Author Topic: WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2  (Read 1964 times)

guyjin

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« on: September 07, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »
FINALLY got my duo working again. (had it plugged in to a bad socket on a power strip - had to run an extension cord across the room :shock: )

First game I played: Cosmic Fantasy 2. I haven't been able to play it since I got it.

And all I have to say is: WOW.

Scratch that, I won't be able to shut up about this game for a while :)
It's amazing what I was missing out on back in '91. Stupid SNES.  :(

The spoken dialog is a little stiff, but I can forgive that.

Also, playing with just Van is a tad tedious. But I'm sure that will change soon enough. (I'm not reading any FAQs, so don't give anything away!
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

T2KFreeker

Re: WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 01:43:50 PM »
Quote from: "guyjin"
FINALLY got my duo working again. (had it plugged in to a bad socket on a power strip - had to run an extension cord across the room :shock: )

First game I played: Cosmic Fantasy 2. I haven't been able to play it since I got it.

And all I have to say is: WOW.

Scratch that, I won't be able to shut up about this game for a while :)
It's amazing what I was missing out on back in '91. Stupid SNES.  :(

The spoken dialog is a little stiff, but I can forgive that.

Also, playing with just Van is a tad tedious. But I'm sure that will change soon enough. (I'm not reading any FAQs, so don't give anything away!

Yeah, almost any of the games ported to the Turbo by Working Designs is a masterpoiece and one of the reasons several of us were Turbo Fans back in the day and looked st the SNES and Genesis fans like they were on crack. 8)
END OF LINE.

Joe Redifer

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »
I played through a friend's copy of CF2 back when it came out.  I wish I had it myself.  I remember Van's voice because it is the same guy (Hiro) from Lunar 2 who keeps saying "Lucia.... Lucia...." over and over and over.  An RPG where the main protagonist isn't a mute.  Wow.  Just wow.

T2KFreeker

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 03:09:03 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
I played through a friend's copy of CF2 back when it came out.  I wish I had it myself.  I remember Van's voice because it is the same guy (Hiro) from Lunar 2 who keeps saying "Lucia.... Lucia...." over and over and over.  An RPG where the main protagonist isn't a mute.  Wow.  Just wow.

It was a Working Designs thing man! Yes it was! :twisted:
END OF LINE.

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 04:03:44 PM »
CF2 is a bit dull when it comes to the ingame graphics and soundtrack and the battles are pretty average, but what really shines is the amazing story, characters, and cinemas; way ahead of any other RPG at it's time. There are lots of fantastic story moments in the game and all of us who have beat the game know what they are and I'm not going to spoil anything ;) .

By the way, there isn't anything wrong with the songs in the soundtrack itself, in fact a couple are quite good, it's just that there are only like four total songs in the entire soundtrack.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

runinruder

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:11:21 PM »
Cosmic Fantasy 2 is an old favorite of mine.  The story and characters are unforgettable, the ending is one of the best ever, the music (though there isn't much of it) is cool and really atmospheric at times, and Babs is hot.  The battle system is the only thing that stinks (though I've always liked the way the enemies were drawn for some reason).

And SNES RPGs were terrible.  I'd much rather play CF2, Dragon Slayer, Emerald Dragon, Manji Maru, Kabuki Den, or Ziria than any of that Super Nintendo slop.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 04:15:39 PM »
I don't go as far as Runin by saying SNES games are slop because there are some I like, but CF2 offers a story that no SNES RPG can really match.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 05:35:28 PM »
Quote from: "runinruder"

And SNES RPGs were terrible. I'd much rather play CF2, Dragon Slayer, Emerald Dragon, Manji Maru, Kabuki Den, or Ziria than any of that Super Nintendo slop.

Well, that's a bit harsh. But other than CF2, are any of those availiable in english? (I actually have ziria, but it's in Japanese, so I never play)

runinruder

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 05:38:17 PM »
Dragon Slayer was released in the US.

ParanoiaDragon

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 05:43:27 PM »
CF2 is the first game to ever move me so much, that I actually cried.  That may sound wierd, but it's true.  I also get goose bumps when I hear certain songs. :P

GUTS

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 05:50:05 PM »
Chrono Trigger smashes Cosmic Fantasy 2 over it's mighty knee.

runinruder

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 05:57:42 PM »
There's nothing wrong with crying over a video game.  I cry during Cosmic Fantasy 2's touching conclusion.  I cry when the Ys Book I and 2 credits roll.  And I certainly cry when I get to the middle of a level in Deep Blue and the scary music starts blaring and millions of enemies suddenly appear.

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »
Can't say I have cried during a game, but I've got the goosebumps during moments like CF2 and the end credits of Ys Book I & II. When a game can do that to someone, that really shows how powerful it is.

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 12:13:49 AM »
I enjoyed CF2 immensely back in the day. The cinemas and all that...very nice. It also has OK load times. Not as quick as Manji Maru (I'm pretty sure nothing is) but much better than anything post-PS1.

Truely though, its a crap RPG. Absolutely terrible. The in-game graphics are sub-master system. The game play is the worst part though. All the shops sell items to protect you from certain kinds of elemental magic...but I'm pretty sure that no enemy in the game casts spells! Its really rare at least. The dungeons can be huge, boring, dirges. If you only have Van then you are a long long way from anywhere.

The game will always be special to me, but if it were a SNES game with no CD bonus, it would certainly be the worst RPG on that system. Even worse than 7th Saga. Not only does it suck rocks compared to Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, etc, it can't compare to other PCE titles like Manji Maru, Emerald Dragon, Kabuki Den, Startling Odyssey, or even stuff that actually was translated like Y's 1&2, or Dragon Slayer.

Its too bad that WD didn't stick with the Turbo for just a while longer. Subsequent Cosmic Fantasy games are *vastly* superior. So *so* much better. Another cool game for them to have done would have been Startling Odyssey II. That thing is a gem, and it has a fantastic ending.

guyjin

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 12:38:55 AM »
The in-game graphics are sub-master system.

You're insane.