Author Topic: Bonk 3 Comfy Discussion Thread  (Read 927 times)

lukester

Bonk 3 Comfy Discussion Thread
« on: September 03, 2016, 07:50:45 AM »
I swear, every thread about this game on here has to do with the cost, or reproductions.

Let's talk about the game itself. I'm interested to hear everyone's perspectives. I know Necro is a big fan of Bonk 3.

I know the music is pretty poor overall, but the final stage tune is incredible. The jungle tune is decent.

The graphical quality seems to fluctuate between decent and poor. The ugliest level is the city level. The prettiest level is the colosseum level.

Enemy variety is the best in the entire series, SNES games included.

Level design is pretty excellent overall. A bit different style than Bonk 2, but I like it. Some of my favorite level designs are 1-2 Cave and the jungle levels.

One change I like over Bonk 2, is that meats seem to be a bit more prevalent. Juggling enemies is fun too.

The final boss fight is pretty well done, I think it's the best out of all the 16-bit Bonk games.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:56:07 AM by lukester »

Dicer

Re: Bonk 3 Comfy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Bonk=/=Bonk2>>>>>Bonk3

Also, Air Zonk>>>>>>>>Air Zonk hillbilly lackluster CD

Idk, Bonk I and II are both solid, then the whole thing falls apart from there, Idk if it was different teams or what have you but the later entries just feel gross (snes included) something was lost.

Bonk3 has it's moments,but it never touches the original or revenge.

Just my .02 on the matter.

Otaking

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »
I really like PC Genjin 3, the best thing about it is the 2 player.
I have a lot of nostalgia for it as I remember when it was released the PC Engine HuCards releases had slowed right down and I remember being excited to get it.

jtucci31

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
I really enjoyed the game when I played it. Some tunes were really good, others were not. It was an even balance of good/bad music making it mediocre to me.

I loved the tube stuff and watching little bonk fly all over the place. Big bonk was fun to use too. The mixture of both played for some fun times and level exploration. Much of (though not all) the level design is pretty good.

I also love the artwork on the JP hucard/cover. All of the JP Bonk artwork is way better than the US imo. That's why I switched over :)

Punch

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
I swear, every thread about this game on here has to do with the cost, or reproductions.

You mean people actually PLAY with their collectibles? What is this nonsense? :lol:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
Bonk 3 is OK. I think by the time Bonk 3 (or PC Genjin 3 for the weeaboos) came around, the world had grown tired of Bonk. That includes the developers. I thought it was cool turning big and small the first couple of times I did it but after that It was an annoying feature. Besides giant Bonk, the game offered no progression in graphical technology. The music in the HuCard version is better than the CD version. There is also more animation in the HuCard versio due to the severe limitations of the Super CD-ROM technology. This is why Nintendo stuck with carts on the N64, people.

Punch

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
This is why Nintendo stuck with carts on the N64, people.

Ironically this time the carts were very limited instead of the Playstation/Saturn CDROMs.

Otaking

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
I really like PC Genjin 3,

Bonk 3 (or PC Genjin 3 for the weeaboos)

Back then I was a huge, huge weeaboo, but I think I can get away with it as I became one 25 plus years before the name had been invented  :P . Back then in the UK people were like "WTF?? you're really in to Japanese culture and cartoons??? how bizarre that's the most random shit ever".
Also our experience in the UK of NEC consoles/games was importing the PC Engine from Japan. US Turbografx imports were extremely rare here. So when I think back to that time it's PC Genjin 3 not Bonk 3.  :D 

exodus

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 07:05:40 AM »
I think the level design is uninspired, too reliant on gimmicks and mazes. the two player is nice, but you can accidentally kill each other by keeping the screen in one area... it just doesn't feel as cohesive as the prior two games.

esteban

Bonk 3 Comfy Discussion Thread
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
Ok, so I only completed this game on the Wii with my daughter.

In the past, I had a chance to occasionally play it on PCE (fellow enthusiasts) and I always dismissed it (I wanted to try out other games). This was not a fair way to judge Bonk 3... but for 15 years I simply thought it was "OK"... Again, based on my lack of enthusiasm for it relative to other games (like Soldier Blade), and not for any particular problem with Bonk 3 itself.

I can't speak of the 1-player experience (I've played sporadically over the years), but it was fun as a 2-player coop, even though it suffered from the typical "oops, the leader has to backup/backtrack in order for partner to advance. Personally, I don't think this is a flaw, it simply is the nature of 2-player games of this sort.

Now, a more annoying issue is when one/both players must be BIG/small to pass a point:  you have to backtrack/maneuver for candy to  respawn... It's not horrible, but it can be slightly annoying if one of the players has "low SKILLZ" (my daughter improved). 

Bonk 3 HuCARD wasn't a particularly challenging game (none of the PC Genjin's are), but overall it was WAY more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be.

I still haven't given this game a fair 1-player outing, so I will reserve judgement on it.

For the record, I do *not* consider Bonk's Revenge to have supreme superiority over Bonk 1 (when Bonk 2 was released, I *did* feel it was *vastly* superior to Bonk 1, but my opinion of Bonk 1 have changed over the years and now I *love* it more than I ever thought I would).

So, with that in mind, I am willing to give Bonk 3 a real chance to win my heart.

As for Bonk 3 CD—I never really played it (briefly with friends), so I can't judge it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:45:12 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Bonknuts

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
The first Bonk game has fantastic gameplay (best out of all of them) and the atmosphere and character is just awesome. The second Bonk game added better graphics, environments, and overall better level design. The Bosses a little hit or miss in the design department, and the gameplay was nurfed, but overall it was a great sequel that more than added to the whole Bonk experience.

Bonk 3 is an odd duck. They changed quite a bit of things, which seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing, but for me - it just lacks the polish and production value of the previous two games. The graphics are much more miss than hit, taking a step back from Bonk's Revenge and even less pleasing to the eye than Bonk's Adventure. They have a very generic look and lack detail/color, not only for the time it was released but over all in the series contained to the PC-Engine/TG16/Duo.

The Big/small mechanics are nice, but they don't make up for what's missing in this game. The two player mode is where this game shines in my opinion. But that's also part of the problem. Playing two players kind of distracts for how bland and uninspiring the level design layout really is, but majority of experience in this game is solo action. I really can only enjoy this game as two players simultaneously play.

The music is sort of self-evident in how the game has lost its character. The music of the previous two games were instantaneously recognizable, and didn't sound like any other TG16 game (still doesn't; love those trumpet instruments in the first two games). The music on this game is sooo forgettable.

Overall, I feel this game falls short of the first two games. While it does have some redeemable content such as different style environments/level designs, and two player mode, it feels more like a failed effort in the series than anything else.

Maybe I can replace the CD tracks in the CD version with Bonk style music to see if that enhances the atmosphere (I haven't played the CD version in ages; I assume it uses CD tracks).

NightWolve

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
I call it, "Bonk III: Bonk's Big Boring Adventure..." That is all.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »
Bonk III is my least favorite but I am glad we have it.  1 had the best spin attack for sure.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

gheebee

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »
Really not sure why the big and small Bonk powerups put me off on this one because once I played it the game felt like a worthy entry into the series even though I liked it less than the previous two. Oh, and once again the US got cheated out of crossdressing Bonk. lol

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 05:35:30 PM »
It's not a bad game by any means. Just not worth the price it commands these days. If I'm gong to spend $100+ on something, it better be damn good as in Dracula X good. Enough said.