Author Topic: So I finally finished Neutopia  (Read 1039 times)

neopolss

So I finally finished Neutopia
« on: August 17, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »
It only took me a good 15 years or so to get around to it, but I finally finished this damn game.  I figured I would offer my thoughts on this title.
[ul][li]Great music, I loved all of the tracks.[/li][li]Fire wand is badass.  I abused the shit out of it.[/li][li]Jumping enemies can suck a dick!  I hated getting hit from the top of the screen even when they werent on the same plane as me.[/li][li]Having a shop to buy my potions and bombs would have been better than bombing cave doors all the damn time[/li][li]Seriously, npcs have the most worthless things to say.[/li][li]The game had great bosses.  I enjoyed kicking the crap out of all of them.[/li][/ul]

Black Tiger

Re: So I finally finished Neutopia
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »
Possibly my favorite "Zelda" style game.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

gex

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 05:12:13 PM »
Very enjoyable game

grolt

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 05:27:44 PM »
I always really liked the presentation and layout of the game. How you'd go back to that main palace to save/warp/talk to the lady. Just felt nicely organized into worlds and an epic quest. The not being able to go diagonal thing was a real tough thing to get used to. Heard they fixed that in the sequel and I finally just found a copy so I am interested in checking it out. But yeah, agree with all the above points. Neutopia is just a nice charming Zelda clone, and for my money, like Golden Axe Warrior on the SMS, it does Zelda better than Zelda.
I'm a notorious strange man.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:40:42 AM »
It only took me a good 15 years or so to get around to it, but I finally finished this damn game.  I figured I would offer my thoughts on this title.
[ul][li]Great music, I loved all of the tracks.[/li][li]Fire wand is badass.  I abused the shit out of it.[/li][li]Jumping enemies can suck a dick!  I hated getting hit from the top of the screen even when they werent on the same plane as me.[/li][li]Having a shop to buy my potions and bombs would have been better than bombing cave doors all the damn time[/li][li]Seriously, npcs have the most worthless things to say.[/li][li]The game had great bosses.  I enjoyed kicking the crap out of all of them.[/li][/ul]

Did you use passwords, memory, or emulation save states?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 02:52:20 AM »
Neutopia's a nice one to finally beat, but now ya gotta beat Neutopia II!

I love using the wands to push jerks around the screen, turning around to pin 'em up against a wall and still in range 'til they're dead.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 02:57:37 AM »
It is a fun game. When I revisit it, I am going to play I and II black to back....something I never did.
  |    | 

lukester

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 03:22:17 AM »
I prefer 2 overall, due to an interconnected world, more fun mechanics and the improved graphics. The fire wand is a bit glitchy but the other magics work well.

I liked the dungeons that didn't have anything but a boss. The amoeba was cool.

Not as many walls to bomb either...but too many block puzzles.

In all honesty, my favorite "Zelda" on the PC engine is Ys IV. The escherspace was mind blowing, and an unforgettable final boss.

blueraven

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:06:55 AM »
Well done.

Still looking for a loose huey to do the same.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

spenoza

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Awesome except for one thing... the hit behavior on the fire wand. If you turn around as the projectile hits an enemy, it zooms toward you instead of away from you.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

neopolss

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »
I played it with memory save on my Duo.

I really had an issue with the enemies being able to hit you when they were jumping but not technically on the same plane.  It seemed a little lazy, especially when they leave a shadow to indicate their position.

I destroyed the centipede boss and the turtle boss in seconds by spamming multiple fire wands up close.  Pretty epic.

I agree with whoever mentioned bombing walls.  Almost every screen, pretty silly.  Usually just to get some idiot villager to spout random garbage about their life before the Dirth.

I look forwrd to playing the sequel.

crazydean

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 05:04:17 PM »
I look forwrd to playing the sequel.

Think it'll take another 15 years?
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

ccovell

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 09:04:40 PM »
By the way, my page here has basically full maps to both Neutopia games: http://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html

jonebone

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »
I beat it about a month ago and enjoyed it.  Music seemed better than the sequel, though the sequel gameplay felt a bit better.

Overall, I'd give Neutopia about a 7.5 or 8/10.  Got repetitive towards the end, especially sphere 4.  Also way too much bombing, but there's more of that in the sequel too.

NightWolve

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 12:27:50 AM »
By the way, my page here has basically full maps to both Neutopia games: http://www.chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html

Wowser, you did a lot of grunt work for all that!!!