Author Topic: Pc-Engine Duo Power Brick Overheat  (Read 567 times)

sirhcman

Re: Pc-Engine Duo Power Brick Overheat
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
My advise is not to leave any PSU plugged in when not in use.

I agree, I always keep mine unplugged now when not in use!

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 07:16:04 PM »
That is a common misconception, japan uses 100V, where as U.S. uses 120V as confirmed by google and friends in the military stationed there. (not being a smartass)
Thanks for letting me know.
In Europe, there's a wide variety between 220V and 240V mains, but it doesn't really matter, since electric devices are made with these tolerances in mind for decades.

So it should be a similar situation as told by Necromancer.

And I agree with all those that say old style power supplies are wasteful even when the attached device is powered off.

I got a Goobay laptop style universal power supply for my Duo. It let's you select a variety of voltages using small jumper bricks, instead of the usual rotary switches. It also is able to supply enough current at the given voltage needed by the Duo, which is critical. Lots of cheaper popular universal supplies fail in that department.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:30:01 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:43 PM »
Unless you are dealing with high end and/or analog stuff, like tube state amps and Laserdisc players, you'll find that the USDM and JDM version of the same system won't even have different power supplies. Sometimes the sticker changes but the guts are the same. A device that wastes %90 of its wattage isn't going to have an issue with +/- %10 VAC input.