Author Topic: N00b Question  (Read 1173 times)

Chakan

N00b Question
« on: September 04, 2006, 01:24:59 PM »
I'm interested in playing me some NEC games and was wondering what model you fine folks would recommend for me. I want something reliable that will play Turbo and PCE games with as few add-ons/mods as possible (especially if the converter is rare and/or expensive). Of course, I'm very interested in many CD-based games.

takashirose

N00b Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:47:45 PM »
I own a Turbo Duo.  It plays American HuCard games, Japanese HuCard games WITH a converter, which can be expensive, and all American and Japanese CD-Rom games unless it's an Arcade card game, which you need in order to play those and since it's a Japanese HuCard upgrade you would need the Converter.  The PC-Engine DUO plays only Japanese HuCard games(in order to play American games you need to modify it.  Converters alone won't work.), and all American and Japanese CD games unless you need to play the Arcade games , which needs the card.  I bought an American Turbo Duo because I found one new and because it is rarer and I like the Logo more.  Is this the information you want?
Let the old mix with the new.

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 02:16:26 PM »
Quote from: "takashirose"
Is this the information you want?

That summed it up fairly well, thanks. I've been reading up on this stuff a bit and wanted to make sure I had the correct information.

Are Turbo Duos very reliable? I've read about some sound problems and such, but saw the fix that D-lite posted. Is this a very common issue?

EDIT:  Also, this store seems to be the only place I could find a Turbo Duo system for sale (aside from Ebay). Is $250 a decent price? Anyone know of a better place to get one, or should I just watch for a good deal on Ebay?

SignOfZeta

N00b Question
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 04:35:01 PM »
If you buy a US system you'll just eventually end up looking for some way to get around the fact that it won't play JP HuCards. The US library is but a sliver in the great NEC scheme of things. The only titles that you'd really want US versions of would be the ones with a lot of text, and the number of text heavy HuCards is extremely small (only 3 or 4 I can think of). CDs are region free, so the killer RPGs that were released in English (Y's, Dragon Slayer, etc) will still be available to you regardless of the system's region. The only exceptions would be Neutopia, and Dungeon Explorer...and I really can't see missing those. They certainly aren't worth sacrificing Arcade Card compatability for.

All NEC consoles are reliable, but they are also all old so your milage may vary. The sound problem with original Duos is real, but its also vastly overstated.

Avoid adaptors/converters. They are a huge waste of money. They made sense back when systems were $200-600, and the converters were $15, but now they cost as much as an entire system making them totally pointless. They also make a pretty precarious set-up with the HuCard sticking way the hell out of the front of the machine just asking for someone to step on it and snap it off. Stupid looking as well.

I think the best thing going is to get a PC Engine Duo R, or RX. The only things it won't play right out of the box are US HuCards, and honestly how many of those are "must haves"? Pretty much none. US releases are almost always more rare and expensive than JP ones, and they all have crapier boxes.

I suppose everyone is different, but it seems almost certain that you'd be more interested in Japanese Arcade Card games (the use of which on US systems is a huge pain) than you would be in US HuCards.

A JP system needs a mod, in addition to a converter, in order to play US games. A US system just needs a converter to play JP games. The mod the PCE will need though is ridiculously simple.

For the record, I've been collecting Turbo/PCE stuff since about 1992, and I have both US, and JP systems so I'm not just being one of those tools that is recomending a specific avenue just because he wasted a ton of money on it.

SignOfZeta

N00b Question
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:41:33 PM »
Quote from: "Chakan"

EDIT:  Also, this store seems to be the only place I could find a Turbo Duo system for sale (aside from Ebay). Is $250 a decent price? Anyone know of a better place to get one, or should I just watch for a good deal on Ebay?

I think that's a pretty crap deal used, no games, $250. I think that might actually be the worst deal on a Turbo I've ever seen. I bought a Turbo Duo new back in 1992. It was $300, it wasn't used, and it came with 5 games. I can't imagine a used, game-less one should cost that much then, now, or ever.

eBay is loaded with PC Engine/Turbo stuff. That's pretty much the way to go. That, and buying it directly from people like the ones on this or other forums.

Black Tiger

N00b Question
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 04:58:22 PM »
I recommended buying a PC Engine Duo R or RX(not just a regular PCE Duo). They're cheap and reliable and play everything.

If you'd like to also play U.S. HuCards, then just buy a cheap Turbografx-16 system.

