Author Topic: shapeshifter opinions?  (Read 725 times)

NeoFreak

shapeshifter opinions?
« on: September 13, 2006, 04:37:30 AM »
I was watching that VHS promo quicktime that was posted in another thread and was impressed with the look of shapeshifter...is it safe to say it plays along the lines of super metrioid but with an altered beast vibe? thanks.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

runinruder

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 04:59:07 AM »
More like Legendary Axe meets Night Creatures.  There isn't as much exploring to do as there is in a game like Super Metroid.

Opinions on Shape Shifter are split.  Some people (like me) think it's fantastic, with gigantic bosses; cool music; beautiful graphics; challenging-but-fair gameplay; interesting plot progression, characters, enemies, and environments; and lots of creative ideas on display.  Other crybabies moan about it being too hard and having sloppy controls (they take some practice) and an unforgivable save system (this is admittedly bad; you can only save in one spot).  

You will have to replay some areas, and the controls will take some practice.  With those things in mind, if it still sounds appealing, then go for it.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:50:57 AM »
Shapeshifter rules, it was definitely hard as hell but completely worth it.  The graphics and levels were so creative and unique, it was awesome just getting to a new place and seeing what form you would take.

T2KFreeker

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »
Nice game indeed. I have seen much worse, and better, although not much. Shape Shifter is a dificult game, but it is still an awesome experience for the Turbo. If you get it, it is worth it.
END OF LINE.

hoserman

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:21:14 PM »
Shapeshifter was and still is a very good game, I bought it new and tried and tried to beat it (it is very difficult). This gamewas pretty much the main reason I purchased the Magic Engine emulator  (save states) to finish the game. Get it....

Odonadon

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 05:03:24 PM »
I guess it all comes to personal opinion, and what type of gamer you are.  I found Shapeshifter to have good music and graphics, but horrible controls.  I gave up on it quickly and don't have a high opinion of it - poor controls in ANY video game is inexcusable.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

ParanoiaDragon

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »
I've always had mixed emotions on it.  It has decen music, some great graphics, decent voice acting.  The controls are stinky in some ways, & it IS too hard for my liking.  It IS a Metroidvania however, so, it still appeals to me.  Even though it's not up to the Metroids or the Metroidesque Castlevania's.

Keranu

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:59:36 PM »
It's a stunning game. Definitely buy it if you are interested, it shouldn't cost you much at all.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 03:19:41 PM »
It a Super Metroid/Metroid type of game, kinda like how Battle Of Olympus, Faxanadu, Dragon's Curse/WBIII and Castlevania Symphony Of The Night are.

Like all of these kinds of games, it's a side scrolling adventure game where you're free to explore anywhere available at anytime, giving you a sense of freedom, although you're really stuck playing through in a fairly linear path, gathering power-ups along the way which grant you abilities to access new areas.

I made a Castlevania/Super Metroid style map for it to drive the point home:

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/img/shapeshiftermap.jpg
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

NeoFreak

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 03:27:32 PM »
cool, thanks for the comments guys. hope to get this game soon

Black Tiger, that map you made is awesome. I'll check it out if I get stuck...is there an in-game map also?

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Black Tiger

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:53:28 PM »
Quote from: "NeoFreak"
cool, thanks for the comments guys. hope to get this game soon

Black Tiger, that map you made is awesome. I'll check it out if I get stuck...is there an in-game map also?

There isn't any kind of map in the game, but I made a decent walkthrough for it. The old version is up on GameFAQs. If you want I can e-mail you the newest revision if you need it.

T2KFreeker

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 05:58:51 PM »
Wow dude, that map is awesome. Someone needs to archive this stuff and make a book of it and sell it man. Hell, do it through cafe press if so. That would so rock. The map is cool indeed though.
END OF LINE.

ParanoiaDragon

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »
That map is awesome.  Although, one thing, shouldn't the Clock Tower, or maybe it's the Outer Fortress, be more over to the right?  I think that tower that you see way early in the game, (when you are heading to the first boss) is the Clock Tower, I could be wrong :?

Black Tiger

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 07:47:37 AM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
That map is awesome.  Although, one thing, shouldn't the Clock Tower, or maybe it's the Outer Fortress, be more over to the right?  I think that tower that you see way early in the game, (when you are heading to the first boss) is the Clock Tower, I could be wrong :?

They could be related, but I made everything proportionate by counting screens and kept the beginning of the "Night Sky" around where you actually enter it.

I could've put the Night Sky/Clock Tower area even further back, to line up the falling points with the Cliffs... but as-is, the Clock Tower would've been a lot closer to where you're talking about, if the 2nd boss's room didn't artificially force that whole side of the map over(it's one of the few overlapping areas).

But since all the floting map sections aren't really connected, I tried to place them in a way that would look best overall.

ParanoiaDragon

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 02:16:11 PM »
Ah, I see.  Yeah, I think I remember falling down the clock tower, & ending up in the first area, I could be wrong though.  Eitherway, you did a great job on that map!