Author Topic: WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2  (Read 1969 times)

nodtveidt

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 02:04:07 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Chrono Trigger

*yawn* I fell asleep after two minutes of that bore-fest.

malducci

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 04:23:22 AM »
Another cool game for them to have done would have been Startling Odyssey II. That thing is a gem, and it has a fantastic ending.

It's a decent game from what I've seen, but for '94 the production value seem a little low relative to other titles.

Chrono Triger was cool, but seriously over hiped. I've beat it twice. I like the first half of the game more than the second half.

pixeljunkie

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 05:23:22 AM »
CF2 is great. Chrono Trigger is overrated...but also superb. Chrono Cross is INCREDIBLE though.

I never finished Dragon Slayer....will someday.

Ys IV kills them all!

GUTS

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 07:17:37 AM »
I was just joking about Chrono Trigger smashing CF2, I really like CF2 actually.  BUT Chrono Trigger is still the best RPG I've ever played, I don't get how anyone could possibly not like it.  The characters are great (well except for Chrono of course), the story is interesting, the graphics are very nice, but mostly it's just a blast.  I've never played another RPG where fights and exploring were so much fun.  Going through the time periods is a blast, and the new game+ feature with the different endings was pure f*cking genius.

Plus how can you not like the double and triple techs?  Those were sweet, I've never played another RPG with such a unique battle system.  I loved trying all the combos of characters and figuring out which techs were the best.

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 09:32:40 AM »
I like Chrono Trigger, but the game can bore me, as nod posted, but not nearly as bad as some other games out there. I never really got into the battle system of the game either. It's cool and original and all, but it just seems "chunky" to me, something I don't feel comfortable using. Perhaps it's because the battles take longer to beat than a standard RPG? The graphics are beautiful though, especially when you go to that place in the sky and the music is pretty damn good as well. Maybe I should give the game another try, I made it to the end once but my saved got erased.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

malducci

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 11:26:25 AM »
I wish Chrono Trigger had more futuristic parts in the game - that's when the story hit a high point. Those were my favorite parts - that and the near distant past (were you find the toad guy). They were connected more with the present time of the game. The first time I played through it - back when it came out, I had a blast. The second time through on the emu many years later - wasn't as great as I remembered it. Nor was it much fun after 1/3 of the game. FFV and FFVI (US) were great and I've beaten both atleast 3 times. They hold up much better than CT.

Chrono Cross on PS1 was really fun, but I got stuck in the game - about half way through and lost interested when I realized that I had to start over again. Now a days, it's hard for me to play any 3D PS1 game. The graphics hurt my eyes :D With a few exceptions (FFIX), I'll take NES graphics over PS1 3D.

grahf

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 12:13:53 PM »
I only played an hour or so into CF2. It started of with a bang, but was very tedious from the first town, through the first dungeon and into the second town. I'll have to give it another go soon. I think i accidentally erased my save, and didnt feel like starting over at the time.

About Chrono Trigger, thats a phenominal game. From the floating city of Zeal, to the whole court room trial, it was great all the way. What really makes it great is the multiple endings (14 i think). You really dont start having fun until you get the New Game+.

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »
Can anyone confirm, or deny a purpose to the protection items in CF2? I remember there being one that protects from fire, poison, etc, and yet I was never poisoned, or had a fire spell (or any other spell) cast on me once in the entire game. I may have been poisoned, not sure.

I've been wondering about this for ages. Is it a bug that WD introduced, or is the game that broke? Because...that's pretty broke. I mean, these things are in all the shops, and they seem to have no frikken use whatsoever...like that dude that sells insurence in Animal Crossing.

nodtveidt

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
Can anyone confirm, or deny a purpose to the protection items in CF2? I remember there being one that protects from fire, poison, etc, and yet I was never poisoned, or had a fire spell (or any other spell) cast on me once in the entire game. I may have been poisoned, not sure.

I've been wondering about this for ages. Is it a bug that WD introduced, or is the game that broke? Because...that's pretty broke. I mean, these things are in all the shops, and they seem to have no frikken use whatsoever...like that dude that sells insurence in Animal Crossing.

According to Don Shirley, the protection items serve no purpose in the USA version of CF2, as all enemy magics were removed from the game by WD to ease the difficulty level. So now their only purpose is to serve as cashflow enhancers...you find one, you sell it for pure profit. :D It's not a bug per se, but it was intentional. It seems some other things broke in the process though.

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »
That...is an incredibly stupid idea, and a bad localization choice...even by WD standards.

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 06:36:52 PM »
Quote from: "grahf"
I only played an hour or so into CF2. It started of with a bang, but was very tedious from the first town, through the first dungeon and into the second town. I'll have to give it another go soon. I think i accidentally erased my save, and didnt feel like starting over at the time.

That's pretty much exactly how I thought of the game when I first played it. However during a certain spot in the game that isn't too, too far off from where you are, the interest level will practically explode and the game only gets better from there on :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

PC Gaijin

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 10:34:10 AM »
I haven't played CF2 since it came out but...I remember being not terribly impressed by it. The cinemas and voice were nice, but the battle system was very, very slow. All those little loads (like spooling attack sounds off the CD) didn't help either.

One thing I do remember is getting stuck at one point in the game and writing a letter to Working Designs about it. Yeah, I used to do that in the old days because lots of devs/pubs actually answered their mail back then. :) Anyway, someone from WD called me up and told me how to get past the part I was stuck at. That built up some goodwill between me and WD, but that evaporated years later when I had the audacity to ask Vic Ireland about the translation of some parts of Alundra and he blasted me for it in a very nasty email. :lol:

nodtveidt

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 11:16:05 AM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
All those little loads (like spooling attack sounds off the CD) didn't help either.

No attack sounds were loaded from the CD during runtime...obviously this would have disrupted the audio. :P But the other loads, yes, they were annoying but necessary due to the tiny amount of memory the game had to work with. Had this been a super cdrom,  that all would have been eliminated, as there would have been plenty of memory to work with...but alas...

FM-77

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2006, 11:28:54 AM »
I have never really played Cosmic Fantasy 2. I've always wanted to, though ( I remember seeing screenshots of it way, WAY back). However, all these small things that I keep hearing about keeps me away from the game. I hate a slow RPG. I hate random encounter and I hate long, boring dungeons.

Too bad. The story seems interesting.

About Chrono Trigger: I like the game but I never finished it because I got tired of it. I loved it up until then, though. Definitely one of the better RPGs I've played. Square games tend to get repeditive and boring after a while (like 15-20 hours or so), this is the case with every Square game I have ever played.

I also disagree with the one who said SNES RPGs are crap. Sure, there are many bad RPGs for it, since there are so many (like a hundred, at least!), but there are some really awesome RPGs and I dare say SNES is the best RPG system to this day. Although Ys IV PCE beats them all (DESPITE the awful level grinding that game requires). :)

nodtveidt

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2006, 02:45:16 PM »
I owned an SNES for its RPGs, since the hardware was too crippled to handle much else properly. :D The PCE is the shooter console, plain and simple, not the RPG console.

Seldane: there are a few parts in CF2 that are quite long-feeling but most of the game moves at a pretty decent pace. A lot of people blow it out of proportion simply because the game kicks their ass and they get all pissy. :D