Duo-R Photos.

Once the laser itself goes bad there's really no "fixing" it. I disassembled one to try and revive it many years back, but the pickup was just completely worn out, and unless you want to keep that tiny piece of plastic around for nostalgia, or perhaps as a "parts" unit, it serves no function. Electronix Corp used to sell the Japanese HOP-M3 lasers for about $6 more than the current Chiinese/Hong Kong-Made (they work great) lasers that you can get for $14 on alibaba. It usually comes down to the laser itself, as opposed to jumping right into a trim pot adjustment. I only recommend that if you have installed a new laser, and notice:

1. Severe lag time
2. No Response
3. Read issues, displaced sound issues, etc

It is possible to "tune" the laser via the trip pots as described in the thread, but I would only recommend doing this if you have an ocilloscope, some electrical knowledge, and a lot of patience.

All in all, its not worth fixing, you'd have to find the laser-pickup part and that is getting way too meta. just buy a new one, and have a spare in case it ever goes bad. It will be the $28 insurance policy for your Duo.

caw
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

MNKyDeth

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 05:55:59 AM »
Yeah I found a place in the US on ebay no less. That has them for sale in the US for $19.95 free shipping.

I snagged up two just a few minutes ago to make sure I have replacements on hand. I don't have an Oscilliscope but I did adjust the pots on my US Duo after doing a cap replacement and all works great at the moment.

Btw, all of the guides here are great and an extremely valuable resource imo.

Would there be any interest in the exact cap values in a Duo-R + the diameter + height values? I am going to replace them in this Duo-R no matter what and I can record them when I start taking them out.