Author Topic: Turbo/PCE vs Genesis/MD: RPG library  (Read 1204 times)

sanjo

Turbo/PCE vs Genesis/MD: RPG library
« on: October 05, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »
since moving to Japan, Ive picked up someones childhood Super Famicom for free! and started collecting for it. Next is either the Genesis/Megadrive or the PCE/Turbo.

16bit RPGs are my fave (standard rpgs, action rpgs, strategy rpgs, etc).

Which of these two consoles (including add ons) had the bigger library? which had the better library?

off the top of my head

for sega: PS2, PS3, PS4, Langrisser 1, Shining Force 1, 2, Shining in the Darkness, Traysia, Surging Aura, Wonderboy 3,4, Beyond Oasis, Exile, Popful Mail, Ragnacenty, Lunar 1, Lunar 2, Vay, Landstalker.

PC-E: Neutopia 1,2, Ys1 and 2, Ys 4, Dragon Slayer 1, 2, Xak 3, Dungeon Explorer, Emerald Dragon, Exile, Fray, Gotzendeiner, Legend of Xanadu

According to this site it seems http://retoro.g-player.com/pc-engine/rpg/index.html
Genesis/Megadrive (including sega cd) - 54
Turbografx/PCE (including the cd) - 90

Since I had the sega as a child (but sold it to get a saturn). Phantasy star 2 and 4 were very memorable. I also really enjoyed Shining force 1 and 2, and Ragnacenty (crusader of centy). I know the genesis got criticized for its sound, but I felt games that utilized its strong bass and either upbeat or techno/fast paced style music, sounded really good.

the PCE, I could only access some of its library when I reached college. I know Neutopia was its zelda clone, but felt it was far less interesting to me than Ragnacenty or Beyond Oasis. the PCEs hu-card music sounded slightly worse than the NES (imho) and I felt a lot of its rpgs didnt push its graphical powers, even the cd ones. That said, I thought Legend of Xanadu looked like a late gen SNES game. Ys 1,2 left a lasting impression. I never finished the 4th one but it looked good to me. There were no strategy rpgs on the system that stood out to me. I'm interested in trying some Japanese language ones now that I picked up the language.
what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:44:41 PM by sanjo »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Turbo/PCE vs Genesis/MD: RPG library
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »
PCE has a better library overall, but MD has Phantasy Star going for it.

and Shining Force/in The Darkness

and Lunar 1 and 2.

Those are pretty high end.  PCE doesn't have many things that are as good as Lunar 2 was. 

Cosmic Fantasy series on PCE is worth playing, for sure.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »
I agree. Sega has some very high quality RPGs from the 16-bit days but overall PCE wins.

technozombie

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 12:53:30 AM »
Is Traysia any good? I always heard it kinda sucked and I avoided it.

sanjo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 01:35:45 AM »
Is Traysia any good? I always heard it kinda sucked and I avoided it.

game sucked, I hated the graphics and combat system. but I thought the music was okay. story had potential but didn't really come together well.

poponon

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 01:40:57 AM »
there are a ton of japanese pc engine rpgs i'd like to play at some point when i can improve my japanese a little more.  here are some that haven't been mentioned that I think have that pc-engine "atleast slightly above average and interesting" charm that really makes me want to play them through.

tengai makyou series
linda cube  (this is the original linda cube, right?)
sol moonrage
dragon slayer legend of heroes 2  (had alot of fun with the first one.. is there an english version of 2 on any console?)
seiya monogatari anearth fantasy stories 
efera and jiliora (always wanted to play through with a friend)

these ones all seem pretty high quality. kinda left out some of the lesser above-average ones that i would end up playing through if in english. also didnt mention translated ones

megadrive rpg library seems pretty limited in comparison to pc engine. i should give lunar another shot.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 02:11:50 AM »
PCE hands down.  There's good stuff on brown, of course, but overall there's a lot more on PCE.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 02:23:44 AM »
The Wizardry games (80% english) and Might and Magic games are good for one. Wizardry 4 is still my favorite. I have a list of quazi english games here that were released for the PCE if you are interested.
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14497.0
Someday I'll get a proper spreadsheet for them. Someday..

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 02:46:13 AM »
It really depends on what you like in a game. JRPGs are my favorite, so I still prefer the PC Engine overall, but CD games are what really make it a no brainer. I don't like the management style trend of SFC RPGs and how much they stretch assets.

Last time I counted, the SFC and PCE each have around 100 RPG'sh games.

You should try the Tengai Makyous, Neo Metal Fantasy, Anearth Fantasy Stories and Gulliver Boy.

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

xelement5x

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Sorcerer's Kingdom is also a pretty decent tactical RPG for Genesis, not really that well known either.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

sanjo

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »
Sorcerer's Kingdom is also a pretty decent tactical RPG for Genesis, not really that well known either.

speaking of strategy rpgs/ tactical rpgs.
how many were there on the pce?

I can think of just Langrisser 1

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 02:47:09 PM »

Macross Ein No Love Song. One of my favs too.

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »

Some more:

Louga
Louga II
Solid Force
Sword Master
Lady Phantom
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

deubeul

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 11:22:33 PM »
Neo Nectaris!

Speaking of jrpgs, Star Breaker seems very good too, it looks like a Startling Odisssey 2 in the space.

sanjo

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 12:30:07 AM »

Some more:

Louga
Louga II
Solid Force
Sword Master
Lady Phantom

Louga looks good! its a shame there's so little videos on them on youtube. even on NicoNico, there were only a handful. (I hate using Niconico, only premium users can skip around)