Author Topic: Number of Turbografx CD attachments sold?  (Read 1659 times)

ginoscope

Re: Number of Turbografx CD attachments sold?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 06:11:50 AM »
That interview from crazy ol' Vic was a good laugh. Man, that was an artful display of bullshit.

I bet you the game he was ACTUALLY talking about was Grandia 2. I agree that Grandia was essentially the successor to the Lunar series (and, mechanically speaking, improved upon Lunar 100 fold through its battle system alone).

The whole thing is crazy. If someone else makes a game, he can translate it (in twice as much time as it took to make the entire game in the first place of course)
Don't forget the "rebalancing" in order to totally f*ck up the natural flow of a game (hey, let's double the health of everything on Elemental Gearbolt! Hey, let's make it literally impossible to beat RayStorm on its arcade default difficulty, because that's too "easy"! Triple the health on all Albert Odyssey bosses, why not!).

Let's not forget Exile 2 and how Working Design made the game almost unbeatable.  You know it's a long road when the first scorpion you see will own you.  I am really proud I beat this last year but man was it difficult.

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »
Vic also claimed that he duckered GameArts into a lifetime contract for tge tights to publish Lunar games in English. He actually said something along the lines of "No one but me will ever touch any Lunar games for any pkatform!" or something arrogantly crazy.

Thankfully he was still full crap.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

xelement5x

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 05:08:00 AM »
I believe Vic had what was called the first right of refusal with the Lunar franchise, so not really anything too crazy.  I think he alludes to that in the interview.  From Google:

Right of first refusal (ROFR or RFR) is a contractual right that gives its holder the option to enter a business transaction with the owner of something, according to specified terms, before the owner is entitled to enter into that transaction with a third party.

So someone else could bring out another Lunar game (obviously Ubisoft did so on the GBA), but Working Designs had the option to localize/distribute the game in the US first. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Black Tiger

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 05:54:16 AM »
I assumed bitd, that in reality it must be something like that. But I remember that in one of his quotes, he made a point of phrasing things to say that if they didn't localize a particular Lunar game, then we wouldn't get it at all.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 06:42:43 AM »
From my understanding they had actually sold their rights tied to the series (first right or refusal) back to Game Arts along with the English localization of the Sega CD Lunar's which Game Arts then packaged to allow Ubisoft to use the Working Designs town/character names.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 02:02:03 AM »
Answer: 42
  |    | 

Otaking

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 02:27:01 AM »
Answer: 69

esteban

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 02:36:03 AM »
Answer: n + 1
  |    | 

Otaking

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 02:48:55 AM »
Answer: 1337

wildfruit

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »
Int n;
//n is the number of rich kids in     
// America
Cout  >> "how many kids parents had money to burn in the 90s? : " ;
Cin << n << endl;

Cout  >> "the number of turbografx cd attachments sold is: " >> (n++) * 2 >>endl;

Return 0;

// may or may not be true

Black Tiger

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2016, 04:25:01 AM »
My family was not rich and spent very little money on me. I bought the Turbo-CD twice myself. The first time was at the full launch price. The store that advertised in EGM kept my money and never sent anything. I just realized that I also bought Ys I & II twice because of this. I think that the Turbo-CD I bought which I actually received was $400 Canadian.

The Genesis and TG-16 were marketed towards teens, since Nintendo had an illegal monoply and was targeting kids. Lots of us earned the money used to buy our video games stuff.

Punch

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2016, 04:32:25 AM »
If that happened to me I would have been pissed off to this day, BT. The mail order scam, I mean.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:46:45 AM by Punch »

esteban

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2016, 07:11:07 PM »
My family was not rich and spent very little money on me. I bought the Turbo-CD twice myself. The first time was at the full launch price. The store that advertised in EGM kept my money and never sent anything. I just realized that I also bought Ys I & II twice because of this. I think that the Turbo-CD I bought which I actually received was $400 Canadian.

The Genesis and TG-16 were marketed towards teens, since Nintendo had an illegal monoply and was targeting kids. Lots of us earned the money used to buy our video games stuff.

Yup. Ditto, here.

My two brothers and I saved up every last cent (birthday + Xmas + chores/part-time jobs) to buy all our video game paraphernalia (including TG-CD). It was a "demo" unit (we called it a "floor model") from a local shop and, IIRC, $50 off.

My brothers and I replayed our games a billion times.

We didn't have money for many games, but we were able to get a few every year.

|    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 12:08:43 AM »
Don't forget the "rebalancing" in order to totally f*ck up the natural flow of a game (hey, let's double the health of everything on Elemental Gearbolt! Hey, let's make it literally impossible to beat RayStorm on its arcade default difficulty, because that's too "easy"! Triple the health on all Albert Odyssey bosses, why not!).

Yeah I like most of the games WD brought over but I very much agree. I used experience codes in Albert Odyssey and gave no effs.

Sometimes there were some positive changes, but all of the game difficulty stuff was bullshit.

gatsu25

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2016, 03:46:08 AM »
It would be so nice to have numbers like this.  I don't see why companies don't go back and offer sales numbers from their past.

Surely someone from Hudson or NEC in Japan has an idea of sales numbers for systems and games...

I feel like companies don't want to release this information, and thus its just eventually becomes lost forever.  It's kind of a shame.