Author Topic: Behold! The PC Engine Turbo UNO!  (Read 2020 times)

Corredor X

Re: Behold! The PC Engine Turbo UNO!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 02:55:06 AM »
That's a work of art, that should be the way the console was released back then.

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 03:51:55 AM »
This is an amazing work of art! Reminds me of those WideCards people like to photoshop.

I'd love to see stand alone Super CD uno which only plays CD games. :)

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Enternal

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 04:18:50 AM »
At the start of my scrolling I was thinking "wtf is this, some sort of rare prototype?"  Show us the inside :)

grendelrt

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 05:42:01 AM »
Wow this is nuts,  I am surprised you were able to get everything working with one half the motherboard.  Super props are due.

Desh

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 05:45:26 AM »
Very cool mod.  The finished product looks amazing!  I concur that it looks "cooler" with the Hucard door in place.

jelloslug

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 06:13:26 AM »
I could 3D print a case like that...

esteban

Behold! The PC Engine Turbo UNO!
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
A match made in heaven:

|    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
Does it have saveram?

unfortunately no save RAM.

Maybe next time. (There's a joke somewhere in there, I promise.)

Keith Courage

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »
I didn't have to do much at all to have everything work other than solder in some wires for the controller port. Everything else just works as is. The difficult part was all the cutting done for the casing and board to get everything lined up just right. I used a mix of Hot glue in some areas and two part epoxy in others to hold the case together. After using a file to create a notch in the motherboard I was also able to get 4 screw holes to line up nicely.

And yes, I cut right through a bunch of unneeded chips that were most likely bad anyways. I felt like being destructive.

Here are some pics of the inside. A little difficult to get good pics cause of how the region switch is wired/glued in now.

seieienbu

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »
...this is why today was a good day to internet.  That's incredible; I'm especially impressed with the plastic-work for lack of a better term.  It looks very clean.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

wilykat

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is this literally running while missing chips/pieces of the mobo?  Did you compensate for that in some way or are there sections of board that just aren't needed?  Anyway, looks badass and professional so cheers on creativity and job well done. 

Duo is basically PC Engine with CD system and System 3.0 married in one.  If you know which chips to keep and can check the traces, it is possible to cut out the CD specific section and leave the core system intact so it'd be basically Coregrafx board in a Duo shell.

SephirothTNH

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »
...since the DUO casing always looked to me as if two halves of a system were thrown together.

Yeah I see that.  I've always thought the duo design was heavily inspired by the briefcase set up.

Great work. Really nice case work.  Now make it glossy like Ninja16608's.

martinine

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
Absolutely incredible! I really like the Keith Courage Huey in there! Is heat an issue in the ltight space?
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

wilykat

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »
Absolutely incredible! I really like the Keith Courage Huey in there! Is heat an issue in the ltight space?

Depends, have any report of white PCE or Coregrafx overheating or melting?  KC's hack is basically this and shouldn't have any issue.

Keith Courage

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »

I don't really see it being an issue but I guess only time will tell.