Author Topic: WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2  (Read 1966 times)

nodtveidt

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2006, 01:37:29 PM »
I don't know if it could be called one of the greatest games in history, but it was definately a lot of fun and had high replayability, mainly because it was interesting (despite the sucky storyline) and wasn't too short and wasn't too long.

Emerald Rocker

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2006, 01:51:12 PM »
I thought Zelda 3 was considered one of the best games because it happened to be a top-selling game on the top-selling system of the time.  Luck, man, luck!

Anyways.  Runinruder's defense of Basted sounded pretty tongue-in-cheek to me, so it's silly to get so worked up about it... although I agree that Basted is actually very fun and playable, as far as "bad" games go.

Compare that to stuff like Brainlord (SNES) and Lagoon (SNES), which aren't fun at all.  If you step outside of RPGs, then there's Mo Hawk and Headphone Jack (SNES), which is far worse than Turbo/PCE duds like Keith Courage and Legion.

For me, the SNES was a system of disappointments.  Zelda 3 was OK, but I'd say Ys has more replay value.  How can I say that?  Easy -- I've actually replayed Ys.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Joe Redifer

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
Hell I've played through both Shenmue 1 and 2 more times each than I've played through Zelda 3.  I still like Zelda 3, though.

runinruder

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
Ironically, I enjoyed Basted enough to play through it twice, while I've guided drunken, oafish Link through the junkyard that is Zelda III only once.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2006, 02:18:24 PM »
I actually like Link's Awakening more than Link to the Past. Wind Waker is my favorite though.

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2006, 02:19:59 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
The key issue here is that you'll never be able to convince anyone otherwise...console loyalty is a religion in and of itself and like all religions, you cannot convince someone else that your idea is better than theirs.

Ah, so its exactly like patriotism then. I was giving people too much credit. My mistake.

esteban

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »
Quote from: "runinruder"
Basted was ahead of its time.

It had one town and, essentially, one maze (only the one leading to the last boss is really any kind of "dungeon").  Yet, it had a heavy focus on plot and cinematics.  The cinemas were actually exceptional (the ones later in the game, that is--the ones early on were merely solid for the most part).  

In this respect, it was a parody of the story-heavy, gameplay-light RPGs that dominate the marketplace today--and, of course, it was released before modern RPGs were EVEN MADE.

Thanks to such forethought on behalf of Basted's designers, we can confidently say that the work they put in was worthwhile.  It served a purpose in the annals of gaming history.  It's something unique: a parody of what was yet to come.  

(Plus, the story is actually rather nice.)

Stuff like Zelda III, on the other hand, served no purpose and has no reason to still exist in this universe.
Zig beat me to the punch, but he didn't praise your post like I thought he would. Runin, this is one of the most creative posts I've read in a long time. Friggin' brilliant. It brought a tear to my eye... no joke. :)
  |    | 

Emerald Rocker

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2006, 03:33:21 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
The key issue here is that you'll never be able to convince anyone otherwise...console loyalty is a religion in and of itself and like all religions, you cannot convince someone else that your idea is better than theirs.

Ah, so its exactly like patriotism then. I was giving people too much credit. My mistake.

Don't worry SignOfZeta, there's no reason to renounce your faith in people just quite yet.  Opinions *can* be changed with the right words, with the right evidence, and with a little bit of first-hand exposure to something they've never played.  The problem here is that you're trying to teach people that the SNES is a good system, which is flatly incorrect.

Hopefully, with time, I will be able to cure you of your SNES patriotism.

grahf

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
I think ive had an epiphany. All this time, ive been enjoying games on many different systems. It turns out it was all a bit fat lie. From this point on, i will like one, and ONLY one system. Everything else will be junk. SNES? too many graphic effects. Xbox? PS1&2? The disks are too big. Gamecube? The disks read backwards, and that defies the theory of relativity. Genesis? it had crappy controller ports. And all the rest. Junk.

There can be only one!
Phillips CD-i.

(ps, im being sarcastic. Cant we all just get along?  :( )

GUTS

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2006, 03:41:51 PM »
Dude I've played ever SNES game ever released in the US, and on actual cartridges to boot.  You know how many I care to replay?  About 10.  You know how many Genesis and Duo games I still like to play?  A f*cking shitload more than that.  So yeah, the SNES has a FEW good games.

Emerald Rocker

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »
GUTS has also played a TON of import SNES games.  I know this because he traded them all to me, since he didn't want that crap anymore.

I kind of like Umihara Kawase, though.

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2006, 04:28:50 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Dude I've played ever SNES game ever released in the US, and on actual cartridges to boot.  You know how many I care to replay?  About 10.  You know how many Genesis and Duo games I still like to play?  A f*cking shitload more than that.  So yeah, the SNES has a FEW good games.

Wait, Genesis? OK, I get it, you're just f*cking with me now. You really had me going there for a minute. Heh he, Genesis. Yeah, good one.

I'm a huge Sega fan, but not because MK1 had fatalities in it. The Genesis was easily the worst Sega system.

PC Gaijin

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2006, 04:32:16 PM »
I had to double-check the opening post again to remember what this thread was about. Sheesh, Aaron should just open a console advocacy forum so you guys can keep this sort of thing centralized.

malducci

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2006, 04:39:57 PM »
I like CF2.

nodtveidt

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2006, 05:03:48 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
I'm a huge Sega fan, but not because MK1 had fatalities in it. The Genesis was easily the worst Sega system.

Hrm...I always figured the Genesis to be the BEST Sega system since it got the most software support during the life cycle of ANY Sega console. The Saturn had a few games I loved (most notably, Dark Savior) and of course, the SMS with the original Phantasy Star is just plain classic, but the Genesis really, IMO, had the largest selection of titles I liked (the Sonic series, PSIV, a great Strider port, and even some oldies like Jewel Master and Columns). But again, it's all a matter of taste.