Author Topic: WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2  (Read 1965 times)

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2006, 05:22:09 PM »
Wow, this thread is almost spawning in as many directions as the PCE vs Genesis vs SNES thread. I'll do what I always do in threads like this, USE MY NUMBER TOPIC SYSTEM!

1. ) Runin, outstanding Basted defense.

2. ) I like a Link to the Past and don't consider it trash like Nick Evil and the gang do, but it's definitely not my favorite game in the series and I haven't really beat it more than once - more like once and a half and some quick boot ups. The variety of items and their uses in dungeons were enough to entertain me in the game.

3. ) I agree with grahf, we should stick with the one and only CD-i.

4. ) I think SNES is loaded with just as many fun games as the Turbo and Genesis, but I still give the edge to Turbo and Genesis anyday.

5. ) Genesis is Sega's worst system? :lol: No need to further comment.

6. ) I agree with malducci, I like CF2.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2006, 07:17:29 PM »
Yeah the "Genesis is the worst Sega system" comment is easily the most insane thing said in this entire thread, and that includes the parts where somebody compared not liking the snes to patriotism and said Zelda III was a masterpiece.

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2006, 10:37:54 PM »
And don't forget the Chrono Trigger praising part of this thread, that was pretty insane too.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2006, 12:58:31 AM »
Let me ask this to everybody: What's your favorite system?

To the people who says Mega Drive and/or SNES sucks, and then says PCE/TG is the best system ever: a big  :roll:  for you.

Also: play Basted everybody! Laughter/heart attacks for everyone!

nodtveidt

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2006, 06:32:38 AM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
To the people who says Mega Drive and/or SNES sucks, and then says PCE/TG is the best system ever: a big  :roll:  for you.

Hey Captain Obvious...you're on a PCE fan forum. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

FM-77

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2006, 06:58:07 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Hey Captain Obvious...you're on a PCE fan forum. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah but my point is that the 16-bit war is over. Totally over. And people are still fighting.  :roll:

esteban

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2006, 08:05:04 AM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
Yeah but my point is that the 16-bit war is over. Totally over. And people are still fighting.  :roll:
Seldane is right about this. We have been resurrecting the "console wars" of yore.

It is fun, as long as nobody takes it too seriously. :)
  |    | 

Keranu

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2006, 11:45:54 AM »
16-bit wars are great. By the way, Seldane, I don't think there is a PCE fan here that says both Genesis and SNES suck. Maybe one of the two but never both. And if there, shame on them because I find it hard to be a PCE fan without being a Genesis or a SNES fan. One of the reasons why I love PCE so much is because to me it got the best from both worlds of the Genesis and SNES, both hardware and software-wise. Example; speed from Genesis, colors from SNES; action games from Genesis, RPGs from SNES :) .

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2006, 01:20:21 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
I'm a huge Sega fan, but not because MK1 had fatalities in it. The Genesis was easily the worst Sega system.

Hrm...I always figured the Genesis to be the BEST Sega system since it got the most software support during the life cycle of ANY Sega console. The Saturn had a few games I loved (most notably, Dark Savior) and of course, the SMS with the original Phantasy Star is just plain classic, but the Genesis really, IMO, had the largest selection of titles I liked (the Sonic series, PSIV, a great Strider port, and even some oldies like Jewel Master and Columns). But again, it's all a matter of taste.

Well, if I owned stock in Sega in 1992, then I'd say I liked the Genesis the best because that's back when Sega actually made money. It was Sega's most popular machine in the US, therefore I can see the console warriors getting behind it. Its kind of like the WWII for patriots.

Even the worst Sega system is still a nice system, but I feel that it can't compare to the Saturn, or DC for many reasons.

From a hardware perspective, just chips and that sort of thing, the Mega Drive was weak sauce compared to its counterparts; the PCE, and the SuFami. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum the MD hardware didn't really excell at anything. It was resonably fast, so it did much better with shooters than the SuFami, but ultimatly the PCE is a better shooter system.

From a software perspective things are even worse. As we know, most software is crap so that leaves it up the small percentage of good stuff to define the machine. I really like Sonic 1, and 2, Phansaty Star IV, and Gunstar Heroes. I recently had a chance to get an X'Eye for a very good price, but I turned it down because I really don't know what I would play on it. Nobody wants to play garbage sports games from EA now that they are 10 years old, least of all me since I hate sports games. The same goes for movie licensed titles, or stuff based on toys and comic books. Anything that is multi-playform is almost always better on SNES (Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters,  Street Fighter II, etc.

