Author Topic: Military Madness!  (Read 762 times)

monads

Military Madness!
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:23:07 AM »
I love this old school game.  So who here has beaten all 32 stages without any cheat codes?  I'm only on mission 9 but I made one dumb move lastnight that cost me to lose the mission!

Odonadon

Military Madness!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:17:14 AM »
I've barely made it past level 3 myself, but I definetely love it.  One of the best games for the system, that's for sure.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Black Tiger

Military Madness!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 08:42:32 AM »
I finished both quests of Military Madness and Neo Nectaris before I'd even heard of any kind of cheat codes.

Back then, magazines were the only source for such things and they were like 6 months behind.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Jared4781

Military Madness!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »
this is for sure one of my favorite games for the turbo. I have never beaten the game, but I usually have a tough time beating any game, I do wish that Hudson will release these for the Wii with wi-fi play so that I can try my hand at kickin some booty online.
always looking to buy mint turbo games. hit me up if you've got some!

PC Gaijin

Military Madness!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:44:31 AM »
Cheat codes? Do you mean the passwords to access the missions, or are there other cheat codes? Anyway, I cleared all 32 missions before seeing the mission passwords for the first time (I think in TurboPlay magazine). Fantastic game and it was very satisfying to finally beat that last mission, which is quite unfair in the number of enemies you have to fight. However, the AI in MM is pretty limited, and once you get used to it the game becomes fairly easy. Keep your units together for Area of Effect bonuses, force the enemy into chokepoints, pound them with ranged units while they're approaching your front line, and destroy units in a single round so they can't retreat to a factory for repair. Also, by forcing the enemy into a chokepoint with say only 2 or 3 hexes to engage your front line, you can rotate fresh units into the line after each round of combat while withdrawing damaged units to factories. The computer AI isn't very good at using this strategy, so on the maps where you are heavily outnumbered you can use this defensive strategy to wear down their numbers before going on the offensive later.

Tatsujin

Military Madness!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 02:04:55 PM »
best round based strategy game ever made! and also the milestone and great-grandfather for all the following roundbased hexagon-strategy games.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

Military Madness!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »
Quote from: "Tatsujin"
best round based strategy game ever made! and also the milestone and great-grandfather for all the following roundbased hexagon-strategy games.

It's still my favorite and although Neo' wasn't exactly what I wanted in every way, there's nothing wrong with it and it's another masterpiece.

The only other war sims I've been able to get into since have been ones that are similar to MM.

monads

Military Madness!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »
That's some good strategy Gaijin  :)   Yea and I was referring to the mission passwords as "cheat" codes.

I have a copy of Vasteel but haven't played it yet.   I want to get through MM 1st but how do you guys like Vasteel to MM?

Odonadon

Military Madness!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »
The only other war sims I've been able to get into since have been ones that are similar to MM.

I hear ya.  Advance Wars did almost everything right gameplay-wise, being faithful to Nectaris, but the story was just way too kiddyish for me.  Bla.  But I've never been able to enjoy any other type of war sim.

OD

Black Tiger

Military Madness!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 06:08:58 PM »
Quote from: "monads"
That's some good strategy Gaijin  :)   Yea and I was referring to the mission passwords as "cheat" codes.

I have a copy of Vasteel but haven't played it yet.   I want to get through MM 1st but how do you guys like Vasteel to MM?

Vasteel is a totally different game, but familiar enough after playing through MM, that it feels easier to get into.

For me, the hexagonal grids make all the difference. There isn't any zone of control in Vasteel, but the fights are one-on-one and you get to control your mecha in battle.

This can give you a big advantage once you get good at the game. But it also makes it hard when you're up late at night and start to get sleepy.

Vasteel also has some of the best graphical effects on the Turbo/PCE.

monads

Military Madness!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 07:14:04 PM »
Quote from: "Odonadon"
I hear ya.  Advance Wars did almost everything right gameplay-wise, being faithful to Nectaris, but the story was just way too kiddyish for me.  Bla.  But I've never been able to enjoy any other type of war sim.OD

Advance Wars was cool but the story just couldn't keep me coming back for more, like you said kiddish.  I just started to play Field Commander for PSP so let's see how that goes.

But a battle in space/on the moon where an empire wants to detroy Earth?  That sounds cool  :D

Vasteel sounds interesting, I'll get to it soon.

Jared4781

Military Madness!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 04:40:31 PM »
man! PC Gaijin has all the tips for MM! If only I could work my units to do what he says, I guess im just not a very good gamer.
always looking to buy mint turbo games. hit me up if you've got some!

Odonadon

Military Madness!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 07:03:31 AM »
Quote from: "Jared4781"
man! PC Gaijin has all the tips for MM! If only I could work my units to do what he says, I guess im just not a very good gamer.

Practice makes perfect :)  I, too, am a horrible gamer but don't let that discourage you :)

OD

esteban

Re: Military Madness!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:33:06 AM »
I love this old school game.  So who here has beaten all 32 stages without any cheat codes?  I'm only on mission 9 but I made one dumb move lastnight that cost me to lose the mission!

:)

Over the years, I've completed the following games on the real hardware:
Military Madness (HuCard)
Nectaris (HuCard)
Neo Nectaris (SCD) Best UI of the lot.
Nectaris GB (GB) Hey does anyone have a cart with a working battery?
Nectaris: Military Madness (PS1) Not a big fan of the battle scenes (neither 3D nor 2D looked as good as they should have), and it was a shame they ignored all the UI improvements that Neo Nectaris implemented.

And I've played around with the following:
Nectaris (PC Germany -- hard as nails, but great... I only beat a dozen stages)
Nectaris (mobile) -- I finally got a cell phone and the first thing I did was download the game, just to see what it looked like).
  |    | 

Black Tiger

Re: Military Madness!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

:)

Over the years, I've completed the following games on the real hardware:
Military Madness (HuCard)
Nectaris (HuCard)
Neo Nectaris (SCD) Best UI of the lot.
Nectaris GB (GB) Hey does anyone have a cart with a working battery?
Nectaris: Military Madness (PS1) Not a big fan of the battle scenes (neither 3D nor 2D looked as good as they should have), and it was a shame they ignored all the UI improvements that Neo Nectaris implemented.

And I've played around with the following:
Nectaris (PC Germany -- hard as nails, but great... I only beat a dozen stages)
Nectaris (mobile) -- I finally got a cell phone and the first thing I did was download the game, just to see what it looked like).

I didn't realize that you were also a Military Madness fan Steve.  :P

Speaking of MM tricks/strategy, what's the best place to find info on the Nectaris series?