Author Topic: PcE GT component identifiying  (Read 305 times)

deubeul

PcE GT component identifiying
« on: November 12, 2015, 03:34:25 AM »
Hi tech guys (and others)

I need a little help to identify a smd component in GT/TE (hope WilyKat won't mind I stole his pic, it's the only one I found with the component visible)

I think it's a voltage regulator, but not sure.

Thanks for your help!

Vimtoman

Re: PcE GT component identifiying
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:02:43 AM »
D500 It's a Diode.
If you have a meter with a diode check you should get a reading.

They don't tend to fail that often.

What's the problem with the GT?

wilykat

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
It's fine taking my picture since you're not selling it for money.  :mrgreen:

Like other said, it is diode.  Normally it should measure .6v to .7v between cathode and anode but it's hard to measure it in circuit because any parallel resistor will cause very low reading.

If a diode fails, it almost always develop a short (would read 0v).  You would have to remove it to properly test it.

If you can tell what is wrong, some of us expert could help point you to the right direction.

Fidde_se

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 10:34:59 PM »
It's a SB10-015P

Any reason to why you think it's this particular component that's not working?
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

deubeul

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 03:59:12 AM »
Wow, thanks guys for your answers! and for the ref!!

I think it's not working because the chip is broken in two in one GT, and missing in another one:mrgreen:

I got a third one which is supposedly working (waiting for a new screen, 6260 mod done) on which I measured 9 point 50something Volt on the left pin (same as the PSU), 0V on center pin and 9.0V on right pin.
That's what made me think (obviously wrong, it seems) that it was a 9V voltage regulator.

Fidde_se

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:15:55 AM by Fidde_se »
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

deubeul

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:04:11 AM »
Yep, I found this datasheet thanks to your réf, and another one which says it's a voltage regulator, I wasn't that far 😁

wilykat

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 08:51:22 AM »
If the chip is physically broken, then it is broken  :mrgreen: As for missing, it may have been removed to check or because it was bad and someone didn't get suitable replacement or something.

Hope that's all you need to replace.  TE and GT can be a pain in the ass to fix because it's so small, has excessive amount of gray goo covering some componenets, and one bad cap can make repairing trace hard.  The lack of schematic to help with power supply and built in LCD (with inverter power) is not helping at all.

deubeul

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 04:37:50 AM »
Can't agree more! I already fixed 4 or 5 GTs but these two and the screenless one are the last I'll do, too much headaches  for a guy who has barely no skills in electronics (I'm good at soldering though).

I got a fourth one, screen modded, that i lent to a friend, I'll use it as a reference to fix the others when I'll get it back.