Author Topic: CD Rom2 issue. Reads audio CDs but not game CDs.  (Read 615 times)

eugenepeabody

CD Rom2 issue. Reads audio CDs but not game CDs.
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
Hello all,

I am hoping someone here can help direct me in the right direction with my issue.  I've been doing a lot of reading, but am not very mechanically inclined so would love to hear suggestions.

My setup is a turbografx 16 with turbografx 16 dock and Pc engine Cdrom2.  I use the PC Henshin rev E with Japanese Super system card 3.0.

I recently bought the CdRom2 and it has a new working gear and laser.  It was tested before getting to me and was working well.

My problem is that it will play an audio CD when plugged directly into the wall, but when plugged in to the turbografx dock, it will power on, spin, make noise like it's going to load but then the Super System screen does not move past "Wait a moment".
When I try an audio CD when connected to the dock, sometimes it will advance to the buttons menu, but not play the music and sometimes it just stays at "Wait a moment."

Currently why I think it's not working is because of my power supply.  It's 9V 1.5a which to my understanding is not enough volts. 

Any other thoughts?  Bad system card?

Thanks

rxmage

Re: CD Rom2 issue. Reads audio CDs but not game CDs.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
Not enough amps either.  The dock is related for 1530mA, and it needs every bit of it.  Watch your screen as the CD drive seeks across the disk, you will notice the screen dim.  Finding a decent 12v adapter with proper amperage isn't the easiest task.  Stay away from the cheap adapters. I had a 12v 2A adapter that would "work", but injected so much noise in my video it was too distracting to play.  I finally used an adapter for an older external drive rated at 12v 3A.  This was the perfect solution.   If the dock and CD player don't get the required volts and amperage, you will experience disks that won't load or have extremely long load times. 
Good luck
Chad

eugenepeabody

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I got a 12v 2.5a ac adapter today.  Now audio cds play fine through the dock right on the tv, but still the game won't play.  After "Wait a moment" the screen goes black and nothing happens even though the game disc is playing.

The game was just one the seller of the cd rom through in for free, so maybe it's the game disc.  I have Prince of Persia coming tomorrow so will test that out and hope it works.

rxmage

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »
Hopefully it is just the one bad disc. I guess you will know when you get the other one in.   You might also try burning some games and see if those work.  Given that the drive was known working before you received it, I would have thought your issues were just power related.  Interesting that the audio CDs work fine. 
I hope things work out and you're playing Prince of Persia soon!

Chad

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 06:21:47 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I got a 12v 2.5a ac adapter today.  Now audio cds play fine through the dock right on the tv, but still the game won't play.  After "Wait a moment" the screen goes black and nothing happens even though the game disc is playing.

The game was just one the seller of the cd rom through in for free, so maybe it's the game disc.  I have Prince of Persia coming tomorrow so will test that out and hope it works.

This might be an issue with the CD system card you have or possibly an issue with the henshin converter. Maybe mail them both off to someone for testing to see if they have the same problem? I can test them if you like.

I also have a spare 2.0 US card you could borrow to try yourself without the converter if you are willing to cover the shipping both ways to you and back.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:22:37 PM by Keith Courage »

Xenogears

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
It also might be an Issue by not correctly adjusted VR 101 - 105. For Basic Troubleshooting, encloed please find a picture of the usual position for the VR (Variable Resistor)

http://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Attachment/52617-CD-Rom%C2%B2-jpg/

I made this snapshot for a german Console Forum and could not upload it here, as "the Upload-Folder is full"...?!?

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »
have you tried reseating the TG16 and CDR2?

eugenepeabody

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »
Thanks for the additional replies.

Prince of Persia will start up, show the title screen perfectly, but then during gameplay the graphics are are wonky and you can't make out much of anything.  I don't really understand what is going on.

I'm not electronically savvy, but I'll do some reading on what Xenogears and thesteve are suggesting.

I'll also try to pick up a Pc Engine hucard soon so I can test the Pc Henshin.  I'm hoping the issue is a bad system card.

thesteve

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
well if some games run with errors it could be system card or base ram
dirty connections are always an option

Xenogears

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 07:28:47 PM »
It also could be bad caps near the Ram inside the IFU
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:03:22 AM by Xenogears »

eugenepeabody

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 07:19:18 AM »
Life got in the way and I haven't been able to do anything with my Turbografx in the last couple of weeks. This weekend I'm going to sit down and try some of the suggestions in this thread which I really appreciate.
If nothing works I may take you up on your offer Keith to try out my Henshin and system card.