Author Topic: I can't get Strider to work on my Turboduo?  (Read 609 times)

Bloodsack

I can't get Strider to work on my Turboduo?
« on: August 31, 2006, 03:45:00 AM »
Every other game works fine except Strider and sapphire.  I really want strider to work.  anyone have a idea on how to get strider working?

Thanks

TEKWRX

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:58:01 AM »
I think those games require the Arcade Card Duo, right?

Bloodsack

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:16:02 AM »
I have a turboduo ver.3.00  so it should work?

TEKWRX

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 04:34:40 AM »
No, I think you still need the Arcade Card.  maybe one of the experts can chime in here.  I know Sappire won't work on my DUO-RX

Bloodsack

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 04:48:43 AM »
You might be right.

how much for a USA arcade card these days?

Thanks for answering my questions :)

td741

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 05:06:50 AM »
Quote from: "Bloodsack"

how much for a USA arcade card these days?

That would be difficult as there are no US version of Arcade Cards.

If you have a US system, then you'll need a converter (or a modded system) and an Arcade Card.  (Either Pro or DUO will work with a DUO).

T2KFreeker

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
Yeah, I was going to chime in here, but you guys nailed it. I missed it. I need an arcade card as well, the last thuing I need to finish up my Turbo Collection. It will be a good day when I can do that and probably hunt down Fatal Fury and Strider myself. I'd love to get saphire, but I don't feel like getting raped! :roll:
END OF LINE.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:57:57 AM »
Yeah, you need a converter and a JP Arcade Card. Since you have a Duo, either the Duo, or Pro versions of the Arcade Card will work.

You may have a problem beyond that though. Sapphire crashes on the 2nd stage if you are using anything other than a Kisado converter, or probably that newer one. Both are stupid purchases at this point since they cost as much as a Japanese system.

You might not have that problem with Sapphire, but from what I remember that's how it works. Mad Stalker (another Arcade Card game) actually won't run at all with a cheap converter in a US system.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:10:04 PM »
It seems to me that there is a problem with Strider and the Kisado converter though as well. I remember my buddy having it and when he threw it into the "Purple Barney" converter in both the Duo and the TG16, it worked just fine, but when he used the Kisado, the game would suffer from evil glitches like the game falling apart in the graphics department. It also miked to crash alot. Weird.
END OF LINE.

td741

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
I played both Mad Stalker and Sapphire with an early Kisado and a Purple Barney (with the casing removed since it didn't fit in a duo).  I didn't really have any problems?  I guess it's YMMV.

Hmm... Okay I do remember occasionnally seeing a glitch in the ship-zooming animation using one of those converters, but it wasn't very often.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »
You can also mod a region switch on your Turbo Duo or have someone do it for you if you don't want the other options.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
The purple converter is, by far, the best if everything I read is true.  I don't call it "Barney" though since the only resemblence is the color.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
Man, wouldn't a converter that actually looked like Barney be awesome?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

vestcoat

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
yep, you need an Arcade Card Duo or Pro to play ACD games like Strider.

I remember when I first walked into a small store called Games to Go (RIP) in a suburb of Minneapolis in 1997.  It was one of those rare, almost non-existent game stores that had tons of random used gear for every system ever made.  I had never heard of the Arcade Card before and I thought the guy at the counter was totally pulling my leg at first.  I kept going back to that store and, over the next several months, I purchased an Arcade Card Duo ($70 new), Fatal Fury 2 ($60 new), World Heroes 2 ($40), an Avenue pad 6 ($40) and a Barney Converter ($40?).
As you can see, I got screwed.  Ebay and the global market have brought the price down on some things.

To get back on topic, the Barney Converter sucks.
I always got it to work, but sometimes it would take me 10 full minutes of sliding it in and out of the system and sliding the card in and out of the converter.  sometimes i would get a blank screen or a white screen or a flashing screen.  sometimes a game would work for a second and than freeze as soon as i hit start...err, RUN.
Sometimes a game would work but half the graphics would be scrambled.

I now have most of the ACD games and my Miria adapter works fine with all of them, including Sapphire on the 2nd level.  I've never used a Kisado converter.
You can buy the Miria Converter for $99 at TZD.com
you can also get your system modified ( http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca or http://www.multimods.com), buy a PC engine or do random searches on evilbay hoping for a cheap turbo grafx/pc engine converter/adapter.
The miria adapter is pretty good.  it usually works on the first try, sometimes the second.

The Arcade Card Duo is typically the cheaper of the two cards but it only works on..you guessed it--Duo systems.  The Pro card works on everything.  The best deal in town is to order the $26 Arcade Card Pro (loose) at http://japangamestock.com/

you can scope out sweet pictures of all the ACD games at www.pcecp.com and decide whether this is all worth the hassle (yes).

welcome to the forums, Bloodsack

Bloodsack

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 01:27:15 AM »
Thanks for everyones input.  I've been reading the duo's aren't very relieable.  I am thinking in a few months getting Duo-R maybe....if I have the cash.  Whats different about the duo & duo-R.

Thanks