The Saturn gave us Guardian Heroes, Radient Silvergun, Sakura Wars, Bomberman SS, Fighters Megamix, VF2, Death Tank Zwei, great shooters...just amazing (Parodius, Salamander, DoDonpatchi, Batsugun, on and on and on), three Panzer Dragoon games, and a metric shitload of amazingly great ports of Capcom, and SNK fighters.

The DC gave us two more Sakura Wars games (part 3 is the best) more shooters, more fighters, Shenmue 2, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, and Rez. Mother f*cking *REZ*, man.

I don't recall the MD doing anything like that. Not even close.

Joe Redifer

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »
I love all Sega systems as well, but the DC is my least favorite system from the company.  Granted there were some freakin' awesome games on the system (REZ doesn't really toot my horn, but whatever), but I could not stand the controller and how loud the system was when the laser moved.  At least I could use the Total Control 3 and plug in a Saturn controller for the fighting games, though.  The VMU pisses me off and I hate hearing it whine whenever I power up the console, and I am not about to replace the batteries in the thing.

malducci

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2006, 01:51:45 PM »
SignOfZeta:

You just basically admitted that you like the Genesis the least of the Sega systems (something along the lines of "sucks") even though it was extremely successful and popular in the US in it's run in the 16bit wars, but you blast someone/anyone else from thinking the SNES sucks? Believe it or not, but a person's opinion that a system "sucks" might not even be relative to it's success, popularity, or even it technical prowness.

Whats up with the "patriot" analogies?  I, myself, prefer car analogies :D

On another note: I feel the complete opposite of Seldane. I just don't get really excited about playing SNES anymore or about seeing a new game I hadn't known before on the system. Atleast not in the way I do for PCE and SuperCD (MegaCD too). I still occasionally use my SNES and SNES emus. Maybe I'm just burnt out on SNES.  

16bit wars are geat, though! I remember when EGM posted specs between all three system. Genesis was listed as have the ability to do polygons  :lol:   That was classic. And it was so obvious the editor was biased in favor of Genesis over Snes.  Then again, EGM always was.

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2006, 04:00:48 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
I love all Sega systems as well, but the DC is my least favorite system from the company.  Granted there were some freakin' awesome games on the system (REZ doesn't really toot my horn, but whatever), but I could not stand the controller and how loud the system was when the laser moved.  At least I could use the Total Control 3 and plug in a Saturn controller for the fighting games, though.  The VMU pisses me off and I hate hearing it whine whenever I power up the console, and I am not about to replace the batteries in the thing.

Yeah, I hate the DC pad. Its very very very badly designed. It sucks for fighters, and it cramps my hands terribly. Because of thise I very rarely use it. Usually I use a Saturn Vitura Stick Pro, or a regular Saturn pad. Only games that require analog sticks, or the VMU slot actually get me to plug the standard pad in. All racing games are played with the Thrustmaster wheel.

To me though a "system" is identified by the software, and internals and during the DCs short lifespan its software totally trounced the so-called competition. I mean, seriously, compare the DC with the last year of PS1, and the first year of PS2. Its a clear victory for Sega, and this was never the case with other Sega systems. Shit, the DC only had two real years of serious support. The PS2 didn't even get a good game until it was out for two years. All those great DC games came out in an amazingly short period of time. It could have been even better obviously if VF4 and Panzer Dragoon Orta weren't hijacked for other machines, and Shenmue wasn't left without a home. What a waste...

...but my favorite is still the Saturn :)

SignOfZeta

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »
Quote from: "malducci"

Whats up with the "patriot" analogies?  I, myself, prefer car analogies :D

Its simple. A patriot is someone who thinks the country he lives is the best in the world simply because he lives in it. It sounds very egotistical at first, but really its just ignorance. He doesn't know what else is on offer. The same thing is true of people who only have one game machine for whatever reason (usually economic). They bought a Genesis, got it for Xmas, found it in a pawn shop for $5, whatever so they think its the best when really they just don't know what else is out there.

I was lucky/irresponsible/old enough to have bought all three major 16-bit systems during their original lifespan. My impression at the time is that the SNES had the best big-budget mainstream stuff (Tetris Attack, FFVI, Super Street Fighter II, Yoshi's Island) the PCE had the most original and artistic games (Photo Boy, Chouainiki, Momotaro) and the Genesis...didn't really have the most, or best of anything.

malducci

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2006, 04:23:44 PM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
Its simple. A patriot is someone who thinks the country he lives is the best in the....

No, I meant: what's up with the repeative use of. Implying that it might be one your favorite analogies. Like I said, mine is car analogies :D

GUTS

WOW - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2006, 09:17:50 PM »
He keeps using it because it makes him feel superior to everyone else and he thinks that anybody who disagrees with him about the SNES being the best system does it purely out of ignorance and narrow-mindedness.  It hasn't occured to him yet that he's the only one in this debate displaying those qualities.