Author Topic: Blazing Lazers Audio Popping?  (Read 835 times)

StarDust4Ever

Re: Blazing Lazers Audio Popping?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:31 AM »
I live in humid Louisiana. I got my Turbografx from a seller on eBay in 2014. Can't remember which state it shipped from as the ebay link and USPS tracking are long gone, probably somewhere out west if I had to guess. I took a gamble actually. Seller said the RF was poor; this turned out not to be the case. My unit came with an original AC adapter and a very rusty Commodore 64 manual switch. I cleaned the RF out with mineral spirits and plugged in a gold plated RCA-RF plug, and direct-connected the TV coax to my telli set. Picture is honestly among the best of my RF out consoles, comparable to my SNES. There's a very slight amount of bleed on the right-hand edge of bright red objects, less than a pixel in width. In 2015 I bought a very slick looking 3D-printed AV booster alternative for $35 from a dealer on Etsy and I use the composite + stero output from that. Sadly this person no longer sells them. I wish they still did so I could recommend it to folks... :cry:

I also keep thinking I want to do the LED mod to the logo.  Did you use an LED strip or just single LEDs?

As for the LED mod itself, I bought out my local Radio Shack of white four-pin 3mm LED packages. Wanted 8 but they only had seven so I had to make do with what I got. I later realised I got robbed pretty bad buying all seven square mount LEDs they had, paying $5 each for parts I could have ordered online for 25 cents. #-o I installed the LEDs on a perfboard PCB and supplied each one with a 100 ohm resistor because I don't trust them to stay in tolerance when parallel connected. The perfboard was cut to size, roughly 1x3.5 inches, and the whole assembly was covered in several layers of black electric tape. The PCB is held onto the case with velcro so it can be repositioned if need be. I used leftover pieces from the perfboard I originally cut to build up a platform for it to rest on so the LEDs didn't poke the backside of the decal. Because the LED board is too thick, I had to cut a rectangular hole in the top side shielding to allow the assembly to fit. I ran the black and red wires and soldered directly to the 7805 regulator. After I installed everything, I looked up a video tutorial on Youtube from Game-Tech

and realized I had way over-engineered my backlight mod. I took photos of it but haven't uploaded them online yet. I'll eventually upload them to a Flickr album and make a thread about it later.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:02:48 AM by StarDust4Ever »

rxmage

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »

I also keep thinking I want to do the LED mod to the logo.  Did you use an LED strip or just single LEDs?

As for the LED mod itself, I bought out my local Radio Shack of white four-pin 3mm LED packages. Wanted 8 but they only had seven so I had to make do with what I got. I later realised I got robbed pretty bad buying all seven square mount LEDs they had, paying $5 each for parts I could have ordered online for 25 cents. #-o I installed the LEDs on a perfboard PCB and supplied each one with a 100 ohm resistor because I don't trust them to stay in tolerance when parallel connected. The perfboard was cut to size, roughly 1x3.5 inches, and the whole assembly was covered in several layers of black electric tape. The PCB is held onto the case with velcro so it can be repositioned if need be. I used leftover pieces from the perfboard I originally cut to build up a platform for it to rest on so the LEDs didn't poke the backside of the decal. Because the LED board is too thick, I had to cut a rectangular hole in the top side shielding to allow the assembly to fit. I ran the black and red wires and soldered directly to the 7805 regulator. After I installed everything, I looked up a video tutorial on Youtube from Game-Tech

and realized I had way over-engineered my backlight mod. I took photos of it but haven't uploaded them online yet. I'll eventually upload them to a Flickr album and make a thread about it later.

Good deal.  I look forward to the thread with photos.  To OP, sorry I derailed your thread!

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:02:46 PM by StarDust4Ever »

Mgridgaway

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 12:51:25 PM »
It's fine! I found the cap talk interesting. I'm chalking the sound issues up to what Esteban said. The fact that 2 other YouTube reviews had the same popping noise is too unlikely to be just a coincidence. Maybe one day I'll get another unit to test it against.

rxmage

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »
You got me curious now.  I'm going to have to play some Blazing Lasers on my Everdrive to see if I get the same popping sound.

Groover

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 01:44:56 PM »
I tried playing Blazing Lazers today on my Turbo Express. Sadly I couldn't reach Area 5. I am very rusty on this game. Of what I did play it sounded fine.

rxmage

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
I tried playing Blazing Lazers today on my Turbo Express. Sadly I couldn't reach Area 5. I am very rusty on this game. Of what I did play it sounded fine.

Oh yeah, I just plain suck at a lot of games.  But, it doesn't hinder my ability to enjoy the games!

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »

Oh yeah, I just plain suck at a lot of games.  But, it doesn't hinder my ability to enjoy the games!
I made it to stage seven once. Blazing Lazers isn't too hard once you get into it but you've got to practice on it and learn how to best utilize the powerups. Tons of options and never a dull moment anywhere in the game. And stage one is a great starter level even if you can't progress beyond it.

Stage four is probably my favorite with the giant exploding brains, and the ice crystals in stage six a close second. Stage five is likely my least favorite in the game. The bouncing pyramids are super annoying, and why they have to stick a desert level smack dab in the middle of a space SHMUP? It simply feels like stage five belongs in a different game altogether.

Also I gotta give props to stage seven. Stage seven is very similar to stage one with the same sprites and music, but the difficulty is ramped up on steroids. I wish there were a cheat code so I can start there. Never made it to stages eight and nine, but that's something else to enjoy when the time comes. :wink:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:02:42 PM by StarDust4Ever »

Mgridgaway

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
You can just access the sound test by holding select and pressing left then right repeatedly until it comes up.

rxmage

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
You can just access the sound test by holding select and pressing left then right repeatedly until it comes up.

Well, yeah...sure, you could do that... :oops:
lol!