Author Topic: BRAM upgrade hack  (Read 5293 times)

wilykat

Re: BRAM upgrade hack
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »
On top somewhere. Somehow I lost the file I was going to use to make for clean square opening and the local store only carries round in small size range.

Vimtoman

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2016, 03:27:09 AM »
Maybe browse around for a bezel for the dual displays.
Could be a 3D printing job.

wilykat

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2016, 08:24:02 AM »

Installed.  All that's left is to get a cover bezel with transparent smoked cover to make it look neat but I don't think 3D printer does polycarbonite plastic and most other plastic aren't transparent.  I may need to look for a smoked transparent sheet of acylic or something, and cut it out, bevel the edge, and cut an opening for the buttons.

Also to replace the stock backup cap.  The saves on the new chip survived about 2 weeks without external power.

esteban

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »

Installed.  All that's left is to get a cover bezel with transparent smoked cover to make it look neat but I don't think 3D printer does polycarbonite plastic and most other plastic aren't transparent.  I may need to look for a smoked transparent sheet of acylic or something, and cut it out, bevel the edge, and cut an opening for the buttons.

Also to replace the stock backup cap.  The saves on the new chip survived about 2 weeks without external power.

That is L'Awesome.

:)
  |    | 

Vimtoman

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 03:09:11 AM »
Like the blue display.

Dicer

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
That's downright shitnifty...

shabba

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »
Little bump-er-oo...

Awesome. I was searching for ways to increase the saves on my Duo-R and it seems I found the best thread as to how to do this.

Is this something that might become a common mod like the av or region mods so many folks do to their systems?
-Colin
Old enough to be your dad. Just ask your mom.

testinator

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
This is interesting; and for the Duo it looks like.

Well done!

That said, why not use the PC-Engine Memory Base 128 or Koei SAVE KUN KH-1001 instead?

They can be used over the controller port, no internal modifications required.

I am guessing the author is already aware of the Ten no Koe as well. Though clearly a Backup Booster is not usable with a Duo, there are other options for those needing more save space as far as I can discern.

I may be missing something though!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2016, 02:33:38 AM »
A game has to programmed to access a MB128, whereas this mod is usable by any game that uses internal save ram.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MNKyDeth

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »
A game has to programmed to access a MB128, whereas this mod is usable by any game that uses internal save ram.

Wasn't someone working on a way to access the MB128 with an Everdrive so we wouldn't need to load up a game like Emerald Dragon? I only ask as that's how I do it currently.

As for the thread, this mod is pretty amazing. I have done plenty of region mods and had to cut holes for the switches but I am not real keen on putting holes in the top of a console, dremel, files, and any amount of expertise can still have issues when doing that sort of thing to something you have to look at everyday.

However putting something like this in the back or side of the console would be much more favorable if there was room for it.

wilykat

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
To answer a few question: MBase128 could be used instead but only Japanese games supported it directly and only certain ones like Private Eye Dol would be practical for swapping the whole 2k bank from internal Duo to the base.  There's also Tennokoe card which can swap but it is only 8k (4 banks) and in all of the cases you would either need guide or Japanese reading skill to figure out how to use it.  Plus those requires CD so if you have PCE, Coregrafx, or TG-16 without CD dock, you're out of luck.

My hack does not require learning another language at all. Just solder in new chip, switches (or my ATMega with LED readout), and it's ready.  Still working today after a few months.

Replacing the original SOIC is the hardest part. Tennokoe2 and I believe TurboBooster Plus uses DIP version instead and would be easier but this assumes you are not going to use CD system at all.  For Duo, all seems to use SOIC and that requires very fine desoldering skill or a good hot air rework station.

Duo_R

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2016, 08:06:52 PM »
Please sell a parts kit! Great mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq