Author Topic: Military Madness!  (Read 760 times)

SignOfZeta

Military Madness!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 02:21:38 PM »
Quote from: "Odonadon"
The only other war sims I've been able to get into since have been ones that are similar to MM.

I hear ya.  Advance Wars did almost everything right gameplay-wise, being faithful to Nectaris, but the story was just way too kiddyish for me.  Bla.  But I've never been able to enjoy any other type of war sim.

OD

Yes, whereas the War and Peace level depth to the story in Military Madness is so riviting and detailed...

PC Gaijin

Military Madness!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »
Well, the story in MM is largely throwaway. You can ignore it if you wish and just concentrate on the maps, whereas in AW the story is a lot more obtrusive.

I always  preferred MM over AW due to the hex-based design and Zone of Control. Those two things alone make a big difference in gameplay.

Has anyone here ever played the game OGRE? It's an hex-based wargame that was converted into a computer game. I loved playing that on my Atari 800, and when MM came out it reminded me a lot of OGRE. In OGRE, the forces were lopsided (one player controlled a huge battletank, the other side had a bunch of much weaker units), but the futuristic setting and hex-based design were kind of like MM.

Odonadon

Military Madness!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 06:01:52 PM »
Yes, whereas the War and Peace level depth to the story in Military Madness is so riviting and detailed...

No, but it isn't childish.  I'd rather play a game with no story than one with a bad one :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Odonadon

Military Madness!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Well, the story in MM is largely throwaway. You can ignore it if you wish and just concentrate on the maps, whereas in AW the story is a lot more obtrusive.

I always  preferred MM over AW due to the hex-based design and Zone of Control. Those two things alone make a big difference in gameplay.

Has anyone here ever played the game OGRE? It's an hex-based wargame that was converted into a computer game. I loved playing that on my Atari 800, and when MM came out it reminded me a lot of OGRE. In OGRE, the forces were lopsided (one player controlled a huge battletank, the other side had a bunch of much weaker units), but the futuristic setting and hex-based design were kind of like MM.

Sounds a lot like Ogre Battle for the SNES, I imagine they are related.  Fun game that eventually evolved into Ogre Tactics - away from the hexagonal map.  Interesting tactic (pun fully intended).

OD

PC Gaijin

Military Madness!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 07:26:41 PM »
Actually, OGRE isn't related to the Ogre Battles series in any way. :) And I don't recall Ogre Battle taking place on a hexagonal map (been years since I played it)?

GUTS

Military Madness!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »
Ogre Battle is real time and doesn't have hexes, the only thing it has remotely in common with MM is that when your units get into battles it shows a cut scene of them fighting.

handygrafx

Military Madness!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 02:50:32 PM »
I want new Military Madness / Nectaris games for the DS and the Wii.

the DS version should have decent 3D battle graphics, better than the poor PS1, and close to the unreleased N64/64DD game Gendai Dai-Senryaku: Ultimate War

video:

but traditional turn-based, hex-based gameplay. no realtime gameplay.

a Wii version should be different but also able to play with the DS through WiFi.  lots of downloadable maps, weapons, and online worldwide gameplay.

my heart nearly stopped when i saw this
http://nfggames.com/neography/pivot/entry.php?id=373&w=nfg_games

Hudson Announces Nectaris DS

Odonadon

Military Madness!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »
Oh sweet lord my prayers have been answered!  That's great news!

OD

Keranu

Military Madness!
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 06:15:51 PM »
Supar sweet! :D
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

Military Madness!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 06:43:27 AM »
Alright I don't get it? You guys are exited than NFG likes Nectaris and thinks Hudson should make a DS port? :?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

Military Madness!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 07:56:01 AM »
Read the article you spastics, it's just a joke.

cheezio

Military Madness!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 01:45:47 PM »
MM was the first game of its type I ever played, and I totally loved it. Hex is much preferable to AWs square grid map.

MMs subtleties like unit veterancy (more stars/skill for each kill), and the support fire help make it a better tactical game than AW. But AW has more character and story, and its prettier of course.
Also AW has much more replay value, as there branching maps in the campaign (so you need to play through several times to get them all), and the troop types you get on the final mission relate to which maps you chose in the campaign.

Battle Isle was another good hex based game (pc and amiga i think)

Keranu

Military Madness!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 02:25:13 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"

Understand the idea of sarcasm you flaming tard.  :twisted:
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Odonadon

Military Madness!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 04:14:51 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Quote from: "GUTS"

Understand the idea of sarcasm you flaming tard.  :twisted:

Actually, I didn't read the article at all - I thought the post was sincere :)  Took me all of 3 seconds to see what it was really about though.

OD

Keranu

Military Madness!
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »
I didn't bother reading it too, I just wanted to piss GUTS off. ;)