Author Topic: Anyone still prefer mechanical switch region mod?  (Read 276 times)

wilykat

Anyone still prefer mechanical switch region mod?
« on: June 16, 2016, 12:14:50 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201444656382?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

10 pole 2 throw switch, $7 and it comes in 4.  I just got this for a different project and it does latch so it'd be good for TG16 and PCE region mod if you prefer mechanical switch version.  Since the region mod only needs 8 poles, the extra 2 can be for anything like LED lightning (one color for USA, different color for Japan) or left unused.

This sure beats the expensive $25 price tag for a single 8p2t switch that have been around for the past few years.

The seller has more than 100 lots (400 switches) currently so he won't run out anytime soon.

Not bashing the electronic switch version (any of them) but some of them do have issues with Everdrive while the mechanical switch don't have any problem.

Keith Courage

Re: Anyone still prefer mechanical switch region mod?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
Surplus sales of Nebraska has an 8pdt switch for $5.50 here. $5 each if you order 6 or more I think. http://www.surplussales.com/Switches/SWPushB-3.html

I don't use these anymore but I used to quite a bit.

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
Couldn't one quad gang four DPDT switches together? Glue the bodies together with superglue, making sure they are perfectly aligned, then drill a hole through the switche arms with a 1/16th drill bit. Drive a nail though the holes and cut the tip flush. Add a drop of superglue to secure the nail. Bam! Homemade 8P2T. 8)

Now you only need to drill a long ass rectangular hole in your enclosure...  :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:04:33 AM by StarDust4Ever »

Ergot_Cholera

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 12:03:46 AM »
I have some 8P2T slide switches that I bought a few years ago and they fit perfectly in the space on the right side of a PC Engine/Core Grafx (in front of the AV/RF socket). I bought 40 of them and I think they were around £0.20 each (I still have over 30 left).
I like the mechanical mod, the only downside is it is quite time consuming to install it.

wilykat

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »
Couldn't one quad gang four DPDT switches together? Glue the bodies together with superglue, making sure they are perfectly aligned, then drill a hole through the switche arms with a 1/16th drill bit. Drive a nail though the holes and cut the tip flush. Add a drop of superglue to secure the nail. Bam! Homemade 8P2T. 8)

You could but flipping 4 switches gets tedious, big hole looks messy, and with this 8p or the 10p on eBay, you only need at most a 1/4" hole for the switch.

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 03:01:29 AM »

You could but flipping 4 switches gets tedious, big hole looks messy, and with this 8p or the 10p on eBay, you only need at most a 1/4" hole for the switch.
You're probably right. I've improvised stuff in the past on projects, not necessarily game related, using parts found at Radio Shack. Those 10 contact switches look nice though. I'm not sure where you'd install one though.