These two systems are the cheapest and safest way to go.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

N00b Question
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »
The route Black_Tiger recommends is also the route I always recommend to newcomers as well.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »
Okay, so there's two differing opinions there. From the little bit of research I've done, I see very few US HuCard games that I'd have to get. I've only played a little bit of Neutopia and think I could always get through it either way. I don't remember if Nectaris/MMadness was very text heavy...

The majority of the games I'm looking forward to enjoying again or for the first time are CD-based, so there's no worry about Ys, Exile, etc.

Beyond that, I'd assume I'm perfectly fine. I've played through a number of Japanese Saturn games, so even though my Japanese is weak, I can deal with it.

So... I'm leaning towards a PC Engine Duo-R or RX, I guess. Anyone know of a reliable place in the US selling them, or will I be more-than-likely looking at the nasty EMS shipping price ($50-70 for a $140 priced item?!?)?

Just to cover another possibility, how do you guys feel about the modded systems offered at Multimods? I do love Space Harrier, so it'd be a bummer to not be able to pick it up for a fifth platform... but, yeah, I've got the game for about five consoles. I think I'm good. :D

Keranu

N00b Question
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 06:29:43 PM »
There really isn't much text in Military Madness/Nectaris, so you should be able to play the Japanese version just fine.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

N00b Question
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 12:48:29 AM »
Okay, so there's two differing opinions there. From the little bit of research I've done, I see very few US HuCard games that I'd have to get. I've only played a little bit of Neutopia and think I could always get through it either way. I don't remember if Nectaris/MMadness was very text heavy...

The majority of the games I'm looking forward to enjoying again or for the first time are CD-based, so there's no worry about Ys, Exile, etc.

Beyond that, I'd assume I'm perfectly fine. I've played through a number of Japanese Saturn games, so even though my Japanese is weak, I can deal with it.

So... I'm leaning towards a PC Engine Duo-R or RX, I guess. Anyone know of a reliable place in the US selling them, or will I be more-than-likely looking at the nasty EMS shipping price ($50-70 for a $140 priced item?!?)?

Just to cover another possibility, how do you guys feel about the modded systems offered at Multimods? I do love Space Harrier, so it'd be a bummer to not be able to pick it up for a fifth platform... but, yeah, I've got the game for about five consoles. I think I'm good. :D

Not only is Military Madness/Nectaris totally playable in japanese, so is the CD sequal Neo Nectaris which just happens to include the first game on the same disc(for not much more than the price of the U.S. HuCard)!

If you look on eBay, it's probably cheaper overall to buy an R/RX from a japanese seller and you'd have enough selection to pick out a decent one.

I had my RX fully modded through Multimods and I couldn't live without it now. Seriously, when the lens died in it, I stopped playing several games I was working on because I didn't want to continue them until I had S-Video back.

The other bonus of buying there is that the system will be thoroughly tested.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 01:16:36 AM »
Ok, and finally, just to verify something I read online: a Duo-R or RX has all of the features of the various game cards built in, so I won't need this or that system card, correct? Aside from the Arcade card, that is.

takashirose

N00b Question
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:56 AM »
That is correct except that the Duo R/RX lacks earphone plugs like the Duo.  I personally like the design of the black Duo more.  It's bad ass, but that is just my taste.

I bought for $500 recently a sealed Turbo duo system with game bundle, instructions, magazine, and coupons!  The games were the main reason I bought it for $500.  Some people sell used ones on ebay for crazy prices, and since I didno't have a Duo and the only one I am looking for was a close to new one.  What bettter close to new one than a sealed one.  Because there in short supply where I got it, I am afraid that it is not a good idea to post it on the forums.  It's not on their website or anything like that.  I had to e-mail them.  I wasn't expecting them to have it.  I hope you get what YOU want.  :)
Let the old mix with the new.

Keranu

N00b Question
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 09:12:17 AM »
Good deal takashirose, assuming the games you got were the same ones included with the Duo pack in. It kind of sucks since that original pack in was $200 less than what you payed for :( , but still a good deal for today's standards.

TR0N

N00b Question
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 09:21:50 AM »
Duo-R+Reigon Mod+S-sideo&RBG mod=Pure magic there ya go.

You could get a regular Turbo Duo or a PCE Duo and hope it won't have the sound issue but that's a gamble in it self.

It's your choice realy, pick what ever you think is best for your needs.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

N00b Question
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »
Ok, and finally, just to verify something I read online: a Duo-R or RX has all of the features of the various game cards built in, so I won't need this or that system card, correct? Aside from the Arcade card, that is.

Yeah a Duo-R and RX all ready has the 3.0 Super System card bulit in.

So your set that way btw.. the arcade card is sold seperately.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec