Author Topic: Turbo duo won't spin  (Read 632 times)

Drtdiver83

Turbo duo won't spin
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »
I recently picked up a turbo duo that was completely dead. Did a complete recap, replaced both 7805, dropped in a new hop-m3, replaced both ba6209a chips. The system now works great for reading cards but the disk will not spin up. The laser moves and does it focus thing but sits for a moment and just says set disk. Tried turning the pots to get the disk spinning but no joy. The motor works. I pulled it and tested it. Any input would be great thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Courage

Re: Turbo duo won't spin
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:31:59 AM »
this problem could be a couple different things.

kind of puzzling that if you hit run on the controller and the CD lens moves that a CD will not spin up? maybe the new CD lens you got is bad? it could still be that one or more of the potentiometers are off. It can be very difficult to get them correct if somebody had already moved them out of place before you received the system.

Drtdiver83

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:55:40 AM »
I got the unit for basically nothing. After opening it up someone had attempted recap but only did a few random caps. After I tore into it a bit I noticed some of the pads were lifted and or missing. So I believe I fixed those that were damaged. I then did a complete recap. And got the unit to power up and play hucards. But no joy on playing CDs. I'm worried that some of the other chips are bad because I tried adjusting the two pots that make the disk spin don't do anything.

wilykat

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
IIRC the disc won't spin if the laser doesn't pick up anything reflective at all so it is possible the laser is not able to detect anything. You did replace the assembly so it's possible pot adjustment is needed.

Drtdiver83

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »
Would the disk still spin if the laser doesn't see anything by turning pots 102 and 104?

blueraven

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
Something could just be stuck. Does the assembly look dirty or heavily-smoked-on? I had a unit that arrived from Japan packed with empty Mild Seven cigarette cartons (no joke) and smelled like a roadhouse ashtray. I had to clean it with alcohol, and gently spin it manually by hand while hitting the run button to free the spindle. I cleaned off the tar and re-lubed the assembly with white lithium grease.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Drtdiver83

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 10:46:03 PM »
Everything is clean and rotates freely the laser moves along the rails to the home position as it should.

Xenogears

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
Please first do a complete Recap. The Eletrolytic Liquid will be leaked out of serveral SMD Caps, even if you do not see it - it´s there. Clean the Board carefully and recap. Also check for broken VIA. This is much easer, it the caps are not installed yet. Next, even if the Laser shows a red spot, prepare to get a new HOP-M3 if POT-Adjusting after Recap does not help out. And please start testing with an original Audio-Disk for the first steps.

Drtdiver83

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
I have already done a complete recap. I'm now waiting for a second new hop-m3.

blueraven

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »
That's possible. I've had 1 "new" unit that was DOA.

Good luck with the second laser replacement, and keep us updated.

Everything Xenogears said is spot-on.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Drtdiver83

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »
Put in a new laser still no spinning. The laser does its focus adjust then just says please set disk

wilykat

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
Maybe the motor driver IC is bad or the motor itself is bad?

Drtdiver83

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
I replaced both motor drivers. I have a spare motor I can try. The motor works fine when I bench tested it. I'm about to give up on this thing but it's becoming a sick obsession that I have to get working or it's going to continue to bother me. I may be in the market for a new one or just the guts that work since the shell I have is in pretty good shape.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 04:15:32 AM »
If you give up on it, send it to steve for his wizardry.  If it's fixable at all, he'll get 'er running.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

that1crzywhtguy

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »
Sorry to necropost... I have almost the same problem. I'm wondering if this was resolved.