Author Topic: Behold! The PC Engine Turbo UNO!  (Read 2030 times)

Keith Courage

Behold! The PC Engine Turbo UNO!
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »

If you think I just put a PC engine inside here then guess again.

I hacked a DUO motherboard in half!

Why would I do that you say? I have no idea. I always wondered what it would look like since the DUO casing always looked to me as if two halves of a system were thrown together.

The original DUO had so many problems it was not worth fixing them. Someone prior to me receiving this broken DUO had tried to repair a bunch of stuff and mucked it all up. Not to mention the original case had melted warped/burn marks all over it. I was able to cut the bad parts of the casing out. I was hoping to leave the text that says pad on the controller port hole but things didn't line up well case wise to where I could keep it. I wanted the cut in the casing to not be noticeable from up above and that part turned out great.

Also, I feel I should mention that even prior to me lopping the motherboard in half, a turbo everdrive would not work. No clue why. Checked the connection to all the hu card pins and all seemed fine. So I wanted to install a nice looking region switch instead, but the board would not work with any chip based region switch I tried either. I tested two styles that I normally use but neither would work.

Anyways, because of this I went with an older style 8pdt switch for the region switch and it works great. I've tried at least 20 hu cards on it so far with no issues whatsoever. I had to mount it just above the hu card slot due to lack of space.

Not sure if I'll ever do this again because it was a lot of work. I had to re wire/solder up parts of the controller port due to lack of size and how small I wanted to cut down the original board. It was also very difficult to cut down the casing the way I wanted in order to line up screws holes/shape etc...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:12:46 PM by NightWolve »

Gredler

Re: Behold! The PC Engine Turbo UNO!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »

Looks awesomely sick, so clean and professional. Nice job!

johnnykonami

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Wow!  Maybe a bit more like what the US version of the PCE shoulda been than what we got.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:34:06 PM by johnnykonami »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
Show us the inside.

elmer

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »
That's such a beautiful, beautiful hack ... I'm totally jealous of your skills!  :D

jtucci31

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
Now you just need to shave off the part where it says "Super CDROM" and "DUO" and have "UNO" printed on there :lol:

Looks really cool! Well done. I, too, would like to see the inside.

ginoscope

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
That is really awesome at first I thought it was a joke because it looked so well done. 

thesteve

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 03:57:20 PM »
is that the sawed in half board you sent me as parts and i pulled the cut chips off it and it ran?

blueraven

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »
Goddamn. That is badass.

Nice job on shortening it, I like how you kept the lines and didn't hack the thing to pieces! looks like it was put together well...

Question... is it the guts from a SuperCDROM2 inside the case?

This is the f*cking most awesome thing i will see this year.

You won!

Seriously!

Yes.  :clap:
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

crazydean

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:17:15 PM »
Very nice! You did a good job keeping the lines right on it. What do you plan to do with it now that it works?
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

johnnykonami

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
Now that I'm thinking about it, shouldn't it be more like the Turbo Solo?

Gentlegamer

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
Bueno!

Keith Courage

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 05:08:13 PM »
Does it have saveram?

unfortunately no save RAM. The only way that would have been possible is if i had made the case much larger then it is. it would have ended up looking like a three-quarter inch size duo system. The shaping would have looked horrible because part of the CD Drive side would still have to exist(case wise)
I was trying to go for something that would have looked as streamline /stock looking as possible.

also, before I hacked the board in half, I was only able to access the system memory bank 50% of the time. So there was something really messed up trace wise in that section of the board as well. So no big loss.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:30:21 PM by Keith Courage »

NightWolve

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »

Looks awesomely sick, so clean and professional. Nice job!

I'll raise you! ;)

Groover

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »
It looks good. It really does remind me of a CoreGrafx with a CD-ROM2. I would like to see it with the duo door.