Author Topic: shapeshifter opinions?  (Read 724 times)

Black Tiger

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »
You do fall down across like, 50 screens of the game, but the Night Sky area that you fall from itself is only like 10 screens long.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

AlexKidd

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 10:25:14 PM »
I started playing shape shifter again after browsing through this thread. I agree with everyone who thinks it's a great although having only one place to save makes it very difficult.

Anyway i'm already stuck and I need help. I'm in the cat temple trying to kill the seeker. The faq on gamefaqs(written by black tiger?) says to stay on one platform and repeatedly shoot at the eye. Well, this is what i've been doing and i'm getting my ass handed to me before I can do much damage to the eye(maybe 4 hits). Anyone have any further suggestions?

runinruder

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 02:19:04 AM »
Anyway i'm already stuck and I need help. I'm in the cat temple trying to kill the seeker. The faq on gamefaqs(written by black tiger?) says to stay on one platform and repeatedly shoot at the eye. Well, this is what i've been doing and i'm getting my ass handed to me before I can do much damage to the eye(maybe 4 hits). Anyone have any further suggestions?

Here's what I wrote in my old FAQ.  I don't know how accurate it is as I haven't played Shape Shifter in a while, but I hope it's helpful.

Lykos will automatically run to the center of the screen when the Seeker awakens.  Don't change back into human form just yet.  Leap on to the ledge to the left, then jump up on to the large platform right above you.  Leap on to one of the ledges on the left of the screen and jump all the way up to the top ledge.  After doing this as quickly as you possibly can (the Seeker will be shooting at you all the while), transform back into human form, and begin pelting the Eye with your arrows.  You should have a clear shot at it if you are standing on the top ledge.  You'll need to duck down each time you hit it, because the Eye will shoot out at you before returning to its place in the Seeker's head.  Don't wait for the Eye to take its place again after it shoots out; as soon as it shoots back over Lykos' head, stand up and fire an arrow. Duck back down again and repeat the process.  Eight shots with a fully powered bow will destroy the Seeker and release the second member of the Ring of Five, who will grant you the power to turn into the Psionic Shark.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Jammaniaclord

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 09:40:04 AM »
Quote from: "Odonadon"
I guess it all comes to personal opinion, and what type of gamer you are.  I found Shapeshifter to have good music and graphics, but horrible controls.  I gave up on it quickly and don't have a high opinion of it - poor controls in ANY video game is inexcusable.

OD

Agreed....controls were stiff and dumb as f*ck,a nd the last 3 bosses were near impossible to beat............but the graphics and cinema's were awesome as hell.
PC Cocoron Hunter

Odonadon

shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »
Quote from: "Jammaniaclord"

Agreed....controls were stiff and dumb as f*ck,a nd the last 3 bosses were near impossible to beat............but the graphics and cinema's were awesome as hell.

Of course - wouldn't have bought it otherwise :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

kid_rondeau

Re: shapeshifter opinions?
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 06:46:28 AM »
Shape Shifter's OK, especially if you know how to have fun with a not-so-fun game. But hey, it's Turbo, so love it or hate it, you should become familiar with it.

Just curious though: has anyone else discovered the phenomenon which allows you to jump in the air? It works like this:

1. Get a lot of crystals and the form of the Panther.
2. Jump up in the air.
3. At the height of your jump, press SEL to access the transformation screen.
4. Change into a different form, but:
5. WHILE MORPHING, hold button I to jump.
6. When the morph is complete, you will jump again from the apex of your previous jump.
7. Repeat until you reach your destination or you run out of crystals.

Using this method I often get level three panther, and I can free the last wizard in the Ring of Five and get to the last stage much quicker...once you get the gold dragon, you will be given the shark and rock troll automatically.

Try it!

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »
Shape Shifter's OK, especially if you know how to have fun with a not-so-fun game. But hey, it's Turbo, so love it or hate it, you should become familiar with it.

Just curious though: has anyone else discovered the phenomenon which allows you to jump in the air? It works like this:

1. Get a lot of crystals and the form of the Panther.
2. Jump up in the air.
3. At the height of your jump, press SEL to access the transformation screen.
4. Change into a different form, but:
5. WHILE MORPHING, hold button I to jump.
6. When the morph is complete, you will jump again from the apex of your previous jump.
7. Repeat until you reach your destination or you run out of crystals.

Using this method I often get level three panther, and I can free the last wizard in the Ring of Five and get to the last stage much quicker...once you get the gold dragon, you will be given the shark and rock troll automatically.

Try it!

I figured that trick out back in the day. It should be listed in my old walkthrough on GameFAQs.

I also managed to sneak into Tiger-Man's stage with Mouse-Man in Dragon's Curse and beat the boss. It does the same thing, you get the earlier morphs and skip most of the game.

Mr Bonk

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 11:22:15 PM »
I checked your faq, it was really helpful.  The other thing about the game was the killer music, I loved it.  Hopefully someone can put the OST for that soon. Does anyone have it?
If the government gets up your nose, then picket!

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 03:31:16 AM »
I checked your faq, it was really helpful.  The other thing about the game was the killer music, I loved it.  Hopefully someone can put the OST for that soon. Does anyone have it?

You can play the game disc in a CD player or rip the tracks to a computer.

Mr Bonk

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »
I am having such a hard time trying to do the rip from the CD, but somehow I'm unable to do it.  My computer is not letting me, I've tried Realplayer which sometimes works but not now. 

If you could do me the honors of ripping to mp3, I would really appreciate it.
If the government gets up your nose, then picket!