Author Topic: Dragon's Curse Value new sealed?  (Read 5083 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Dragon's Curse Value new sealed?
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2016, 09:27:05 AM »
Ha!  I sniff the smokey ones after letting 'em air out for a couple days to see if it was long enough or if I need to get out the activated charcoal.  Does that count?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
I don't need to actually sniff freshly unsealed games, but I do appreciate the strong scent of new "old" games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

xelement5x

« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »
I just wanting for someone to admit they're a game manual sniffer. I know you're out there.

That is me!  But let me explain a bit...

When I was younger I would borrow games from a friend and he stored/played them all in the finished basement at his parent's house.  His Mom also did laundry in the basement, and it must have been right near the shelf where he kept everything, because all of his game manuals smelled like that odor you associate with clean laundry.  Every time I borrowed games from them and got them back to my little house I would open up the manual to smell that amazing scent. 

Now I want to find that fabric softener or whatever she used.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Bonknuts

« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
Ha!  I sniff the smokey ones after letting 'em air out for a couple days to see if it was long enough or if I need to get out the activated charcoal.  Does that count?

Well.. hmm. That depends. Are you sniffing them for utilitarian purposes or is it some sort of.. stimulating response? An inhalation of old memories flooding through your consciousness, the memorable essence of a lost time and place, folded into the-here-and-now; transcending the distance of time and space.. for just the b-r-i-e-f-e-s-t of moments. And the slow exhale of breath climbing over your teeth, dissipating back into the world.. as the residue of memories tingle and prick among the fading sensations of nostalgia. I dunno. Probably something like that, I would imagine.

xelement5x: That's just weird...

deubeul

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2016, 10:30:04 AM »
In France we call that "la madeleine de Proust", smells that make you travel back to best memories of childhood.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
Well.. hmm. That depends. Are you sniffing them for utilitarian purposes or is it some sort of.. stimulating response?

Can it be both?

<< cue the brown chicken brown cow music >>
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »

Well.. hmm. That depends. Are you sniffing them for utilitarian purposes or is it some sort of.. stimulating response?

Can it be both?

<< cue the brown chicken brown cow music >>

Do video game manuals have that old book smell?  That's a good smell.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

wilykat

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »
Haven't had any old book smell. I think the smell comes from moisture causing slight musty smell on older paper.  Newer paper seems less likely to develop old smell.

If instruction book smelled like old book, I;d check the game very carefully for corroded contact or other damage.

esteban

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »

In France we call that "la madeleine de Proust", smells that make you travel back to best memories of childhood.

Oui, oui, oui!

Whenever I smell onion soup, I am swept back to magical memories of playing Timeball/Blodia all night.
  |    | 

Bonknuts

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
This is why French is awesome :D

Necromancer: For you, I think we can make that exception.

I dunno. Maybe it's just this overwhelming sense of positive energy radiating from the recent turn of this thread, but I really feel it's time to bring Terence McKenna in this conversation: https://youtu.be/XlBzIecpxfE?t=3m5s

esteban

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2016, 01:12:54 PM »
^ I would have suggested Alan Watts.

:)
  |    | 

blueraven

« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
Both work esteban.

...it could be the eye of the hurricane.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

toymachine78

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »
My wife sells used manuals on craigslist. All you manual sniffers HMU lol

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »

I dunno. Maybe it's just this overwhelming sense of positive energy radiating from the recent turn of this thread....

Right?  I was just about to remark on that.  It seems like there's been so much flaming & bitching clogging the threads these days.  This was a nice change of pace.  Thanks guys! ^-^  it definitely softens the blow of having to part with my heirlooms. 
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

johnnykonami

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
I'll buy a sealed game if possible every time, but I open them always.  I admit they sometimes sit sealed on my shelf until I'm ready to play them.  But having everything in nice new condition is great, because I know I'll take care of it.  The used game market can be so depressing with all the messed up cartridge stickers, children's names scrawled in marker (or worse, see pic below), missing manuals, missing other stuff like posters, etc.  See my recent unboxing of Cosmotank, my mom found for me for Xmas.  Pretty cool to open a new GB game, got a poster which I'm gonna frame and hang up for cool game room decor.  I've already played it a couple times and I know it will stay in nice condition for as long as the sands of time will let it.  I just think keeping games sealed is a shame.  Of course you can emulate in many cases, but one thing I've found is with an unlimited pool of free games, you tend not to want to play any of them.  If you carefully acquire just the ones you really want one at a time, you will give them a little more love and attention.

I think everyone here is aware of the supply and demand issue concerning classic games.  There's a finite supply and keeping games sealed or worse (VGA graded) relegates them to the status of currency, functionally no different than a $50 or $100 bill, to be passed around and fetishized but never actually used for it's intended purpose.  It's a free market though, and if you buy em' sealed, you're free to display them that way.  I do think there's a degree of fetishism no matter what, I basically described that above.  But get the full use out of your purchase!  It can still be kept in nice condition after opening it.  And emulation isn't the answer for everything.  NEC emulation is pretty good, but I'm sure a few people could point out weird issues with certain games.  Saturn emulation blows.  N64 emulation blows.  Just sayin'.