Author Topic: Splatterhouse restricted sales? & Pack in  (Read 598 times)

Enternal

Splatterhouse restricted sales? & Pack in
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:41:01 AM »
My earliest memory of Splatterhouse was playing it on a kiosk at toys r us. I know the game was released before the night trap/mortal kombat controversy that help spawned the ESRB. But for the most part was Splatterhouse ever given age restrictions on sale beforehand?

And at least in my circle of friends Splatterhouse was the only game that my elementary school age friends talked about wanting to play on the TG16, how do you guys think it would have fared to have it succeed Keith Courage as the pack in?

Black Tiger

Re: Splatterhouse restricted sales? & Pack in
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:49:32 AM »
It wouldn't have been a good across the board pack-in, but it would have been a good idea to have lots of pack-in sets or just a store crediting program where NEC/TTi would reinburse stores for giving out any game or one of a wide selection of games to people buying the console.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »

|    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:02:22 AM »
^ *suddenly craves french fries*

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »
I don't recall age restrictions on games back in the day, not even for risque pc games like Leisure Suit Larry.  I wasn't really looking to buy such games, though, so maybe the clerks woulda told me to get lost if I tried to buy one.

As for Splatterhouse's suitability as a pack in, I don't think it would've helped.  It's a better game than Keith in every way and might've helped with some prospective buyers, but the 'mature' content probably would've scared off more than it lured in.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

seieienbu

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:18:37 AM »
I always thought that it would be preferable if a console didn't come with a pack in game but instead your choice of game or just be a bit cheaper.  I wanted Kieth Courage at the time because of the cool colors at the transformation sequence and because the VHS demo they had at McDuff made it look pretty cool so I may well have gone with it anyway but other systems?  I always hated Altered Beast on Genesis and was pretty irked that it was the pack in title. 

Then in the 32 bit era and later you didn't get a game with your console at all.  I guess that was preferable to garbage like Altered Beast though.  Recently when I got a PS4 and was given Uncharted HD Collection as the only option I was kind of annoyed.  I'd much rather saved $20 than have that game.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

sirhcman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
Then in the 32 bit era and later you didn't get a game with your console at all. 

Sega Saturn came with Virtua Fighter pack in, I don't think they offered a "Core" system option at launch

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
Then in the 32 bit era and later you didn't get a game with your console at all. 

Sega Saturn came with Virtua Fighter pack in, I don't think they offered a "Core" system option at launch

Yeah it came with VF, then later included VF 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA as a triple pack.

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »

There was a bundle with Panzer Dragoon in Canada at the early launch.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

crazydean

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 05:53:58 PM »
Why don't companies just sell the bare console with a voucher for a free game of choice?
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

seieienbu

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »

...did it now?  I bought Panzer Dragoon before I had a Saturn because I honestly thought I'd be able to play it on my Sega CD+32X; I was apparently illiterate as a teen.  When I bought a Saturn a couple of months later I honestly don't recall it coming with a game and only having Panzer Dragoon to occupy the system for some time.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 01:22:54 AM »
...I honestly don't recall it coming with a game ...
That's because the pack-in was Virtua Fighter 1 and we live in American where we love Tekken instead.

I worked Babbages at SS launch, it came w/ VF for sure. Panzer and Daytona were the games I recommended to most buyers.

Back on topic, Splatterhouse would not be a good pack-in IMO.7, As much as I piss on Kenny Courageous, it is colorful and easy to play. Splatter is more of a niche tittle.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Jason_dicarlo85

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 04:12:27 AM »
Legendary axe would have been an amazing pack in title.... Or obviously bonks adventure

GohanX

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 06:56:30 AM »
That Saturn three pack was probably the best pack in ever. The only thing that came close was the Duo.

technozombie

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »
I have said this before Dungeon Explorer would have been a great pack-in, and would have likely sold more controllers and multitaps.  Legendary Axe would have been another good choice because it was getting such praise in the press.

Pack-in games essentially cost the console maker nothing. That is why you don't get to choose or get a discount. Uncharted HD for example has already made its money for Sony.