Author Topic: RT2A on SGX  (Read 1871 times)

touko

RT2A on SGX
« on: March 18, 2016, 04:26:17 AM »
Hi all .

You can test the adaptation of my little bonus shmup present in the revival chase CD for the SGX .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xla03bhdcr0sof/Rt2A_SGX.sgx?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:15:24 PM by touko »

MNKyDeth

Re: RT2A on SGX
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 04:46:39 AM »
Downloaded, will try it out later today.

touko

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:53:52 AM »
Aww... Doesn't work in the emulator on my phone. Will have to try it on a computer later tonight.
Works fine on mednafen .

Did I mention how awesome it is that you make SGX homebrews?
Thanks  :wink:

EDIT: Raaah i forgot to reactivate the countdown sequence in this build  :shock:

The next build will fix the some persistant bugs present on true hardware .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:14:14 AM by touko »

elmer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:20:46 AM »
Aww... Doesn't work in the emulator on my phone. Will have to try it on a computer later tonight.
Works fine on mednafen .

FYI, it's not working for me, either, and I'm using Mednafen.

Dicer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:28:10 AM »
"WELCOME!"

works on real hardware , all those layers...

if you hit select to get back to the main menu that has gfx glitches but otherwise works.

Neat-o

touko

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 08:29:10 AM »
Have you activated the sgx suport on mednafen ?

@dicer:arf this was tested only on emulator, and of course it works fine,thanks for reporting that.

EDIT:@dicer, my bad, there is effectively a bug when returning to menu,it will be corrected with the next release .  8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:54:55 AM by touko »

elmer

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
Have you activated the sgx suport on mednafen ?

Whoops ... my bad!

Yes, it works, I just had to rename it to a ".sgx" instead of a ".pce".  :oops:

Nice!

touko

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
Yes but if you put pce.forcesgx 1 in your mednafen .cfg,it works even with a .pce .

elmer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »
Yes but if you put pce.forcesgx 1 in your mednafen .cfg,it works even with a .pce .

That's fine for me as a developer ... but a lot of folks don't just randomly edit mednafen.cfg.

And if they do that, then they'll be bitten by the titles that don't work on a SuperGrafx without disabling VDC2.

May I suggest that you just rename it to a ".sgx" so that Mednafen can automatically detect what it is rather than expecting people to know that they've got to edit mednafen.cfg in order for it to work?

touko

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 09:35:33 AM »
That's fine for me as a developer ... but a lot of folks don't just randomly edit mednafen.cfg.
Yes, and to be true, i forgot that only by changing extension,this is solving the problem   :P

May I suggest that you just rename it to a ".sgx" so that Mednafen can automatically detect what it is rather than expecting people to know that they've got to edit mednafen.cfg in order for it to work?
yes of course  :wink:

EDIT:link is updated with a .sgx .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:40:16 AM by touko »

MNKyDeth

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
I tested it on my Ted in my SuperGrafx. I use a framemiester XRGB-mini and the screen will go in and out like it loses the picture or like when a game changes resolution the framemiester has to re-sync itself.

I can watch the End of game screen without issue and the start screen. But the game it self I can kill about 3-4 enemies before the screen goes black then comes back on the end of game screen.

touko

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
I tested it on my Ted in my SuperGrafx. I use a framemiester XRGB-mini and the screen will go in and out like it loses the picture or like when a game changes resolution the framemiester has to re-sync itself.
Yes, it's because i switch to HIRES/LOWRES in vblank to speedup all dma transferts, but something is wrong with the true hardware(wrong with my code of course), i'll desactivate this switch in the next release  :wink:

I can watch the End of game screen without issue and the start screen. But the game it self I can kill about 3-4 enemies before the screen goes black then comes back on the end of game screen.
Strange, i tested again with my sgx, and i don't have this problem .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:55:09 AM by touko »

MNKyDeth

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 09:54:25 AM »
Well, it's the framemiester re-syncing. The screen goes black. I die, once I see the screen again it is on the end game screen. So I think it's the same issue for me.

Flappy bird works great :D

Also, is there a location we can peruse for all your projects? The link in your sig seems to be dead...

touko

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »
Also, is there a location we can peruse for all your projects? The link in your sig seems to be dead...
No,my blog is down, and except on youtube, i have no place for now .

Flappy bird works great :D
No DMA routine in vblank  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:58:54 AM by touko »

elmer

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »
Yes, it's because i switch to HIRES/LOWRES in vblank to speedup all dma transferts, but something is wrong with the true hardware(wrong with my code of course), i'll desactivate this switch in the next release  :wink:

It's a Friday, and nearly drinking-time, so I'm going to paraphrase the immortal Inigo Montoya once more ...

"I do not think that optimization does what you think it does."  :wink:

Just one brilliant-idea too far ... and every good programmer has made that mistake before!  :)