Author Topic: A/V composite cables (retrogamingcables)  (Read 351 times)

MNKyDeth

A/V composite cables (retrogamingcables)
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:52:05 AM »
Ok, so I have been out for about the past month, got my wisdom teeth pulled....

But, I bought 5 cables the composite A/V cable here.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pc-engine/pc-engine-pce-duo-turbografx-16-nec-core-grafx-composite-video-av-cable

I previously did not have any issues with there cables as I was only buying the composite cables as I had previously changed to getting the RGB cables from Mickcris.

Well, the last batch I ordered before getting my teeth pulled and just now testing them I found that none of them supply a good sync signal. The video scrolls from side to side. Testing the cables shows proper continuity.

Only the din 5 end of the cable is removable for inspection. The RCA ends are moulded and I cannot see a safe way to inspect the internal wires on them.

Basically I am asking that if anyone has bought these cables and knows what it wrong with them and how to fix them let me know.

From what I can tell, they should be good, maybe it's just very cheap wire inside them or something, but it makes no sense to me why the sync signal isn't working. My original TurboDuo composite cable works just fine on the consoles I am trying to get composite cables for.

wilykat

Re: A/V composite cables (retrogamingcables)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:54:24 AM »
Did you test them on other consoles? Maybe your console has a bad output?

MNKyDeth

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 05:25:23 AM »
Tested on 5 different consoles. 5 different cables.

A TurboDuo, SuperGrafx and 3 other PCE Duo's.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:16:10 AM »
If you have a Doujindance RGB modded systems(or one that uses the same design), are you in RGB or comp video mode? As for "sync"...it's composite, all-in-one cable...sounds like your monitor is having issues.

My original TurboDuo composite cable works just fine on the consoles I am trying to get composite cables for.

Opps...then I have no idea then. The fact that you have some picture, "video scrolls from side to side" as you said is odd. Technically the wire could be too weak to carry the POWAH of the AWESOME that is Obey.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:18:12 AM by majors »
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

wildfruit

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:47:08 AM »
Have the consoles been modded since the last time you used composite output successfully?

csgx1

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 06:51:15 AM »
I have no experience with retrogamingcables, but I have a generic aftermarket (don't know where it came from) composite cable that rolls horizontally.  Fidgeting with the din plug sometimes stops the rolling.   I tested the cable on other systems with the same results. 

I got the cable years ago when I bought my system.  The seller told me that the a/v port was loose and needed reflowing.  I tried an OEM cable and it worked perfectly so it ended up being the aftermarket cable and not the port. 

Cable plugs in snug but seems to have a connection problem at the din plug.  I never investigated any further to pinpoint the specific problem with that cable.  Hope you get your cable problem sorted.

MNKyDeth

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:12:24 AM »
I guess, I  needed to supply more info.

I have bought several consoles for repair. They are now repaired and modded with RGB amps and region chips. They work perfect with the RGB scart cables and original TurboDuo composite cable. It's only the cables from retrogamingcables that don't give me a solid picture.

The previous cables I have had were fine from them but this last batch of 5 cables I bought don't work in any of the systems. I may look for some other solutions, other cables if anyone knows of any composite cables that work with these systems let me know.

Since I get my RGB euro scart cables from Mickcris now I just need to find some good composite cables as I like to include both with systems I sell. Mostly because I like to keep the options open for people to connect their systems.

I mean.. I have sold nearly 20-30 consoles since December of 2015 and never had a problem with the cables. I usually don't post them here as KC and others sell here and would rather not step on their feet. They can prolly do a better job anyways overall as I do this in my spare time, a couple hours per week as a hobby.

But anyways, if I can find a different aftermarket cable that works that would be great as well.

I use random mod chips currently as I have both amps from Mickcris and Turbokon and the V2 region mod chips from turbokon. I have the component chip from Turbokon but I don't mod those normally, it's just in my personal SuperGrafx and mickcris's amp in the super cd-rom 2 attachment. It's how I did the RGB, compnent, composite comparison and I had Turbokons amp in another system so I could compare them all.

Getting way off subject here so.... yeah, I need some good cables. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:16:43 AM by MNKyDeth »

wildfruit

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Ah I see. Well, force all your buyers to use RGB. It's for their own good! ;)

mickcris

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
my guess would be they screwed up the ground on the cable.  ohm it out and make sure ground is only going to pin 2 and possibly the outer shield on the din side. also that the ground is going from the din side to the outer shields on the rca jacks.

these aren't the best cables but work fine and are cheap.  they require a slight mod. the only thing that could be an issue is the outer din jack isnt grounded.  i had one console it showed a problem with when i used a cheap power supply but the cable was fine with the original supply.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20351.0

game doctor also sells ones similar to what you were buying
http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=965

Edit:
I missed where you said they had proper continuity.  But I still think they have a ground issue.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:58:19 AM by mickcris »

MNKyDeth

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 03:15:51 PM »
my guess would be they screwed up the ground on the cable.  ohm it out and make sure ground is only going to pin 2 and possibly the outer shield on the din side. also that the ground is going from the din side to the outer shields on the rca jacks.

these aren't the best cables but work fine and are cheap.  they require a slight mod. the only thing that could be an issue is the outer din jack isnt grounded.  i had one console it showed a problem with when i used a cheap power supply but the cable was fine with the original supply.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20351.0

game doctor also sells ones similar to what you were buying
http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=965

Edit:
I missed where you said they had proper continuity.  But I still think they have a ground issue.

I just want to start by saying thanks to everyone who replied to this post. But Mickcris got me thinking of the ground wire. These cables are grounded on pin 3 as they should be. So I made sure there were good contacts. I applied some flux and added more solder to them. Still a no go. But...

The ground on the system also touches the metal on the din 5 housing ring (shell) whatever you call it. So I soldered a wire from pin 3 to the outer metal shell on the din 5 connector on the cable and well... IT WORKS!!!

A fully working composite picture with one of these cables. So, anyone that buys the composite cables from retrogamingcables. If you have any issues make sure the ground is secure to pin 3 and that there is a wire from pin 3 to the metal housing on the cable.

Not sure why I didn't look at this closer, must be the pain meds for these holes in my mouth. :)

mickcris

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
Glad you got it working.  Depends on what diagram you are looking at as to how the pins are labeled. Pin 2 (or 3 how you had it labeled) is the one on the middle at the bottom in case anyone needs this in the future.