Author Topic: No Mod RGB Options for Turbo Grafx 16  (Read 565 times)

Report2Marty

No Mod RGB Options for Turbo Grafx 16
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »
Just trade some old toys for a turbografx 16 and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good no mod rgb alternative, I would be totally grateful!

Thanks everyone!

mickcris

Re: No Mod RGB Options for Turbo Grafx 16
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »
the no mod options use the expansion port so you lose cd rom function.  db elcectronics sells one of those if you are still interested in that.

crazydean

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »
This is the only one I know of:

http://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/

I didn't even realize they released it yet, and it's already out of stock. You're better off going with a mod.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

CGQuarterly

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »
It says there are 4 in stock...

turbokon

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:17:07 AM »
We actually did a kickstarter last year for a device that plugs to the expansion bus allowing for component output.  Why Component you ask?  Because most hdtv don't natively take rgb and ours wouldn't need a separate rgb to component transcoder.  Anyway long story short, kickstarter didn't gain enough support and we had put this project on an indefinite hold.  I have a few protos laying around and great for testing and working on systems with my hdtv set.

Thinking back we should have included rgb output as well. 
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

deubeul

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
You could also modify a Tennokoe II to output RGB, right?

mickcris

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »
You could also modify a Tennokoe II to output RGB, right?

You can.

Report2Marty

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
These are all awesome options!  Thank you so much!  As far as internal mods go, I'm pretty new to the practice..  My experience only goes as far as fixing cold solder points on a master system controller port, and the rgb amp mod for the N64..  Do you feel that this enough experience to perform the internal mod?

Turbokon, that project looks solid!  I'd love to use your photo type in the video game class I'm teaching.  It would be much easier to hook up the tg16 to the lcd's via composite.  How much are you charging for your protos?

CGQuarterly

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:23 PM »
These are all awesome options!  Thank you so much!  As far as internal mods go, I'm pretty new to the practice..  My experience only goes as far as fixing cold solder points on a master system controller port, and the rgb amp mod for the N64..  Do you feel that this enough experience to perform the internal mod?

Turbokon, that project looks solid!  I'd love to use your photo type in the video game class I'm teaching.  It would be much easier to hook up the tg16 to the lcd's via composite.  How much are you charging for your protos?

If you can RGB mod an N64, then you can take a stab at modding a TG16.  The only difference really is that you have to drill a hole in the case and mount some kind of AV output jack.

mickcris

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »
You can also remove the RF modulator and install a mini din port where it was. This way no holes need drilled.

Report2Marty

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »
Sounds good!  Guess I can give it a shot!  Mickcris, do you have any kits available for the rgb mod?

mickcris

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »
Sounds good!  Guess I can give it a shot!  Mickcris, do you have any kits available for the rgb mod?

i do. sent you a pm

wildfruit

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
A member on here makes scart cables that run out from the ext port fidde_se

turbokon

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 01:35:54 AM »

Thanks I haven't thought about selling my protos.   This is somethings we might look into later as possibly providing these as kits in the future but I don't know.  We're currently focusing on another project at the moment.  You might check with braap.  We worked on this together.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Report2Marty

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 07:22:30 AM »
A member on here makes scart cables that run out from the ext port fidde_se

Thanks, wildfruit!