Author Topic: PC Cocoron  (Read 808 times)

gex

PC Cocoron
« on: August 18, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »
Never even knew there was a planned sequel to this game, I read a Facebook discussion about it and began my own research. Sounds like there's an individual with a prototype that refuses to dump the game or something?  ](*,)

If there are truly only two evils in this world, i believe he is both arrogant and gluttonous.

Only pictures i could find are extremely vibrant and look great. Truly a shame

NightWolve

Re: PC Cocoron
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:16:19 PM »
Looks great if for real. I'm almost questioning if you needed SuperGrafx to pull that off.

gex

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:28:30 PM »
I know if anyone has anymore info this is the place. Very curious if anyone has any insight on this

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »
A person in Japan has a copy and put up a page with lots of shrunken screenshots. Some of the European hoarders like their competitors to believe that they posses a copy. But it is likely that as people take them to their grave, they'll slowly become lost forever.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

lukester

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:46:52 AM »
It would be nice to pool together our resources to get the game someday and dump it. What would the cost be at this point? $10,000? At least we know that "Japan Game Preservation Society" guy has it.

PC Engine fans deserve another great platformer, and Mega Man fans could use a "new game" after waiting so long. But I'm just dreaming.

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 03:03:27 AM »
It would be nice to pool together our resources to get the game someday and dump it. What would the cost be at this point? $10,000? At least we know that "Japan Game Preservation Society" guy has it.

PC Engine fans deserve another great platformer, and Mega Man fans could use a "new game" after waiting so long. But I'm just dreaming.

Lol, what's-his-face claims that Marble Madness cost him 30 grand years ago. PC Cocoron would be no less than $100,000 now.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »

Let's see...I think Covell has screenshots and magazine page scans about PC Cocoron (and many other unreleased games).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:04:11 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

ccovell

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »
No, I have no mag scans of PC Cocoron.  Anyway, the game has been dumped and there are emulator screenshots out there.  The owner of the game, though, has not/ is not releasing the ISO.

gex

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
A person in Japan has a copy and put up a page with lots of shrunken screenshots. Some of the European hoarders like their competitors to believe that they posses a copy. But it is likely that as people take them to their grave, they'll slowly become lost forever.

Exactly what the discussion was about :( they mentioned a french forums or something. Offered a guy 1k euros for the dump and he still declined, elgidely

esteban

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
No, I have no mag scans of PC Cocoron.  Anyway, the game has been dumped and there are emulator screenshots out there.  The owner of the game, though, has not/ is not releasing the ISO.

Hmmm, I guess it was someone else who posted magazine scans in an old thread here.

:)
  |    | 

lukester

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
Some info about the Game Preservation Society. Asked around online

The guy said in the Untold History bookthat their goal was to at least make their database public in the future. He also says that PC Cocoron is not him, it was lend by a private collector who is part of the association only for preservation purpose and he can't show it. It seems it's only a port of the original Famicom game.

Having played most of Cocoron, a lot of the magazine screenshots show identical areas and bosses to the famicom game, though some things I don't recognize. Things like the bird character and the fat witch. Still pretty interesting...

esteban

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 04:37:47 AM »

JapanTokei's thread: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8277.0

Because I know you are all lazy bastards (look closely, this is not the same preview from the first thread):

SOURCE: Nando posted that image in this old thread http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6981.msg117323#msg117323

And then, for the bonus LOL: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=368.0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:11:19 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

gex

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 06:35:16 AM »
Very very sad

gatsu25

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »

If this is the case I can ask him directly about it.  It might be a couple months until I see him again, I'm not sure.  For now, the main priority of the preservation society is things that are being lost quickly due to bad medium; old pc floppies and such.  If he does have a copy, rest assured it will not be lost.

blueraven

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:59 AM »
I'd gladly contribute to this; I posted a thread about 10 years ago when I first joined looking for the game; I got it mixed up with Coryoon, and about 20 people PM'd me either asking for screenshot verification of the emu, telling me I didn't have it, telling me that I was an a$$hole for even SUGGESTING that I may have had it, or calling me a flat-out liar. Probably the hardest I've ever been bagged on here at PCEFX; esteban if I recall was the one who told me to double-check the filename on my old Win98 PC, and when It turned out to be Coryoon, the tsunami subsided.

As many of us here have frustratingly endured the ressurection of this topic, and confirmation that there is indeed a copy floating around (at least one, 2 or 3 is probably more likely, and they ain't telling), we can only assume that the owner is doing exactly that; holding on to the proto in hopes that it will buy him (or her) a ranch or house in the hills somewhere.

Truthfully, I think that the release of the proto will only cause and increase in the price, making whomever is hoarding the game even more money should they ever decide to sell it. There is, however, the worry that the Hu or Disc on which it is stored will degrade over time, and the game will be forever lost to the universe, kind of like Goonies II (the movie, not the NES game). Or maybe I'm f*cking wrong, and it will become a penny Hu. But probably not. Keith Courage just sold for $40 on eRipoff.

But what do I know. I'm just another person who wants to play the game.

And FYI I just opened a few sealed games. TO PLAY. (Babel, and Fire Pro Wrestling)

caw
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol