Author Topic: dungeon master: theron's quest  (Read 541 times)

NeoFreak

dungeon master: theron's quest
« on: September 16, 2006, 06:44:31 AM »
I just ordered this game because i love dungeon crawlers that dont hold your hand the whole damn way. this is looking like eye of the beholder to me; but i'm having a really hard time finding any reviews or screenshots of the game. I read somwhere that you dont keep equipment between dungeons, but you do keep stats, and that you have to recruit new guys between dungeons...but thats about all i know. If this game offers up good puzzles and forces me to draw out maps on paper, i will be happy. anyone who can give me a little more detail about the game, thanks in advance.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Odonadon

Re: dungeon master: theron's quest
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 07:59:10 AM »
Quote from: "NeoFreak"
I just ordered this game because i love dungeon crawlers that dont hold your hand the whole damn way. this is looking like eye of the beholder to me; but i'm having a really hard time finding any reviews or screenshots of the game. I read somwhere that you dont keep equipment between dungeons, but you do keep stats, and that you have to recruit new guys between dungeons...but thats about all i know. If this game offers up good puzzles and forces me to draw out maps on paper, i will be happy. anyone who can give me a little more detail about the game, thanks in advance.

I don't remember about the between stage stuff, but I'm pretty sure you will end up writing maps on paper and enjoying some good puzzles :)  It's a good game and was one of my favs for my Duo.  Unfortunately I haven't played it for more than 10 years.  Let me know how you like it :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

GUTS

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:31:50 AM »
The only thing that sucks about dungeon master is the stupid magic system, otherwise it's cool.  The magic system will piss you off in no time though, it's honestly f*cking retarded.

NeoFreak

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:11:08 PM »
it uses a rune system that you have to use to cast spells right? i was reading that some people thought it was pretty cool? is this what you're talking about?

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

T2KFreeker

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
I like Theron's Quest and the Sega CD game as well. Good stuff man, you should like it.
END OF LINE.

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
I haven't played much of it, but it seems pretty decent. I don't really like how you have to maintain a food and water level for each character, but at least it takes a long time to refill it if I recall.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Odonadon

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I haven't played much of it, but it seems pretty decent. I don't really like how you have to maintain a food and water level for each character, but at least it takes a long time to refill it if I recall.

Ooooh, that's right, that pissed me off too.  I thought that was a stupid addition in a console RPG, or any type of RPG for that matter.

OD

Kaminari

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 05:14:31 AM »

esteban

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 10:38:38 AM »
Quote from: "Kaminari"
The DM & CSB Encyclopaedia.
What a great site; nice and thorough.

DM was one of the few IIGS games that we were allowed to play while taking a break from computer science (Pirates! was another one).

I think it was because our teacher liked the game :).
  |    | 

FM-77

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 10:59:18 AM »
Hmm, the game looks pretty mediocre judging from screenshots. There must be better dungeon crawlers out there (I'm a dungeon crawler buff!!)  :o

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 11:52:16 AM »
I first played Dungeon Master on the Amiga. When it came out for TG-16 I was pretty excited since I didn't own an Amiga. The TG-16 version has some pretty pointless cinemas that look like they are from another game. They are very interesting, and anime-like whereas Dungeon Master (and virtually all dungeon crawlers) has really drab boring graphics. Everything is a rock, or a piece of mold, an animal carcass, etc.

Basically I think its pretty good. The only real pisser is the fact that you lose pretty much everything when you finish a dungeon. I always thought this was a save space limitation or something. I really don't know. Its better than just about any dungeon crawler I can think of. Its loads better than Eye of the Beholder, or Kings Field, or whatever. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, obviously. I did like the game though.

GUTS

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 03:34:56 PM »
Eye of the Beholder and King's Field absolutely smoke the living shit out of every version of Dungeon Master ever, I don't know what you're talking about.  Anyone who doesn't love Eye of the Beholder and King's Field shouldn't be giving their opinion on dungeon crawlers since they obviously know nothing about them.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Word up!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »
Hmm, the game looks pretty mediocre judging from screenshots. There must be better dungeon crawlers out there (I'm a dungeon crawler buff!!)

Haha :lol:
If you truly are a Dungeon Crawler Buff then you would have played Dungeon Master!!  And loved it!!

Eye of the Beholder and King's Field absolutely smoke the living shit out of every version of Dungeon Master ever, I don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who doesn't love Eye of the Beholder and King's Field shouldn't be giving their opinion on dungeon crawlers since they obviously know nothing about them.

More hahaha :lol:
Kings Field and EotB are cool, but their both Dungeon Master Clones!  DM broke the mold, and the sheep followed!

But seriously, Therons Quest Rocks!  I totally dig the entire game, I personally thought it was much better than the SNES version by JVC.  

Great Soundtrack, with some clean grafx!

Two thumbs WAY UP!!!

TurboSage

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »
I just thought I'd pop in to mention that the Sega CD version of Eye of the Beholder has AWESOME music.

As for Dungeon Master... it pioneered the genre?  No wonder it seemed so primitive and under-developed.  Never played the Turbo one though, which I assume (hope) was updated.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Odonadon

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
But seriously, Therons Quest Rocks! I totally dig the entire game, I personally thought it was much better than the SNES version by JVC.

Do you lose your shit at the end of dungeons in the SNES version as well?

OD