Author Topic: If I do a region MOD for TG16-CD sys card 3.0  (Read 378 times)

waynedoodle

If I do a region MOD for TG16-CD sys card 3.0
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:38:02 AM »
Hey guys, quick question. If I do a region mod so I can purchase a much cheaper 3.0 JPN System card for a TG16-CD, would the JPN 3.0 run both the English and Japanese Super-CD's since the CD's are not region protected?

For the price of a US 3.0 card you might as well just purchase a DUO.

Thanks,
WD

MNKyDeth

Re: If I do a region MOD for TG16-CD sys card 3.0
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:46:40 AM »
You can run JP/US cd's in any PCE/TG16 type of system as long as you have the appropriate system card. So yes, you can.

Do a region mod, use a JP system card 3.0 or Arcade Card Pro and then play any cd game of your choice.
You will also have the option of playing JP Hucards as well. :)

GohanX

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:46:34 AM »
Yep, I have a Japanese Arcade Card Pro almost permanently attached to my tg16.

wilykat

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
If you only need region mod to play System 3.0, it may be cheaper to contact someone about chopsado adapter (is he still making it?) but if you also plan to play other hucard from Japanese region, then region mod is the right path.

Stingray

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
If you only need region mod to play System 3.0, it may be cheaper to contact someone about chopsado adapter (is he still making it?) but if you also plan to play other hucard from Japanese region, then region mod is the right path.
I was wondering the exact same thing the OP asked.  What is that adapter, is it only for using the 3.0 system card?

MNKyDeth

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:01:03 AM »
I was wondering the exact same thing the OP asked.  What is that adapter, is it only for using the 3.0 system card?

The chopsado or any other converter will allow JP games to run on US systems or vice versa depending on the version? No idea if there were versions for both directions or not.

Plug the HuCard into the device, plug the device in to the console. Wilykat was saying that if you plan on using more than one thing, like multiple games from either region, then a region mod is most likely the best way to go.

waynedoodle

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »
Thanks for the respone and guidance guys.  Steering me in the right direction as always.

Now, important question.  For a DIY project, what do ya'll recommend?  Obey chip or one of the great board members?

WD
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:00:03 PM by waynedoodle »

wilykat

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
Depends on how good are you with soldering iron.  If you're decent, you can get the chip and do it yourself.  But if you're the kind that can accidentally set the desk on fire just by touching the iron, pay someone to do it.

OBEY is easy to install.  But it may not work with Turbo Everdrive.  If you plan to get the chip and TED, make sure the 5v wire is tapped onto 7805 regulator chip and not elsewhere for best stability.

There's also the old 8P2T switch, no power needed but it's hard to find these switch these day.  I used to be able to see them for under $5 a pop but now day it's about $25 so it's actually more expensive than the chip mod.

waynedoodle

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »
I love my TG 16, but DAMN what a pickey system.  Bad gears, bad capacitors, and now a decision on region mod.  This system takes an investment!

My system has been with me for over 25 years and hopefully tomorrow I can play some blazing lazers!

thanks Wilykat for the insight.  Its like you've done this before.

WD

waynedoodle

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 01:25:51 PM »
What chaps my ass is the price for a us 3.0 card, you can just about buy a Duo.  If my CD would have worked 10 years ago, before I had to change the gear, I would not be in this boat!

WD
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:44:52 AM by waynedoodle »

wilykat

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
Buy PCE 3.0 card and add chopsado.  Cheapest way to get Duo-like support on a TG-16

ginoscope

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 12:48:48 AM »
What chaps my ass is the price for a us 3.0 card, you can just about buy a Duo.  If my CD would have worked 10 years ago, before I had to change the gear, I would not be in this boat!

WD

The US 3.0 card is insane but it was also really limited and only available via mail order.  I remember waiting what seemed like 6-8 weeks to get the card in the mail with gates of thunder.  I stupidly sold all that years ago but I am happy now with a DUO with a region mod.