Author Topic: Turbo/PCE vs Genesis/MD: RPG library  (Read 1207 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Turbo/PCE vs Genesis/MD: RPG library
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 09:25:44 AM »
There's a crapload more war sims, I was just listing some "strategy rpgs/ tactical rpgs".

There are also quite a few JRPGs which feature tactical elements in their battles, where you position units each turn.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gypsy

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »
Sorcerer's Kingdom is also a pretty decent tactical RPG for Genesis, not really that well known either.

This looks interesting. Price isn't too bad either (loose).

poponon

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
one md rpg that doesnt get mentioned too often, but i enjoyed quite a bit is 'king colossus'. neat little action rpg. also has a translation patch.

seieienbu

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »
one md rpg that doesnt get mentioned too often, but i enjoyed quite a bit is 'king colossus'. neat little action rpg. also has a translation patch.

I have a similar thought for Dark Wizard on Sega/Mega CD not getting much praise.  Dark Wizard is a tactical RPG where you pick from one of 4 characters and you attempt to conquer the world.  In some respects it's similar to Saturn's Dragon Force but with hex grid combat more reminiscent of Military Madness/Nectarsis on the Turbografx/PC Engine.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
Is Traysia any good? I always heard it kinda sucked and I avoided it.

I thought Traysia was a fun game.  It felt very Ultima like, as opposed to being JRPGlike.

The presentation and style is basically Ultima 3 for the most part.

Worth playing, I think.

There are some catchy tunes too.

It's actually a pretty nice soundtrack that's rarely talked about.

battle tune is pretty great.

so is the title, and many other tunes.

Underrated as hell, to me.

Super Hydlide is also a good game to play, but it's kind of goony.  It's originally a PC98/MSX game.

I love that game.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

technozombie

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 11:27:24 PM »

I thought Traysia was a fun game.  It felt very Ultima like, as opposed to being JRPGlike.

Worth playing, I think.

Super Hydlide is also a good game to play, but it's kind of goony.  It's originally a PC98/MSX game.

I love that game.
I watched a little bit of gameplay on youtube and it seems ok. One of the reasons I was asking is because a store near me was asking around $50 for it. I think the cost has mainly to do with the fact it is a Rennovation release.

xelement5x

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »

Worth playing, I think.

I love that game.
I watched a little bit of gameplay on youtube and it seems ok. One of the reasons I was asking is because a store near me was asking around $50 for it. I think the cost has mainly to do with the fact it is a Rennovation release.

It's really weird how Renovation has gotten it's own little cult around the games they brought out for the Genesis.  Even that Tennis game is worth money since it was brought out by them!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

goldenband

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
I found Traysia disappointing, sloppy, and dull. I didn't hate it, but I was glad I didn't spend big bucks to get a copy and just played it on my EverDrive instead. It's full of bugs and typos, the character motion feels like something is wrong with the game, and it occasionally gets spectacularly aggravating when you're trying to make progress.

Too bad, because the script has a couple flashes of better-than-average RPG writing -- it could've been a nice game. That little "hitch" every few steps you take is ridiculous, though.

technozombie

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 03:47:57 PM »

Worth playing, I think.

I love that game.

It's really weird how Renovation has gotten it's own little cult around the games they brought out for the Genesis.  Even that Tennis game is worth money since it was brought out by them!
Yeah, it's definitely something I don't get.

sanjo

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »
I always thought Renovation games were really hit or miss.
I think maybe some liked it due to its anime style graphics and character design and music.
game play was usually just ok or bad. like doomsday warrior or el viento

technozombie

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 04:17:04 PM »
I actually found Doomsday Warrior at a garage sale about a year ago, what an awful game lol.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 06:50:20 PM »
Reno games have a cult following by people on Facebook (who made a group even!) because it's localized crap that they can actually read!

lol.

Anyway, yeah don't pay 50$ for Traysia.

I got that shit boxed for 8$ years ago.   I would never pay >20$ for it.  Find a loose one or Everdrive it.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »
It's really weird how Renovation has gotten it's own little cult around the games they brought out for the Genesis.

Imma blame the Sack...

When Renovation was releasing games, I do recall drooling over their ads, there was some slick looking games plus they had Gaiares (overrated, yes. Still good, of course). The magazine ad with Granda/Final Zone/??? always made me interested in picking them up...ended up renting to satisfy my urge.

PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

xelement5x

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:39 AM »
I agree, their quality to crap ratio was skewed relatively high in the good way.  I think the only Renovation title I still want at this point is Vapor Trail. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

technozombie

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
I picked up elemental master ages ago from a video store that was going out of business. It's prettt good although I never actually played it that much. I think i paid $3.