Author Topic: Turbo variants  (Read 770 times)

slinkyturd

Turbo variants
« on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:07 AM »
I've just found out about Champions Forever Boxing Black and Red label variants (I'm not sure which is rarer or if it matters to anyone). I am curious if any others in the US library have such variants.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:02:16 AM by slinkyturd »
70/95 US Turbochips

Black Tiger

Re: Turbo variants
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:55:07 AM »
CFB got a reprint which fixes a bug that nakes it incompatible with the TurboBooster.

There are two main physical versions of Ys I & II.  Many games including Ys I & II have different text, print, etc between batches.

Many games have various stickers on theur shrinkwrap, while other copies of the same titles don't. Same with pack-in flyers.

Canadian versions also have differences.

Collectards will view these things as variants, but they're really no big deal.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:05:27 AM »
Yarr, there's several games with minor differences between batches, but only a few stand out.  Besides the obvious differences in Champions Forever Boxing and between the retail and pack-in versions of Ys, the only one that comes to mind is the reprint of Dungeon Explorer II with the cheap ass black and white xerox manual.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ginoscope

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:16:42 AM »
Yarr, there's several games with minor differences between batches, but only a few stand out.  Besides the obvious differences in Champions Forever Boxing and between the retail and pack-in versions of Ys, the only one that comes to mind is the reprint of Dungeon Explorer II with the cheap ass black and white xerox manual.

Anymore details to the Dungeon Explorer II reprint?  I remember reading bits and pieces of this being done but did not know the whole story.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:39:53 AM »
There's not much to tell.  TZD had more copies made and either weren't given access to original art files or didn't want to pay for professionally printed manuals; I lean towards the latter, as it wouldn't have been difficult (or terribly pricey) to create new art files from an original paper manual.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ginoscope

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 04:48:46 AM »
Oh ok I was thinking it was someone besides TZD that commissioned the reprint. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 06:56:34 AM »
Oh ok I was thinking it was someone besides TZD that commissioned the reprint. 

It's likely not even a reprint, just an uneven number of discs per packaging. This "variant" is just incomplete OEM copies. The photocopied manual is just the cheapest of repro docs. Unfortunately, just as crooked sellers advertise Ys with a manual as "complete", many like to spin incomplete copies of DEII as "complete" extra rare variants.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Yeah, you generally have to sell out of something before you "reprint" it. Probably best described as defective/surplus stock.

esteban

Turbo variants
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 04:44:01 PM »
An employee, who shall remain unnamed, accidentally knocked over a ZIMA at a TZD Cinco de Mayo party. The spill went unnoticed until May 15th.

An undisclosed number of Bravoman, Drop Off and Dungeon Explorer II manuals were soaked—pages stuck together.

Photocopies of the Dungeon Explorer II manual, created by the unnamed culprit, were substituted in place of the originals.
  |    | 

slinkyturd

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »
On the Champions Forever Boxing, which was the correction and which has the defect?
70/95 US Turbochips

grolt

Turbo variants
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:57 AM »
On the Champions Forever Boxing, which was the correction and which has the defect?

The red version is fixed, while the black version has an audio glitch only if you go out through the RF output on the TG-16. If you are playing the black Hucard through any composite connection it will still sound just fine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:34:30 AM by grolt »
I'm a notorious strange man.

xelement5x

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:16:15 AM »
An employee, who shall remain unnamed, accidentally knocked over a ZIMA at a TZD Cinco de Mayo party. The spill went unnoticed until May 15th.

An undisclosed number of Bravoman, Drop Off and Dungeon Explorer II manuals were soaked—pages stuck together.

Photocopies of the Dungeon Explorer II manual, created by the unnamed culprit, were substituted in place of the originals.

Damnit Carl!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

tool

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »
this is a collectard topic. who cares how many variants are there. only collectards care about variants. Like you said, play the games.

djolof

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
this is a collectard topic. who cares how many variants are there. only collectards care about variants. Like you said, play the games.

Still waiting for your market report, tool. C'mon already!

djolof

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
Jack Nicklaus golf is on a turbo-chip and CD. Not that anyone should own two copies of that game.