Author Topic: Mega Man CD for PCE/TG-CD with new metal/rock soundtrack!  (Read 1519 times)

vacantplanets

Mega Man CD for PCE/TG-CD with new metal/rock soundtrack!
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:44:52 AM »
Mega Man with an awesome rock/metal CD soundtrack for the PC Engine/Turbografx CD! This can be played on real hardware or with an emulator.

This is one of the coolest things ever. I recently discovered Krzysztof's music and instantly realized that this needed to be added to Tom's work. Enjoy!

Google "[MOD] Mega Man CD - Rock Version (with real guitar covers)" to find it and download it. Should be the first result.

Thanks to Tom for all of his hard work!
https://pcedev.wordpress.com/downloads-and-links/

Soundtrack by Krzysztof Słowikowski.

I'd rather be playing guitar or listening to a PC Engine CD soundtrack.

Currently playing PC Engine, Saturn, and SNES MSU1.

Black Tiger

Re: Mega Man CD for PCE/TG-CD with new metal/rock soundtrack!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
I love heavy metal, but that soundtrack is very much not for me and kills the excitement and pacing of Mega Man. It's basically a smooth jazz take of the bgms, performed with laid back sleepy electric guitars.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vacantplanets

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »
I love heavy metal, but that soundtrack is very much not for me and kills the excitement and pacing of Mega Man. It's basically a smooth jazz take of the bgms, performed with laid back sleepy electric guitars.

Haha, I'm confused. You clicked on the youtube link I posted and think that's smooth jazz? You're talking about the soundtrack that I replaced, right? I'm sorry if you don't like it. I love it; I don't see how it could be any better or more faithful to the original. At least check out Wily 2 at 18:19. :)

Oh, that video is just the soundtrack playing over gameplay footage. Notice no sound effects. It's not a playthrough of the game I uploaded.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:40:22 AM by vacantplanets »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:44:40 AM »
I dig the tunes, but the lack of sound effects and missing seek times when changing tracks makes it feel weird to watch.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

vacantplanets

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »
I dig the tunes, but the lack of sound effects and missing seek times when changing tracks makes it feel weird to watch.

Glad you like it.

Well then download it and play it for yourself, haha.

If I was any good at the first Mega Man, I'd upload my own video. I have no idea what I'm doing in that game. I played the hell out of 2, 3, and 5 though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:03:29 PM by vacantplanets »

Enternal

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
I'm not saying this as an insult, but imo the vid would be better without looking at your crotch while you play guitar. It's understand its very common thing with these videos and you wanna give props to your playing. Perhaps showing yourself playing during the beginning of a track or closing would be better. It distracts from showing the game and yourself having both going on at the same time.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 12:08:39 PM »
I hope the new tracks weren't just taken from a Youtube video, but instead an uncompressed WAV of AIF source. Stuff like Youtube vids or MP3s should never be used because the compression destroys them.

blueraven

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »
Wow. I just got the new version of Megaman last year from Jodi, which I should say is fantastic, but this really blows my mind! A fantastic display of musicianship. Really liked the Gibson Hawk he was playing too, thats a killer guitar.

Agreed, if there were sound effects, I would actually be much more excited, but holy shit this guy is good!  :clap: :clap: 8)
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

vacantplanets

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
Wow. I just got the new version of Megaman last year from Jodi, which I should say is fantastic, but this really blows my mind! A fantastic display of musicianship. Really liked the Gibson Hawk he was playing too, thats a killer guitar.

Agreed, if there were sound effects, I would actually be much more excited, but holy shit this guy is good!  :clap: :clap: 8)

If anyone's interested, his covers have also been added to Mega Man X2 and X3 thanks to the MSU-1 playable through the SD2SNES or Higan/BSNES. I also added his X3 soundtrack to the Saturn and Playstation versions. I uploaded them on the same site as I did with Mega Man CD. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:07:19 PM by vacantplanets »

blueraven

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, bud. He really gets the soundtrack note-for-note, and flies through it all on that Hawk; and I wouldn't put him in the same class as Pat Metheney or that coffeeshop shit we all have to sit through occasionally. This is some fantastic shit. Granted, there are some serious problems: No sound effects, like Necro brought up, and as Joe says, its impossible to tell if this is just him playing to what is on the video. ...But when he gets into it in the boss fights and the Dr. Wily stages, he goes off like a f*cking firecracker. I'm not even that much of a metal fan and I sat thru all 25+ minutes of it. I'd hire him Megadeth shirt and all to play leads in my band.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »
If anyone's interested, his covers have also been added to Mega Man X2 and X3 thanks to the MSU-1 playable through the SD2SNES or Higan/BSNES. I also added his X3 soundtrack to the Saturn and Playstation versions. I uploaded them on the same site as I did with Mega Man CD. :)

As long as you're not linking the actual ROM, you're good with posting that link here. An update patch is also fine to link to.

nopepper

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
That was pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing.

One issue I have is that the music is way too loud by default. Can you please explain what the different channels in the options screen represent? I played around with the numbers next to all the channels, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Was it set that way as an ironic joke to the typical CD game, with the comparatively loud SFXs?!?

In any case, this was still great. I made it to the stupid yellow boss and rage quit after. The rock soundtrack fits the game pretty darn well, so great job.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
Pretty sweet!  Makes me think about & hope that once I finish my version of the soundtrack, that most people will dig it.  I'm making some interesting choices at times that some may or may not like.  So far, the few that have heard what I've done I'd say have given me mostly thumbs up so far, so that's encouraging, but I know I can't please everybody, including myself! :D

Bonknuts

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »
One issue I have is that the music is way too loud by default. Can you please explain what the different channels in the options screen represent? I played around with the numbers next to all the channels, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Was it set that way as an ironic joke to the typical CD game, with the comparatively loud SFXs?!?

Are you talking about the channel volume levels in the options menu? They aren't working for you?

In any case, this was still great. I made it to the stupid yellow boss and rage quit after. The rock soundtrack fits the game pretty darn well, so great job.
Play it in easy mode :P

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 07:16:59 PM »

You must have watched some other video, or maybe I got the wrong one. I got one where its absolutely first rate power metal covers of tunes previously rendered as barely listenable beeps and bleeps.. I guess I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:44:42 AM by SignOfZeta »