Author Topic: Best Turbo shooter under $50?  (Read 1459 times)

GoldenWheels

Re: Best Turbo shooter under $50?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 02:00:49 AM »
Most of the good ones were already mentioned. 

Cyber Core and Avenger PCE CD are two shooters that I like and should be under $50.

I really like Avenger as well. Good tunes, nice gameplay, cool bosses, not brain-numbingly hard. It can still be had pretty affordably.

MNKyDeth

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 02:14:24 AM »
Why not spring for an everdrive? Sure it's more than $50 but then you get every single hucard based game for the system and are able to play it on real hardware as well. No need for a region modded system either if you go this route.

Cdrom based games you can burn so essentially every game is free beyond the cost of the CD-r's and everdrive. The cheapest way to experience all the games on this system using real hardware.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 05:18:01 AM »
The cheapest is not always the most fun.

EmperorIng

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 05:30:01 AM »
Anyone considering Sidearms should get Sidearms Special.

I don't think Sidearms Special is appreciably superior to the HuCard version in any way.

While it still has the base excellence of Sidearms, it suffers from having a lame, low-energy soundtrack (compared to the excellent chiptunes of the HuCard) and an extra mode that is honestly not worth bothering with - it's just inferior to the arcade design. That and slight load times between bosses and levels vs the more seamless HuCard (though this is really minor).

I think the statement ought to be reversed: if you don't have Sidearms, just stick with the HuCard! Cheaper, and a better game!

Dude Blazing Lazers is the best SHMUP hands down on any system ever made. Tons of action going on, multitude of upgrades at your disposal, and not punishingly difficult or unfair, ie like many later one-hit death bullet hells.

The tons of action is more so on God mode or Mania; anything below that is more akin "hold fire and coast," especially with lasers covering the entire screen  :D

And most bullet hells aren't that unfair. In fact some don't even kill you in one hit.

The cheapest is not always the most fun.

If we are going by TurboGrafx prices, expensive is usually not fun either.

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 06:41:27 AM »
I don't think Sidearms is appreciably superior to the CD version in any way.

While it still has the base excellence of Sidearms, it suffers from having a lame, subpar chip-sound soundtrack (complete with infamous NEC "drumming") and is missing all of the sampled sound effects. The music is still superior to the arcade, but that's not saying much. Sidestepping the split second load times between bosses and levels isn't really a perceivable difference if you have a properly functioning CD system, as they take no longer than changing CD music tracks.

I think the statement ought to be reversed: even if you have Sidearms, get Sidearms Special! It's cheaper than the HuCard version (<half the price!), worth buying just as a music CD, a better game, plus a second game and a poster!
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Punch

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
There is a poster???

I must buy it then.

esteban

Best Turbo shooter under $50?
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
There is a poster???

I must buy it then.

It's small. Monster Lair has one two.

4-6 panels of a CD booklet...

IIRC.
  |    | 

drewbrim

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
Another vote here for Aero Blasters.  Just mind the ceilings and floors on the 3rd stage 😃

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 12:28:53 AM »
Record of Lodoss War is worth buying just for the poster.

Another vote here for Aero Blasters.  Just mind the ceilings and floors on the 3rd stage :wink:

fixed
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:48:53 AM by Black Tiger »

tpivette

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 02:41:37 PM »
Blazing Lazers... best entry shooter I played back in 89... although, I've been out of the game too long to know if it's under $50 these days. Man I hope it is
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

wiseau

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
From what i can gather if you just want the card it's almost exactly 50 bucks online, otherwise you're sol.
Scratch that, i was full of shit. still, a complete copy is over 50.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:09:03 PM by wiseau »

technozombie

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »
Reading through this thread I wanted to recommend Gate of Thunder, then I looked it up on Ebay. Damn.

P.S. GoT is possibly the best shooter ever made. IMO of course.

Black Tiger

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »
Reading through this thread I wanted to recommend Gate of Thunder, then I looked it up on Ebay. Damn.

P.S. GoT is possibly the best shooter ever made. IMO of course.

Most of the recent eBay sales for the Turbo version have been $60 - $70. Still not bad for 4 great games.

technozombie

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
I picked up the PCE version at Retropalooza Houston and I cant get enough. It's worth it.

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
From what i can gather if you just want the card it's almost exactly 50 bucks online, otherwise you're sol.
Scratch that, i was full of shit. still, a complete copy is over 50.
Get it for under $50 while you still can. If Kanye West has his say in the matter and names a song after it on his upcoming album, it will be $100 overnight... [-X

Quick question regarding Blazing Lazers/Gunhed: Since there's no difficulty selection on Blazing Lazers by default, is what you are playing in the US release equivalent to common dog or hard human? :-k