Author Topic: Number of Turbografx CD attachments sold?  (Read 1671 times)

DarkKobold

Number of Turbografx CD attachments sold?
« on: May 31, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »
I'm trying to find out how many US TGCD units (not Duos, just the attachment) were sold. Wikipedia is useless. My google-fu has failed. Any help would be appreciated.

Additionally, if anyone knows if the sales numbers of TG16 on Wikipedia are legit, it would be appreciated. The source cited on Wikipedia seems less than trustworthy.
Hey, you.

Black Tiger

Re: Number of Turbografx CD attachments sold?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:57:29 AM »
We'll never know, but some people like to take a passing comment by Vic Ireland and take it out of context and make a leap from there that they made 200,000.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
I'm trying to find out how many US TGCD units (not Duos, just the attachment) were sold. Wikipedia is useless. My google-fu has failed. Any help would be appreciated.

Additionally, if anyone knows if the sales numbers of TG16 on Wikipedia are legit, it would be appreciated. The source cited on Wikipedia seems less than trustworthy.

At least 100-200 units.
  |    | 

wilykat

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:33:45 PM »
Going by the serial number of the CD system I sold last month, probably 2 million.  I bought it originally when it was being clearance'd out in favor of Duo.

tbone3969

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 01:37:18 PM »
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 01:47:05 PM »
1) These numbers don't exist, nobody has them. We all want them, would love to have them. This goes for almost everything TG. You can keep looking on Google but I'm pretty sure you're just going to find lies.

2) Probably like 1000 until they hit clearance. It was a massive massive flop since the price was nuts.  After clearance I assume they sold all they made. So...however were made was probably how many were sold.

3) It would be interesting to take a survey here and see how many people currently own one. I think it's like...4.

bob

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »
jelloslug bought them all.

like BT said, vic made a comment that CF2 almost sold 1:1 to units sold.  he referenced around 100K.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
Vic also announced Lunar 3 so...worthless info, IMO, especially since "made vs sold" is a constant shell game popular with people who want to inflate their numbers and a LOT of NOS CF2s have turned up over the years, cases and cases of the things.

bob

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
Vic also announced Lunar 3 so...worthless info, IMO, especially since "made vs sold" is a constant shell game popular with people who want to inflate their numbers and a LOT of NOS CF2s have turned up over the years, cases and cases of the things.

right, the ones that turned up over the years didnt sell back then.  he never claimed they made LESS copies of it than systems sold.  he just made a quick comment that he thought they sold as many as systems.  he said it when talking about how cadash was a flop and i dont think he was even asked about the CF2 numbers, he just said it in general.  i doubt there was any predetermined force behind his comment.  maybe he mentioned lunar 3 at some point and they probably had some level of intent to do it, but shit happens and we never got it.

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
I bought mine from electronics boutique once they cut the price in preparation for the anouncement of the duo.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 03:22:24 PM »

right, the ones that turned up over the years didnt sell back then.  he never claimed they made LESS copies of it than systems sold.  he just made a quick comment that he thought they sold as many as systems.  he said it when talking about how cadash was a flop and i dont think he was even asked about the CF2 numbers, he just said it in general.  i doubt there was any predetermined force behind his comment.  maybe he mentioned lunar 3 at some point and they probably had some level of intent to do it, but shit happens and we never got it.

From what I remember, he talked about an offhand comment a Turbo guy made pre-Super CD/Duo and that so far, it was one for one.

But we had clowns taking out of context comments about E.T.'ing Magical Chase and how they had proof that it wasn't ever released in Canada and how that meant that there were only 800 copies in existence before they destroyed 2000 of them, so their copy is a steal for only $99,999.99.

I really wish I made up each of those parts.

There is only one certainty with manufactured and sold numbers: it is definitely impossible to ever know anything accurate.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TheClash603

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »
I imagine the closest anyone would come to an exact number would be to use the serial numbers.  They are all stamped with a date as well.

I had three at one point, due to brokenness.  One was gear replaced, one broken was sold, and I have another busted one.

I regret parting with the unit I did, because it had a later date stamped on it.  The two I kept have the same earlier date and I would imagine this was the original production run with the majority of the systems.  The later run is probably more rare and the serial numbers more helpful in determining units sold, as I can't imagine they did more than a few manufacturing runs.

DarkKobold

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
I imagine the closest anyone would come to an exact number would be to use the serial numbers.  They are all stamped with a date as well.

I had three at one point, due to brokenness.  One was gear replaced, one broken was sold, and I have another busted one.

I regret parting with the unit I did, because it had a later date stamped on it.  The two I kept have the same earlier date and I would imagine this was the original production run with the majority of the systems.  The later run is probably more rare and the serial numbers more helpful in determining units sold, as I can't imagine they did more than a few manufacturing runs.

That is actually a pretty clever idea.

A similar thing was done with the Sharp NES TV - there is even more information, as it gives the manufacturing date. I'm not sure if this info could be used to approximate the number of Sharp NES TVs manufactured.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=49598
Hey, you.

uiengineer

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 04:40:22 AM »
I currently have the CD dock, but not the CDROM unit. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 04:49:30 AM »
Serial numbers are equally useless unless you can say for sure you understand their numbering scheme, that there weren't huge batches of rejected product, etc.