Author Topic: Might & Magic III Live Stream  (Read 947 times)

SavagePencil

Might & Magic III Live Stream
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:02:28 AM »
EDIT:  We're live now:  https://www.twitch.tv/savagepencil

After the success of this thread ( http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=21264.0 ), I'd like to plan a livestream of M&M III this weekend.  I'm thinking of doing an all-day Sunday marathon.  My goal would be for participants to indicate their characters' actions and make party decisions.  We won't necessarily be in it to win it.

It will be my first time playing this version of M&M III, as I played it on the PC when it first came out.  I'll try to get up to speed with it beforehand to remember the game systems and to see what changed in its transition to home console.

Manual can be found here:  http://www.tg-16.com/contributors/bernie/Might_and_Magic_III/Might_and_Magic_III.pdf
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:52:32 AM by SavagePencil »

esteban

Re: Might & Magic III Live Stream
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:51 AM »
If I am home Sunday, I will try to catch some of this. :)

I don't know if many folks enjoy M&MIII, but you can use this as a desktop to show your love:

http://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1993_11.htm

TRIVIA: the artwork is by Akihiro Yamada, I believe.
  |    | 

SavagePencil

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:56:14 AM »
Oh yeah, I didn't think we'd actually stop and take turns.  It would be more about consensus-building for what to do and how to approach the game.  At the end of the day, I'm holding the control pad!

Punch

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:59:35 AM »
YES!

good luck on your playthrough. This is one of my favorite Duo games.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
It's a shame we never saw Heroes of Might and Magic 1 for the Duo. They share a lot of the same character portraits. Anyway, best of luck to you! Longgggg game. :)

SavagePencil

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 04:02:33 AM »
Can someone with experience with the TG16 version offer any advice for party creation?  I ask because a) I don't know how different the console version is from the PC version, and b) my memory of the PC version is hazy and keeps bleeding over into the sequel Clouds of Xeen.

I seem to remember liking the idea of a Barbarian (bad armor, OK HP, high #/attacks) but ultimately restarting after choosing one.  I remember finding myself often stranded.  My thoughts are:

[ul][li]2x Paladins[/li][li]1x Archer[/li][li]1x Ninja[/li][li]1x Sorcerer[/li][li]1x Cleric[/li][/ul]

...this makes a magic-heavy party with minor thieving capabilities and OK ranged capabilities.  Any inputs on how I should adjust?

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
Can someone with experience with the TG16 version offer any advice for party creation?  I ask because a) I don't know how different the console version is from the PC version, and b) my memory of the PC version is hazy and keeps bleeding over into the sequel Clouds of Xeen.

I seem to remember liking the idea of a Barbarian (bad armor, OK HP, high #/attacks) but ultimately restarting after choosing one.  I remember finding myself often stranded.  My thoughts are:

[ul][li]2x Paladins[/li][li]1x Archer[/li][li]1x Ninja[/li][li]1x Sorcerer[/li][li]1x Cleric[/li][/ul]

...this makes a magic-heavy party with minor thieving capabilities and OK ranged capabilities.  Any inputs on how I should adjust?

I usually go with:

1x Knight
1x Paladin
1x Ranger
1x Ninja
1x Sorcerer
1x Cleric

Just so I can have all three magics covered somewhat...

SavagePencil

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »

I usually go with:

1x Knight
1x Paladin
1x Ranger
1x Ninja
1x Sorcerer
1x Cleric

1.  What druid spells, besides Walk on Water, are good?
2.  Is Walk on Water a "must have"?  I can't remember if Levitate allows the same or not.
3.  How much better is a Knight vs. Paladin?  Is it enough to give up healings?

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »

I usually go with:

1x Knight
1x Paladin
1x Ranger
1x Ninja
1x Sorcerer
1x Cleric

2.  Is Walk on Water a "must have"?  I can't remember if Levitate allows the same or not.

Its been a while since I last played it but here it goes:
1&2. Create food I guess. Walk on water and levitate are completely different. Levitate is like more for avoiding traps.
3. I wouldn't say give up the Paladin all together. Its nice to have a backup healer. I'm all about well rounded parties. I played enough of Might and Magic and Wizardry games to know a balanced party is the way to go. :)

This is a good guide if you need one:
http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm3/

SavagePencil

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 03:08:28 AM »
1&2. Create food I guess. Walk on water and levitate are completely different. Levitate is like more for avoiding traps.
3. I wouldn't say give up the Paladin all together. Its nice to have a backup healer. I'm all about well rounded parties. I played enough of Might and Magic and Wizardry games to know a balanced party is the way to go. :)

Thanks for the link!  It confirmed for me that Create Food is also a cleric spell.  How critical is Walk on Water?  I seem to remember it was requisite at some point during the game, but can't remember if there were items that would do it for you.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »

Thanks for the link!  It confirmed for me that Create Food is also a cleric spell.  How critical is Walk on Water?  I seem to remember it was requisite at some point during the game, but can't remember if there were items that would do it for you.

I would say pretty critical. I don't recall how many times you get the item, but better to be safe than sorry. :)

Punch

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »

Etherealise can be used to swim freely, just use it once to swim past the shore you're in. Food is a non-issue. Natural spells = not important.
Being able to cast Wizard Eye, Teleport, Protect from Elements, Holy Bonus and Time Distortion is kings. Have 1 cleric and 1 arcane at least.

There's no arena and it seems that the port was made to be more forgiving (balanced?) than the PC version from what I can gather. Don't sweat too much about party creation. I did mine at "random" and I've beaten the game just fine.

escarioth

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 02:55:25 AM »
erf..i didnt play the game yet ...
and ill have have erase the whole memory to play a single game  :-s

ill definetly will have to repair that tenoki bank someday..  :roll:
US Hucards     :  83/94
US CD-games  : 40/44
total complete with boxes 54/111

SavagePencil

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 05:08:49 AM »

In an effort to preserve some other saves, I remembered that I had a Tennoke bank, but I found I didn't know WTF I was doing with it.  It appears you have to hit select to confirm a transfer direction, but then it never let me actually move shit over?  Are there instructions anywhere?

I already formatted the memory so that I could do M&M III but I'd like to know moving forward.  I was using the Tennoke bank (HuCard) on a US Duo, with the region switch flipped to JP.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 05:23:06 AM »

In an effort to preserve some other saves, I remembered that I had a Tennoke bank, but I found I didn't know WTF I was doing with it.  It appears you have to hit select to confirm a transfer direction, but then it never let me actually move shit over?  Are there instructions anywhere?

I already formatted the memory so that I could do M&M III but I'd like to know moving forward.  I was using the Tennoke bank (HuCard) on a US Duo, with the region switch flipped to JP.

Covell translated it?

And Aaron (Pcefx) might have instructions here?

I know we had it...
  |    |